Is there a mental device for Multiway Preflop Equities?

Ahmad RAhmad R Red Chipper Posts: 10 ✭✭
I understand that it's tough to calculate multiway preflop equities due to ranges providing large variances. But I wanted to know if anyone knows of a simple device to calculate your equity?

For example, if heads up 86o has 36% equity against AJ, maybe adding another overpair or range divides the 36% by half down to 18%? I used half as arbitrary for whatever simple device you might know.

Comments

• Ahmad RAhmad R Red Chipper Posts: 10 ✭✭
    I appreciate the link to a tool, but I was looking for something I can do mentally if possible.
  • WardoYTWardoYT Red Chipper Posts: 191 ✭✭
    Ahmad R wrote: »
    I appreciate the link to a tool, but I was looking for something I can do mentally if possible.

That's a strange word for a formula...
    Not really looking for a formula. Just an estimation technique (if there exists one, it's possible no one knows of one)
  • SullySully Red Chipper Posts: 574 ✭✭✭
    Honestly I would put all my efforts into figuring out how NOT to go multi way.

Why? It's very hard to figure out equities and ranges when we are now in a bingo pot and villains could have anything

edited November 15
    I mean it for the sake of preflop action. Like how much equity weak hands have in order to call multiway situations.
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    my guess is if you just look at hu equity, and then 3 way equity, for different types of hands...you will begin to see patterns develop. Make a rule, then continue to test, modify rule make exceptions...test some more. get an AHA moment,.

Then post it so lazy poster like me can get an easy aha mommoment.
    Haha I think you might be right. I will at some point this week (I think)
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    Sully wrote: »
    Honestly I would put all my efforts into figuring out how NOT to go multi way.

Why? It's very hard to figure out equities and ranges when we are now in a bingo pot and villains could have anything

well I would argue this point, as I've done very well understanding multi way pots. Yes villains can have more hands...but weak ranges tend to hit flops weakly. Add to this that players tend to play multi way pots very straight forward, and its printing money.

But yes, you do not need to understand equities in multiway pots as much, do to the fact that they are played so straight forward. You instead just need a genreal feel of how loose ranges, played in many places hit flops.
  • Yanming ZYanming Z Red Chipper Posts: 89 ✭✭
    IMO, instead of mentally calculating your equity preflop, try to learn to play the way where the situation fits your hand. High pairs, big Ax, KQ should never be played in a multiway pot, these hands should always be 3 betting to isolate, where the equity will be easy to estimate. Speculative hands, such as suited connectors, suited Ax, and small pairs, implied odds should be more important than equity, where you can call in a multiway, just make sure the implied odds is at least 20-30 times the amount you are calling with.

The problem dealing with equity preflop is that you are rarely able to realize your equity in a multiway pot. Also there are so much more money going into the pot post flop than preflop, where the post flop equity is much more important.

If you are still curious, build a table where you can record the hands of interest, against top 30% range. You can do this on many equity sites, and repeat for 3 ways, 4 ways etc. and memorize the table.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    Good question, but I don't think that it's a worthwhile path to pursue.

It's multiway and gets to you. There are bigger questions to ask. Say that you're the BB.

Question 1: Given the opponents in the hand, is a bluff-raise if limped to you or a squeeze if raised and called before you a viable option?
    Question 2: If I flat-call and flop a monster, will these opponents pay me off?
    Question 3: If I flat-call and flop a draw, do I know how to maximize my winnings while minimizing my losses playing this hand OOP against these opponents?
    Question 4: If I hit part of the flop, do I have the discipline to fold? And what if my hand improves on the turn but another V is showing remarkable strength?
    Question 5: Do I have the hand-reading and V-reading ability to make this call profitable?

Those questions, IMO, are FAR more worthwhile than calculating whether or not you have, say, 36% or 29% or 16% equity in the hand especially since, multiway, you have no real way of knowing any other player's holdings. Let's simplify: you're behind, and likely way behind.

Now, if you're in a later position or the SB and there are multiple limpers/callers in front of you, you have to consider the additional possibility of being raised behind you before going to the questions above.