BB defense AJ vs aggro player

AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
25NL
villain is running 25/19 with 3 bet of 16 over 103 hands

Last session I was running around 23/21 w/ 3bet of 15 and session did not go so well. Did some studying and decided to tone down my 3 bets at the micro stakes until I have more stats on players.

Preflop Action:
EP folds
MP folds
CO Villain (31.60) opens .75
BTN folds
SB folds
Hero ($43.25) :Ah:Jc calls .50

Post flop:
Flop ($1.60) :2d:Js:Td
Hero ($42.75) checks
Villain ($30.85) bets $1.02
Hero raises to $4
Villain calls

Turn ($9.60) :2d:Js:Td:3h
Hero ($38.75) bets $5.75
Villain calls $5.75

River ($21.10) :2d:Js:Td:3h:Kc
Hero ($33) checks
Villain ?

Not the worse card in the deck as I think :Kd would be the worst. On the flop I decided raising was best for value vs CO's overall range. If he decided to 3 bet a hand like KQ or 8d6d I would likely fold to a flop 3 bet as those hands still have decent equity against me, but his other hands like JT, 22, TT, QQ, KK, etc have me crushed and I would be flipping against hands like AdQd.

My range on this flop is basically 22, TT, J10 (all combos since im in the bb and closing the action), Qs9s, Qd9d, KQ, AJ, 8s9s, 8s9d, (I wouldn't raise a naked straight draw unless its with overs or at least a bdfd.

I think my river check can be exploited as he can shove exactly PSB left. Which makes me think given the range above I can likely check my entire range on this river including sets and Q9s and pick off a bluff from 89s, Adxd, or someone going for thin value with KQ. I think AQ is unlikely unless its exactly AdQd as they will likely fold to flop raise or turn barrel.

My questions for this hand are:
1) What do you think of my flop raise?
2) What is the best action for the river given my overall range, not just my hand?
3) Facing a river bet, would it be a check / fold?
4) What hands are you defending in the BB with preflop vs CO range? I started flatting around 25%. Broadways, PP, SCs, and depending if it was a min raise way wider.

Thank you all in advance for your feed back and Happy Thanksgiving

Comments

• NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the turn is where the focus needs to be here. Since we're repping a set/full house/two pair here, I'm at least potting the turn if not overbetting it. He has a lot of draws in his range here and our hand is still pretty vulnerable and there are a lot of rough river cards that we don't wanna see vs an aggressive player oop.
  • zampana1970zampana1970 Red Chipper Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I think I like your hand histories the best. You always pick interesting spots. Just wanted to say that.
  • RoblivionRoblivion WisconsinRed Chipper Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    I agree that the turn bet should be larger since V will be so draw heavy. Also, if you had potted the turn, this river spot wouldn't be nearly so sick.

As played, it's tough, but I think you can check-fold here. Maybe put some sets and JT hands in your check-call range here so as to not give up an easy bucket for his shove.
  • David ADavid A Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    I don't post much and I am in the stages of infancy when it comes to poker analysis
    but I was thinking about your comment that the Kd is the worst card that could have
    come.

I think it would be better for you than another K and here is why I say that. If the Kd comes, it would remove the possibility of any AdKd, KdQk, or KdJd, all hands he could continue with against your c/r. With the Kc on the river, V could still be holding all of those hands and now beats you. The other hands he could continue with, other than QQ maybe, are AJ, 8d9d, maybe 8d7d, and AdQd. The AQ gets there with any king.

You should have heard from sets and J10 before the river and there are not many
    hands that would improve if the Kd came. That leaves you with a c/c as a bluff catcher, I'd think. Against some calling stations, you might be able to bet-fold since they couldn't really raise you with anything that isn't nuttish but I'm not sure there is much
    value to be attained from this particular opponent; QJ, J9?
  • Fernando TFernando T Red Chipper Posts: 90 ✭✭
    I think the river hit the villain range. there are a lot of two pairs, streitgh...
    I agree with the bigger turn bet
  • SliverOverlordSliverOverlord Red Chipper Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    I don’t like your XR on the flop, but that’s because against a CO opener, I won’t have TT or JJ in my flat range a majority of the time, so the credibly XRs are 22 and JT. If you are flatting JJ and TT, then I like this play better because you will have a LOT of great bluff candidates here if you are XRing.

