Big O/PLO8/Omaha HL hands to discuss in the podcast

Greg_VailGreg_Vail RCP Coach Posts: 51 ✭✭
Hi everyone! I am going to be recording some Big O and PLO8 podcasts for all of the members here in the coming days and I would like your help with some of the content.

I'm looking for hands that you have all played that you would like me to break down and discuss on the podcast. They can be Big O, PLO8, Omaha H/L, or any other split pot game that you want advice on. Please share as much information about the hand as possible so I can accurately break it down for you. Stack sizes, positions, all actions, reads on players, etc. There can't be too much detail.

Post away! Looking forward to seeing your hands

Comments

• AustinBluffsAustinBluffs Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Omaha H/L cash game at Ameristar in Black Hawk, CO where the structure is 2/5-100 spread limit due to CO gaming bet size limits. I am in HJ with AA22 with a single suit. My image is tight and short-stacking with $200 (40 BB). I have shown down the nuts in a couple of previous hands. Villain is on the button with a stack that covers the entire table ($5,000, or 1,000 BB). He is a known pro to the players at the table, he seems to be a defacto host of the game, and is wearing an RCP logo shirt. Before the game, I introduced myself to the villain so he knows I am there as a rec player. I have observed him playing the button aggressively and suspect he has targeted my BB several times from UTG +1 with pre-flop raises, knowing I am playing a tight range and with other tight players in the game. With AA22 in HJ, I raise 3x to $15. Villain calls and we go heads up to the flop of K98 rainbow. I c-bet $20 and villain raises to $70. With about $165 behind, I decide I either need to fold or raise the max $100 (effectively close to all in). In deciding my play, I discount the value of my backdoor low draw as I need runner runner 3,4,5,6, or 7 and won’t have counterfeit protection. I then only consider the merits of my high hand and pushing with only an overpair and an underpair, essentially hoping to trip up or possibly pair the board for two pair, or hit a backdoor flush. I have seen him play two pair aggressively in other hands. I believe he knows AA is squarely in my tight range. Ultimately I folded, figuring I would only be bluff-catching. In hindsight, I believe I should have pushed due to the perceived likelihood that he was trying to push me off the hand, as well as about 1.5 SPR and two cards to come. I think you have already done the podcasts for which you were soliciting hands, but I would be interested in your thoughts on this hand, especially since you were the villain...
  • Greg_VailGreg_Vail RCP Coach Posts: 51 ✭✭
    What's up dude!!! ok so here we go.....

First and foremost, I had AKT9 ds.

You opened to $15 from early position and this was the first time I had seen you open from early position since the start of the game. This tells me that you are leaning heavily towards a premium oriented low hand and since I had seen a couple of limp/calls from early position previously, it is highly likley that this hand contains an AA. If this is the case, I will favor high oriented hands to play against your range.

Three other players called, two from behind me and the big blind and we took a five way flop with $75 in the pot.

The flop was K98 rb flopping me top two pair. You bet $20 into the field. This bet cannot be made with a low oriented hand like A23x since the top of that range is A23K, which I have in bad shape. The AA2x range would likely make this bet as a blocking/defensive bet into several people hoping to see another card for cheap. If this is the case, I also am in decent shape against this range of hands since the AAxx premium range of hands is unlikley to contain two high cards and connect with this flop. In this game, players usually called bets of this size lightly, but rarely called raises lightly. My hand plays well against the likley range of the opening raiser, but not well against the three players behind me who, if calling, could have anything and I would not know what to expect or do on future streets. I also suspect that there is a decent chance I can win the pot right here with a raise against both ranges of hands (which is not a terrible outcome).

After the bet, you were playing around 160-170 in your stack. I chose to raise to $70 here for a couple of reasons. 1: to turn my hand into a push and attempt to get the players behind me to fold. If any of them raised me after raising you, they would have nothing but a set and I would have just folded (players in this game simply do not put in multiple raises without KK or 99 on this board). 2. If you chose to call, you would be left with almost exactly a $100 stack, which was my planned bet on all non 8/A turn cards. If the turn card was a low card, you would likely be tempted to call off on the turn with AA and a likely low draw, which I would have a little less than 60% equity against. I would suspect that you wouldn't want to fold getting around 2-1 on the turn to call off. If the Turn was a high card, I would likely be able to make the same bet with a equity position north of 80% and would simply hope for a call. If you called and the turn was a King or a Nine, I would most likely check back the turn and allow you to bluff catch the river and hope I don't get one outed.

If you were more active preflop and playing more hands, I could have included monster holdings like KKJT, KJT9, some sets, or even a hands like A2K9, A3K8, or something terrible for my hand like Ax88/99 and this could have been a weird spot for me. Since you weren't playing very many hands at all, a very tight opening range is simply not going to connect with a K98 flop enough to make the $20 bet into 4 people and a $75 pot a bet made for value.

This type of bet is a bet I would make with a hand like KKJT, JT98, KJT9, KQJT or Ax99/88/KK. This type of bet invites a raise from two pair/sets and if that is going to be the case, we are going to want to have a hand that would welcome that raise rather than fold to it.

Hope this helps! It was nice to see another Red Chipper at the Ameristar!!!

Greg
  • AustinBluffsAustinBluffs Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Nice recap! Thanks for the insights. High and low orientation is a concept i don’t think I’ve considered before and I typically assumed preflop raises in Omaha HL meant AAxx or A2xx. I think being out of position against you kept me tighter than I would usually play. I’ll have to seat select better next time. Thanks
  • Greg_VailGreg_Vail RCP Coach Posts: 51 ✭✭
    Anytime! Usually the frequency of raises preflop will tell someone else the general makeup of their ranges. If they are only opening once every couple of hours, then it is usually safe to assume that they are waiting for low oriented premium hands like AA2x or A23x. If that is identified (and can be verified by their actions on certain board textures), then a wide variety of hands can be played against them with consistant profitabilty.

Consider a holdem player that ONLY raises preflop with JJ-AA. Once that becomes known, you can safely play almost any two cards against them post flop because you know EXACTLY where they stand at all times. H/L is no different, but in split pot games, we are afforded more information since we have more cards in play. The more cards in play, the more information we can mine from our opponents, thus, giving us a bigger advantage.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file