Big mistake barreling off with a 3-bet bluff?

deuce74daysdeuce74days Red Chipper Posts: 32 ✭✭
In the following hand, I had noticed throughout the session Villain (who I had been playing with for ~4 hours) had been opening a ton of hands in the CO and BTN. He didn't seem to be playing a very GTO strategy, but was trying to be more aggressive than the other players at the table and win hands that way.

Another important note, I'd been 3-betting a lot at this table. Villain had likely taken note of that.

Hand went as follows:

(1/2 NL at Harrah's in Vegas)
MP limp
Villain raises in the CO to 12
BTN calls
SB folds
I'm in the BB with :Ah :8s and decide it's a good spot to squeeze. It's probably ok to call here, but I would prefer to have the initiative OOP given Villain's playing style where I'll likely have to fold or x/r bluff a lot of flops to combat his high c-bet frequency.

I bump it up to 55 (3x the raise, plus 1x for the caller, plus a little extra to account for the limper and the fact that I'm OOP).
MP folds, CO calls, and BTN folds.

Effective stack is ~500.

Flop comes down 632 rainbow and I decide to put out a c-bet of 40 and the Villain calls.

I think this was where I made the mistake. After calling the 3-bet he likely has a lot of one pair hands that he's basically set-mining with (not necessarily a great play given effective stacks but not a huge mistake). This means he has a lot of overpairs, sets and pair plus gutshot type hands on this flop that he's almost never folding to a C-bet. I probably should have just given up on this flop considering how rarely it hits my range.

Turn is the :Qh and I bet again, this time 100 into 135, and the Villain calls again.

I don't mind this bet so much. It's a better card for my range than it is for his, and I have the backdoor nut flush blocker (not sure how relevant this is looking back, but it made me think I could barrel on heart rivers).

River is the :2h and I overbet shove for 360 into 335. Villain tanks for 3-5 mins and calls (spoiler below).

I think the overbet was a mistake, because I essentially polarize my range to only full houses, which are really difficult to have unless I have exactly QQ. I would prefer a bet of ~180, saving the rest of my stack and more credibly representing a backdoor flush, AQ or an overpair.

I don't think I'm ever getting a fold from a set here, but I think I can fold out most 44, 55 and 77-JJ type hands, which at this point make up most of his range I think.

What do you think of my play? I think it was probably overly spewy and expect a lot of call pre, x/c, x/f or call pre x/f suggestions, but would love some more in-depth range analysis feedback.

Comments

• bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭✭
    Another important note, I'd been 3-betting a lot at this table. Villain had likely taken note of that.
    If you've been 3 betting a lot and villain has noticed, why does this become a good squeeze spot?

• deuce74daysdeuce74days Red Chipper Posts: 32 ✭✭
    bigburge10 wrote: »

If you've been 3 betting a lot and villain has noticed, why does this become a good squeeze spot?

Yep, I agree. I think this was one of those tipping point hands where Villain put his foot down and decided to call down. Up until now, I hadn't seen anyone at the table adjust to my high 3-betting frequency and it had been very profitable.

It feels like I just picked the wrong player in that he was good enough to recognize my frequency and adjust to it.
  • Zero CoolZero Cool Red Chipper Posts: 128 ✭✭✭

Turn is the :Qh and I bet again, this time 100 into 135, and the Villain calls again.

I'm confused about the pot size. Pre-flop you 3-bet to 55 and he calls that should make the pot on the flop about 125. This would make your c-bet of 40 less then 1/3 pot, a clear sign of weakness.

Also I don't like the squeeze here with this hand against this opponent. V has show that he is positionally aware and therefore more likely to recognize the squeeze and your high 3bet frequency. If you are squeezing with A8o then unless you're also opening the top side of your range as well you're probably too bluff heavy.
    Zero Cool wrote: »

I'm confused about the pot size. Pre-flop you 3-bet to 55 and he calls that should make the pot on the flop about 125. This would make your c-bet of 40 less then 1/3 pot, a clear sign of weakness.

Also I don't like the squeeze here with this hand against this opponent. V has show that he is positionally aware and therefore more likely to recognize the squeeze and your high 3bet frequency. If you are squeezing with A8o then unless you're also opening the top side of your range as well you're probably too bluff heavy.

I bet small on the flop because I don't think either of us can have many draws here. I don't think he calls a 3-bet with many small suited connectors (may be wrong here), so he either has a pair or a set. I'd also bet small with my overpairs on this board.

As for my range, I was 3-betting wide but balancing that with value i.e. 99+, AQ+, and then choosing more spots than hands for when to bluff. I think you're right that he probably sniffed out I'd chosen this spot though, and was therefore very bluff heavy.
    edited November 14
    Zero Cool wrote: »

Sorry - I backed into the pot size from the river action. Update is below.
    Pot would have been ~130 on the flop, and I bet 40. Pot on the turn was 210, and I bet ~170. Pot on the river was 550 and I would have shoved for ~600. Stacks must have been a lot deeper than I thought.
  • CruelPaiMeiCruelPaiMei Red Chipper Posts: 130 ✭✭
    Has has previously seen you c-bet this small with your described 3-bet range? On a board that bricks like this?

I can't really see him folding any of his pre flop calling range to the tiny cbet. I would consider QJ to be near the bottom of his range so i can see him showing up with a lot of KQ-QJ on the turn that would have possibly folded to a healthy c-bet.

(I don't see the spoiler. Is it there?)
  • RoblivionRoblivion Red Chipper Posts: 10 ✭✭
    I think this is a bad hand choice for a 3-bet here. I'd be using hands that have a better chance of connecting with a flop, because it sounds like he's going to be playing with you often, and will have position. Not to mention the button who may come along.

You'll also end up catching a lot of weird flops like this where your hand strength is unclear and other players will be able to put pressure on you. Especially this deep.
    Villain called me down with :9s :9c