10NL "Mexican Straight" Line Check

SliverOverlordSliverOverlord Red Chipper Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
Hey guys,

I recently played a hand at 10NL on Global that I was hoping to get a line check on. Folding on the turn felt kind of nitty given all the draws, but I'm not sure if the villain in the hand is going to bluff enough to make it a call. Even if he is going to bluff every FD, every Pair+BDFD turned FD, and overplay all of his sets, 2pair, and TP, I think I'm just drawing to 3-4 outs too often. Any thoughts, confirmations, or disagreements would be awesome!

5 handed,

Player#3482 Small Blind 0.05 (11.79)
Player#5815 Big Blind 0.1 (9.67)
Villain #2558 Raise 0.2 (9.73)
Hero Raise 0.8 (24.79)
Player#1681 Fold (10.11)
Player#3482 Fold
Player#5815 Fold
Villain#2558 Call 0.6

Note: I prefer a 3bet here to a flat, although I was relatively new to the table, the 2 bettor had been playing TAGgy, and seemed to be folding more often than calling in a majority of spots. One of the players behind was a little sticky pre, which led me to 3betting. I'd rather not go postflop 3way with a hand that I will have to give up a large chunk of the time with. I'd rather flat the more middling SCs and S1Gs.

Pot (1.75)
Community cards: :9h: :8d: :7d:
Villain #2558 Check
Hero Bet 1.42
Villain #2558 Call 1.42

Note: Very wet board. I like going very large here with a cbet to get as much value as possible.

Pot (4.59)
Community cards: :Jh:
Player#2558 Bet 4.59
Hero Fold
Player#2558 Muck

Comments

• Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15
    Who do you think this boards belongs to ?

Also, you could go a lot smaller flop, with a much more wider range in a 3B pot specially when V is TAG. If you know he is folding a lot, just don't go that big i would say.

If you know that he is floating a shit ton of hands then you narrow your continuation range, bet bigger and lean toward value when you craft your Cbet range and this is implying that you Cbet obv.

When you bet that big, he cross the commitment threshold on flop so on turn he is a lot less incentivize to fold when you do bet your bluffing range. It's important to understand that.

So it will leave you with tougher choices on Turn with some parts of your range when V do check again.
  • Guilherme SGuilherme S Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Whats your hand?
  • SliverOverlordSliverOverlord Red Chipper Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15
    Note: Very wet board. I like going very large here with a cbet to get as much value as possible

A couple of things comes to mind.

First this is a 3B(4x) pot vs. a shorter stack not a 2B pot. A long term approach that will benefit you greatly in 3B pot is sizing down your Cbet. Once you start to see a tendency from V on how he play 3B pot then you could adjust differently.

At those stakes, generally, players that Cbet big in 3B pot have strong hands.

The problem for you is if someone is a bit observant and you adjust not quickly enough, he could make your life tougher in a lot of spots Turn in 3B pot vs. You against those big Cbet sizing. All this depend on how you'll play Turn in your strategy and how many bluffs you bring to Turn within your Cbet range.
  • SliverOverlordSliverOverlord Red Chipper Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Adam Wheeler I wasn’t playing my range at all OTF, taking into account how infrequently I’ll show up with a straight. The more I think about my range I realize how that large sizing over the long run hurts when trying to work in overpairs for value as well as the better portions of my range.