Live Player Notes and Fishy Games....

Patrick LawlerPatrick Lawler Red Chipper Posts: 93 ✭✭
Hi Guys,

It's been a while ... so I've found my way in to a really juicy private game, but part of it being juicy is the shear lack of folding that goes on. You know the style: 4 limps to you you make it 10x and you still get 4 callers. i know that Soto and Berkey preach pain thresholds but these people don't have them (and/or i don't have the money to find them). The usual strat is to keep it tight and jsut have a stronger range than these lose passive fish. but this is a private game and they 're already sussing this out. So, would love to hear some any of you guys who have access to games like this and how you approach them?

Second (loosely linked) question. now that i'm in this game i'm playing the same guys twice a week so there is just so much information just begging to be collected. I have started up a OneNote book to take some subtle notes on these players to then take home and possibly build some ranges and get some serious off-table work done...

Do you lovely people have any tips, tricks and 'must do's' when taking notes on players at the table. what should we be focusing on etc?

Thanks as always!

Comments

• EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    Mostly you want to value bet these games to death, until they play back at your.

This means you raise hands that flop top pair good kicker type thing....but might consider limping hands, like 65s...as you are not planning on bluffing a lot with a bit of equity.

This assume its not just preflop and flop that they are loose. If raised pots are going 5 way, and there still calling bets on later streets, large river bets get called, sometimes 3 way...then value bet them to death.

Ed talks about this in the course, a bit. He made a video here (I think the second one on his course series.) that covers this kind of game.

For note taking...The most important thing, is seeing how loose they call. And what they will play back on. If 4 or 5 people are calling 10 times bets, a lot they have to be calling with 50% type ranges. So other then realizing they don't hit the flop strong very often, preflop ranging is not going to do you much.

Your base plan is to hit tip pair good kicker + and barrel it for stacks. But fold if the raise you. So you need to know who is not calling that light, and who is raising with draws, or other semi bluffs in the multi way pots.

• moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭
    What are the stakes and buy-ins?

Absent knowing that, I don't completely agree with @Eazzy. Limp-calling big raises pre-flop is NOT a definite indicator that these players are fish post-flop who'll call down with 2nd or 3rd pair. IMO, that is actually a disastrous assumption. Some players who limp-call a ton do so because they rely on out-playing other players post-flop. They're obviously not all good at it, but it would be foolish to assume that they're not.

That being said, @Eazzy's pre-flop advice is sage. Limp hands that require deeper stacks for playability (i.e., suited connectors, low to mid pairs), and don't be afraid to bet big with your monsters, keeping the SPR low. If when you hit or are likely good, then you can simply jam. If @Eazzy is right that they will call anything, then you'll be in great shape. And, if they really are skilled post-flop players, then you'll eliminate their edge this way.
  • eugeniusjreugeniusjr Red Chipper Posts: 390 ✭✭✭

Show a crazy bluff a few times to keep them intrigued.
  • ragin_cajunragin_cajun Red Chipper Posts: 38 ✭✭
    I know you probably want to discuss tactics since you're discussing it here .... but, if it's a good private game, close to your house, you can play with people you like sitting around with for hours on end, then it's a rare and precious gift.

You might want to focus less on skinning the game, and more on being a player that others at the game want to have around. Private games are a social event, some go on for years and years. Maybe you can learn about poker from 1 or 2 of the players? Or, maybe they'd like to learn about poker from you? More likely, they don't care if they win or lose, they play poker for fun--it's a good place to watch football away from their house.

Is it a group of good friends from high school/college? How long has the game been running? Will it be running 2 years from now? Where is the game held? (back of a bar, someone's house, hunting camp in the sticks, various places depending)

I'd think more about all the "life" things around the game than I would about specific poker tactics to beat the game.

There's more to life (and poker) than money.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file