When you get to the turn, I would like to see a larger bet, and I could see going as big as 1.5x for value, since you will have a lot of bluffs to balance with.

I like Check deciding this river, and basing the decision on how wide villain gets to this river, and what types of sizing you expect him to do with either end of his polarized betting range.
    I could also see some merit in betting 1/4 as a block bet against some not so thinking players who won’t be tempted into turning Tx into a bluff.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The turn bet sizing seems to be the popular topic here with the river being a check fold. However, if we go for larger sizing on the turn are we doing that with our entire check raise range on the flop?

Turn ($9.60) 2JT3dd
    Effective stacks $26
    Lets say i bet $8
    Villain calls

River $25 Kc
    Effective stacks are $18
    Whats your play?

Overbetting the turn
    Turn (9.60) jt23dd
    Hero bets $15
    Villain$26

If i over bet the turn i feel i have to jam all rivers with effective stacks $11 and pot of $40
  • RoblivionRoblivion WisconsinRed Chipper Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    Austin wrote: »
    The turn bet sizing seems to be the popular topic here with the river being a check fold. However, if we go for larger sizing on the turn are we doing that with our entire check raise range on the flop?

Turn ($9.60) 2JT3dd
    Effective stacks $26
    Lets say i bet $8
    Villain calls

River $25 Kc
    Effective stacks are $18
    Whats your play?

Yeah, based on how you described your flop check-raise range, I like a big bet on the turn with pretty much all of it. Then on a lot of rivers we will either be able to barrel off, make a hand, or give up.

On this specific river, with this specific hand I would check and either call or fold to a bet, depending on the villain's tendencies.
  • Matthew RMatthew R Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    This is a very messy situation. That is caused by check raising with 1 pair. I much prefer a check raise their either a better hand, a strong draw or a week draw (back door and overs or backdoor and gutter). As it is now, the pot is bloated, your out of posistion and are bluff catching if it goes check/shove.

I think the line here is check, call the flop. On the turn - the pot is only 3.50 instead of 9.00. I know playing out of flow is unpopular, but I think I donk 70% of the time for about 60% of pot, it forces draws to take a bad price or fold.

If you get raised here on turn it’s a pretty strong move. But the good news is you can fold or call depending on sizing. I’d probably plan to call down, unless the sizing is big enough that a river shove is likely. I don’t like calling it off on this board texture.

More likely on the turn they will fold or call. If they call the pot is only about 8 bucks, so you can check knowing you can easily call down.
    Matthew R wrote: »
    This is a very messy situation. That is caused by check raising with 1 pair. I much prefer a check raise their either a better hand, a strong draw or a week draw (back door and overs or backdoor and gutter). As it is now, the pot is bloated, your out of posistion and are bluff catching if it goes check/shove.

If you check raise a weak draw, does that not bloat the pot also? How are you continuing on the turn and river with your draws? Seems like you put yourself in a similar situation without any showdown value when you miss.

obviously a better hand is always nice to have, but we can't control the cards we get. If we flat the flop, we are also bluff catching vs a double or triple barrel. Player dynamic is aggressive so I would rather take the initiative and get value. We don't know what cards are going to come on the turn or river. We just know my hand does very well against a CO range on this board.
    Matthew R wrote: »
    I think the line here is check, call the flop. On the turn - the pot is only 3.50 instead of 9.00. I know playing out of flow is unpopular, but I think I donk 70% of the time for about 60% of pot, it forces draws to take a bad price or fold.

there is a reason it is unpopular. What hand are you repping on the turn by check calling flop and donk betting the turn? You took out all two pairs and sets out of your range when you just called the flop. You are beginning to play very face up!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file