Raise geometry

dnoyeBdnoyeB Red Chipper Posts: 48 ✭✭
Has anyone noticed in the $1$2 game it's easier to get a call with a single $25 chip than with 5 $5 chips? And a $50 call is easier with 5 stacks of 2 chips laid out than with 2 stacks of 5 chips?

Are their any articles or book chapters on choosing your chips based on whether you do or do not want a call?

Comments

• bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12
    One thing I've noticed....if you're at a table where a player lays out a bet with 5 stacks of two chips, you're in a good game:)

I don't think I've paid much attention to this. However, there's certainly some merit to the chip denomination used. Usually people making $100 bets using black chips mean business.

• EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    Bart Hanson argues, for using green chips ($25) when you want calls latter on. If you c bet the flop for say $20 thorough out a green chip and get change...

His reason is if players see green chips in the pot, they assume the pot is bigger (or can count the pot more easily) and thus are more likely to call your 3/4 pot bet (or whatever) on the turn.
  • jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 717 ✭✭✭
    @bigburge10 I've noticed this too at the lower levels. Players covet them high value chips like somehow they are worth more than 20 $5 reds. I haven't really noticed a strong correlation between green chips and hand strength. I think some people just prefer the ease of throwing in a chip or two.
  • dnoyeBdnoyeB Red Chipper Posts: 48 ✭✭
    @Eazzy you bring up another good point. Putting in raises with chips and getting change. Feels weaker asking for change. Of course this shouldn't affect good players. But when were talking about $1$2 mostly we are talking about exploiting weaknesses.
    jfarrow13 wrote: »
    Players covet them high value chips like somehow they are worth more than 20 $5 reds.
    Which is why I typically bring zero small chips to the table. For example, my normal game has a $800 max buy in. I usually bring $300 in Green and $500 in Black. Not a single red chip. There's always some idiot buying in for $800 of red who can make change for me. Also, why is it that the guy who buys in for all low value chips can NEVER handle them? He may face a $75 bet and it'll take them an eternity to count those out. Maybe they have a reason too? To tilt me.

If we ever play together @bigburge10 $100 of my buy-in will be in $1 and $2 chips :)
    jfarrow13 wrote: »
    If we ever play together @bigburge10 $100 of my buy-in will be in $1 and $2 chips :)

That will tilt me slightly. You can further tilt me by making a $5 bet using 5 single chips, in stacks of one. Then, you can push me off the tilt edge if you pretend to not understand how chips stack. For example, the guy who counts out 5 chips, one at a time, and then needs one more stack of 5, but instead of simply matching it up to the already counted stack.....they count them out individually again. When this happens, I'm tempted to say "You know what...nevermind, I check"
    Haha, I think they are thinking when they do it man, instead of normal people who just sit there quietly thinking or chip shuffling. Maybe they are trying to get "sick live reads", but I generally see older players do it like count it chip, by chip, by chip by chip stack it up, sit for a bit. Recount, as if they could somehow put in the wrong amount, and then be like "I can't even call this I fold." I can't imagine a player doing this at $2-5. How much dealer? $850 all-in? Lemme take red chip inventory to see if he has me covered,.
  • DubiousBetDubiousBet Red Chipper Posts: 10 ✭✭
    I don't have any hard data on this, but for larger bets like $75 it seems like I get fewer calls if I throw out 3 green chips than if I stack out 3 stacks of 5 reds. When someone throws out a single black chip for a $100 bet, they absolutely have some strong equity in the hand.

Unlike @bigburge10 , when I see people with atrocious chip handling, I don't get tilted, I start salivating. I also root for them in every pot they are in that I'm not. Sure it takes a little longer to get through their hands because they take 4x longer to get their chips in the middle, but I can be patient for a customer like that.
  • dnoyeBdnoyeB Red Chipper Posts: 48 ✭✭
    My chip handling is rather blundersome. I only stack 10 high because 20 and I start toppling my chips over when I try to raise. Especially if I get the nuts. So I keep my chips sorted because if you see me fumbling and dropping my chips you pretty much know I've got the nuts :-)

Curious to find that chip colors are universal? I never knew that.