Poker After Dark hand discussion

deuce74daysdeuce74days Red Chipper Posts: 40 ✭✭
edited November 2017 in Live Poker Hands
Just watched a really cool hand on Poker After Dark and wanted to see what Red Chippers think of it. Blinds were 300/600 with a 1000 ante in the BB.

In this hand, Ben Lamb straddles for 1200 UTG and Garrett Adelstein opens AcTh in the cutoff to 3000. Lamb calls with Qc7h (effective stack 215K).

Flop comes 10s9c8c and it checks through.

Turn 10c

Lamb bets 5,800 and Adelstein calls.

River Jd

Lamb bets 10,700.

Question: Can/should Garrett ever be turning his hand into a bluff here?

He has the blocker to the nut flush and JT, T9 and T8. Perfect hand to bluff with, but is it too good? It's also the best trips you can call with I guess.

Comments

  • deuce74daysdeuce74days Red Chipper Posts: 40 ✭✭
    On second thought, the line makes very little sense. Is he really going to check back 99, 88, JJ, T9, T8, JT on this flop?

    Maybe JT, but when you're repping 6 total combos it gets a bit thin.

    Probably a much better call than raise in that case.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Effective stacks are around 206k on the river before the 10k bet.

    River (19,500) Ts9c8cTcJd
    Lamb ($206,000) bets 10,700
    Garrett ($206,000)

    Psb would be 51,600

    Should garret raise holding AcTh?
    He blocks nut flush, but most combos are blocked already with the 8c9cTc being on the board as well as lamb holding the Qc. That leaves AcJc and KcJc as possible flushes. But garret doesn't know lamb has Qc. Still very few combos.

    When Garrett checks back the flop he can have some A9, 87, JT, QT, KT, 22-77, AJ-AK, KQ etc. Ranges get kinda wide on the turn as KcQx might peel despite board being paired.

    Lambs range is kinda uncapped. Best garret can rep here on the river is KQ or J10.

    Definitely can see the raise potential as a bluff as he does block quite a few full houses. But he also doesn't rep very many full houses either.

    I think he best serves as a fold actually because i can't put lamb on a hand that barrels half pot thats worse. kT and QT would be incredibly thin. I don't really see any bluffs in either players range besides 7x for thin value.

    I guess Lam could be turning Jx into a bluff some portion of the time.

    Interesting hand. Great post.
  • dnoyeBdnoyeB DetroitRed Chipper Posts: 284 ✭✭
    He can certainly paint a picture of hitting a club draw. Lamb could have anything since the preflop raise was a bit light.

    But he did call two ~1/2 pot sized bets which would not be consistent with drawing odds and expected payout on a board starting with 2 clubs on the flop.
  • deuce74daysdeuce74days Red Chipper Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Austin wrote: »
    Effective stacks are around 206k on the river before the 10k bet.

    River (19,500) Ts9c8cTcJd
    Lamb ($206,000) bets 10,700
    Garrett ($206,000)

    Psb would be 51,600

    Should garret raise holding AcTh?
    He blocks nut flush, but most combos are blocked already with the 8c9cTc being on the board as well as lamb holding the Qc. That leaves AcJc and KcJc as possible flushes. But garret doesn't know lamb has Qc. Still very few combos.

    Given Garrett raised in the CO, I think he can have all Acxc here?
    Austin wrote: »

    When Garrett checks back the flop he can have some A9, 87, JT, QT, KT, 22-77, AJ-AK, KQ etc. Ranges get kinda wide on the turn as KcQx might peel despite board being paired.

    I tend to think Garrett should be betting his hand on the flop here. He can bet for protection and continue against a x/r given he holds the Ac blocker.
    Austin wrote: »
    I think he best serves as a fold actually because i can't put lamb on a hand that barrels half pot thats worse. kT and QT would be incredibly thin. I don't really see any bluffs in either players range besides 7x for thin value.

    If Garrett is folding AcTx, then surely Lamb should be check/calling the river? What worse hands can he get action from? 7x?

    You could argue that AcTx is actually a better hand to call with than 7x considering the blockers.

    I think Garrett has to call or raise here. If this hand isn't a call, then the blockers are too good not to bluff with.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to think Garrett should be betting his hand on the flop here. He can bet for protection and continue against a x/r given he holds the Ac blocker.

    Betting for protection is kind of old school. Then you say he can continue vs a x/r. Can you elaborate on the ranges in which you think Lamb will check raise and how does Garrett's equity do against that range?

    I think the worse hands we can bet here are pair + draw or 2 pair + on this flop. 1 pair hands cannot withstand pressure from a x/r. Yes, Lamb could check raise here with something like KcQc, but do you really think he folds the turn when a flush hits? He will lose to some Axs combos, but I doubt he folds. Will likely chalk it up to a cooler.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Betting for protection on this board is a distant second place concept considering all the continuation that he will face.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file