Post flop strategy

Travis bicklesTravis bickles Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
Hi, I'm after a little advice to improve my strategy post flop when I miss the board. Example

In the button dealt AKs bet 3BB
One caller (loose player)
Flop comes 8h5cJd
I bet half pot and get called
Turn comes Ts
I bet third pot and get called
River comes 2c

What do I do?

Do I raise again or check fold?

Best Answer

Answers

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a lot of advice?

Start with learning what a bet is, how that relates to boards, position, sizing and the streets of play.
  • bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭✭
    Start by making some assumptions about your opponent's range and playing style. For each betting round, consider which hands your opponent would raise, fold, or call. As you work through this, you're decision will become more clear.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bigburge10 wrote: »
    Start by making some assumptions about your opponent's range and playing style. For each betting round, consider which hands your opponent would raise, fold, or call. As you work through this, you're decision will become more clear.

Don't start here, get here.
  • bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭✭
    persuadeo wrote: »
    Don't start here, get here.
    I suppose it's wise to learn to walk before running:)

• CruelPaiMeiCruelPaiMei Red Chipper Posts: 130 ✭✭
    You talkin’ to me?
  • CruelPaiMeiCruelPaiMei Red Chipper Posts: 130 ✭✭
    Ok... so I guess my one liner wasn't too helpful. Eh... just a crazy movie buff I guess.

Improving at any one thing in this game is a long process. The topic is a biggie though. One thing we all do, good and bad players alike, is miss the flop... a lot.

But, consider the hand history you're providing. It's way too general in and of itself. If you're on the button then I assume he's check calling? But then you ask if you can check fold the river and there is absolutely no way you can do that (as in, it's impossible).

There's a ton of free resources out there for post flop play, flop texture, c-betting (splitsuit youtube channel). Just find them and dig in.

Then post a well thought out HH with lots of player info along with your thought process of each street. You get what you give.