Player tendency reading exercise

Joshua BJoshua B Red Chipper Posts: 121 ✭✭
Hey guys,

want to share with you an exercise I recently practiced. Online poker without looking at your cards. This is not for fun nor just to gamble. This was to see how I perform while merely playing against player tendencies.

A small disclaimer: It was play money as Aussies are banned from online poker. This did make it harder as they are pretty much all terrible players. However, terrible players also have tendencies to be exploited.

I played a total of 3 SNGs consisting of 1 9 man and 2 18 man. It doesn't take long to work out who is playing tight, who are fish and who are total maniacs. My rules were quite simple. Fold out everything in early position. Open raise mid to late position and if in late position or blinds with limpers, raise. Please note. This is not an exercise to win the sng. It is merely to test hand reading skills. The final rule is if their is an all in at any stage of the hand, I can look at the cards to see if I should call.

An example. Hero on button. 9 handed with 4 limpers. All have history of raising with Ax and broadways. Hero raises 8x bb with UTG1 and MP calling. Flop comes :Qh :Jh :3d . UTG1 donks with a 2xbb into a 27xbb pot. MP min raise to 4xbb. I see both as weak bets, UTG1 has donk block bet on a draw previous. I thought a call here may better than another re raise and see what follows. UTG1 calls.

Pot= 39bb Turn :7c
Both check to Hero. Why would both check after leading and re raising. Seems too weak for my liking. Hero bets 20bb and both fold. What do you guys think of the reads and play?

Placing outcome: 5/9 7/18 7/18
9 man I shove on button with 11bb and get called by 73o who hits his 7 betting my K3
18 man I call an all in with KK, QT flops 2 pair.
18 man I shove with 8bb in co (look at AK after shove lol) and AQ calls. JJT5K for a bust.

Its an interesting feeling playing while not looking at cards. You are merely going of feel.

I just wanted to share this experience. Those who can play online would probably get better outcomes. Let me know if you have done this before or go and do it and let me know the results.

Comments

• EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    Ive done a similar one at live 1--poker, I have played for about two hours, not looking at my hands in the HJ CO and btn....(I peaked everywhere else) as just folding made little sense).

It is a great drill.
  • bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭✭
    Joshua B wrote: »
    However, terrible players also have tendencies to be exploited.

lol--I'd hope this is true! Otherwise, what the hell are we doing on this site?

I've played many sessions in this same manner and it's very fun. Really makes you think outside of the box and pay attention to the game.