Improving your mental game.

Adrian RactliffeAdrian Ractliffe Red Chipper Posts: 19 ✭✭
Hey all,
Just after some recommendations on how to improve my mental game, and if there are any books/videos out there that are a must watch.
I’m new to MTTs and I believe I’ve been playing really well but when it starts hitting the 15th+ level I’m making really bad mistakes and chasing on flops for stacks because I’ve had enough and have lost interest.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Tagged:

Comments

• kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Adrian -

On the lower right hand side of the main forum page - you'll find groups of interesting discussions that have been tagged with a themed topic....
    One of them happens to be "Mental Game." Click on that, and you'll find multiple discussions that have already occurred on this topic.

Books: Tommy Angelo's "Elements of Poker" & Jared Tendler's "Mental Game of Poker"
    Videos: Miller's "Emotional Numbing" (from the Course series) and most of @DrTricia 's stuff... (I especially liked the "Stoic" one)

Something that many good players are doing now is using MP3 on breaks to decompress and refocus. @Elliot Roe has some very good MP3 on his website that you should consider using.

Your breakdowns at level 15+ are probably a combination of mental (motivation/focus) and stamina (physical strength/alertness). Since the last levels of a tourney are where you stand to make the most money - you should be at your best in these levels. If you think of yourself as an athlete in the 4th quarter, you must be as sharp if not even more so than you were at the start of the game. This is something that doesn't come natural... but those who work on it see the greatest returns.

GL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file