What are the study tools I need to become a winning player?

JetlagJetlag Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
Hello, I see all sorts of information out there on poker, and ways to improve. I've been in the game about 6 months now, and have been, as referred to on an episode of red chip poker podcast, a passive learner. I've just been casually watching videos, and while I could definitely play poker with my family and win, I am a losing player everywhere else.

Some personal background. I am taking a year off college starting this winter, and my significant other is going to be away in Europe for a few months. I need something to keep me occupied, so I've decided to devote my time to becoming a very good poker player. WHERE DO I START?

I've read a couple books, and watched a TON of youtube videos, but I don't see enough improvement in my play. I've heard it suggested that I should take notes on videos, so as to learn actively, but I'm wondering if maybe I need something more tailored specifically to ME. Should I buy a membership to a site (anyone have reviews on this site's pro membership or the upswing poker lab?), should I hire a coach (I'm dead broke and if I was paying a coach there is no way I could play anything but low stakes online), should I buy more workbooks/strategy books, or should I not pay for anything and just try to make do with free youtube videos.

I guess my main question would be, is it worth it to pay for poker material? What study tools will show rapid improvement in my game?

Thanks,
David (aka Jetlag)
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭
    The 1/2 Crash Course here on Redchip is a good start. You can learn a lot over a few months, but don't expect to be a very good player after that time.
  • SullySully Red Chipper Posts: 780 ✭✭✭
    Hard to start any business, any venture or hobby dead broke.

I would get a job. I'm surprised you're significant other hasn't suggested this.

After work, play and write down problem hands to dissect and discuss

At some point you will need to interact with other poker players thru forums or a coach or other players you know

saving for a coach is probably the best use of your money. Until then forums are good to get some advice , find out where you are in your development and look for a coach that best fits you

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe find a training site.
  • zampana1970zampana1970 Red Chipper Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    Pick a game and structure and platform and focus very specifically on a play style to perfect. Then start branching out. Poker is a massive ecosystem with much variation and shading. Be specific early and get good at one thing at a time. Work on your opening ranges and understand why tight is right when you're starting. Learn about position. Etc. Get the math basics down until they are second nature. Groove every lesson until you know it well then move on and add a layer... And know that you never stop learning - there's always something to read/watch/analyze/discuss/think about. And work on your mental game, to deal with variance and mistakes and all the head stuff that is hardest to tackle. Thats a start.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,057 -
    • Get at least a part-time job.
    • Create a reinvestment strategy with parts of that income (and the rest goes toward your bankroll and/or life costs)
    • Reinvest in a couple months of PRO here (after that time you'll have a good feel for where you need to go next imo)
    • Investing in 1-2 hours of 1-on-1 coaching is right when you get juuuuust past the 'I don't know what I don't know' phase and creep into 'I know what I don't know - but I don't know how to fix it' phase

IMO.
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • dnoyeBdnoyeB DetroitRed Chipper Posts: 284 ✭✭
    I don't have a set of friends to play with. My practice grounds were initially a game on my phone. Then later I played Zynga on Facebook. Then later WSOP on facebook. Then just WSOP app. I put tons of hours in there. Sure its not real money and people play like maniacs. But then you should be able to beat them. If you can't win there I wouldn't sit down at a live game. So at least its a good place to practice what you learn.
  • Greg_VailGreg_Vail RCP Coach Posts: 53 ✭✭
    1. Get a part time job to finance bankroll and learning tools.
    2. Hire a coach for a couple hours to point you in the right direction of bankroll management and general goals.
    3. Reinvest poker winnings in bankroll.

The value of a source of income is insane when you are trying to accumulate a bankroll. Don't pass it up for ego reasons. No one cares where the buy ins come from when you sit down at the table.
  • JetlagJetlag Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    First of all, thank you to everyone who answered!

I am working part time as a poker dealer, in a local cardroom. I'm inexperienced but I'm learning fast. I know Texas Holdem basics, and I'm fairly up to date on basic strategy.

I love the podcast, so I think that this site will be an excellent starting place for me. I am also impressed with the amount of responses I got, and the fact that Splitsuit replied! Awesome to see the coaches so involved.

I am learning by observing, and I am only dealing currently, not playing. My goal is to save up enough money to start playing $.5/$1 with friends again, this time properly rolled. In the meantime, I will be learning on this site and possibly Upswing Lab (again if anyone has used Doug and Ryan's lab, please drop a review here!!)

Thanks everyone, and if anyone has other opinions/feedback, I'd be extremely thankful!

David
  • Laurence CLaurence C Red Chipper Posts: 28 ✭✭
    You got the best seat of the house, you can observe all the action on the table for free. You should use this opportunity to practice hand reading, and this is a practice which will help you a lot.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,057 -
    Jetlag wrote: »
    I love the podcast, so I think that this site will be an excellent starting place for me. I am also impressed with the amount of responses I got, and the fact that Splitsuit replied! Awesome to see the coaches so involved.

It's what we're here for =)

Enjoy the journey David!
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • TravisTravis Red Chipper Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    Instapoker... fun and once you have 10 or so hand packs you constantly keep learning more even after playing the hand a ton.
  • pocket22duecespocket22dueces Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
    I would suggest that you search for good training sites or apps.

I'm actually searching for one the past few days and I don't mind even paying money in order to improve my gmae level.

Will update whether I found something helpful :)
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,407 -
    I would suggest that you search for good training sites or apps.

I'm actually searching for one the past few days and I don't mind even paying money in order to improve my gmae level.

Will update whether I found something helpful :)

Uhm. Hmmmm.

:waves:
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file