good flop vs loose villains - barrel or check raise?

theClubbertheClubber Red Chipper Posts: 167 ✭✭
edited May 2015 in Live Poker Hands
1/2 Nl at luxor 6 handed. Three very tight opponents and two battling in most pots, usually sticking around for at least one bet after the flopm Effective stacks 250

V1 limps. I raise 12 :Ad:Qd v2 calls behind blinds fold limper calls.

Flop :6d:4h:2d

It's a great flop for my hand if not for my range. I'm pretty sure at least one will call a c-bet, most turn cards will be overs and make it harder for them to keep callIng barrels although they are stickier than most

I could also see this as a good spot check raise so they don't think I'm giving up any time i check the flop and i have a nut draw, can get better hands to fold and worse draws to call.

Both seem decent options, I'm curious which line you guys prefer.

Comments

• Rello242Rello242 Red Chipper Posts: 595 ✭✭
    Standard cbet for me, while it keeps more hands in it i don't want to risk giving a free card up for the board to pair or just to miss value against a hand like :4? :3? that may call a bet but not cbet. Also im more incline to think that people are less likely to stab at the pot with weaker holdings if you have a multiway pot. Also the rare times where you might face a shove from hands like :7? :7? if you check-raise versus, betting and calling a raise makes a huge difference, but thats just being nit picky.
    -Rello

"Its better to give than to receive, so bet more and call less"
    Check out my HUSNG Graph: Chips-Results
    Follow All the Action On My Blog: www.rello242.blogspot.com
  • ColepietschColepietsch Red Chipper Posts: 33
    I definitely like c-betting with strong draws especially versus two villians. If I won the pot right away I'm + and if they call or raise I'd be able to act accordingly when a turn card comes. Since u have big cards if one comes they'll probably figure for that and fold (pending on what your perceived image is and the level of thinking of your opponents) so get in a value bet. And if raised gamble gamble!!
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Revised opinion: cbet is better than x/r because you won't be x/r'ing this board with an overpair much, nor can you rep better than an overpair much on this board. Fire now and barrel off, keeping worse draws in rather than forcing them out with the overplay; you should be able to get middle pairs to fold by the river.
  • theClubbertheClubber Red Chipper Posts: 167 ✭✭
    I realize balance isn't a big concern at these stakes, but i feel like my range when i check in spots like thos is overly weak. Of I'm not checking AQs in this spot what decent hands can i add to my range so I don't have to always check/fold?
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have flopped no equity but two overs I would not start with your holding per se, but be thinking about the combination of what your opponents like to call with, how many are there, your image/credibility, how sticky they are, and what cards that can come that are good for your opening range that you will represent. You also need to be aware that a flop like this will often require multiple barrels.
  • Ed MillerEd Miller RCP Coach Posts: 330
    I just c-bet this board and probably barrel the turn as well. If you check, it will get checked around a lot which is not what you want, and I'm not sure you benefit a ton from getting a check-raise in.
  • starling81starling81 Red Chipper Posts: 88
    Are the 2 villains involved in a hand ones that you described as "battling" ones? Specifically V2? Cause on the board of that texture V2 might just decide to battle cause of his range advantage on that board and raise your C-bet with good frequency. This is not a good board for over-pairs to do battle OOP. I know i check-folded strong overpairs on this type of board texture when playing OOP in multi-way pot where villains were "aspiring baby pros" who feel the needs to battle on every board that allows them to :) I think depending on player types i would be making a decision to c-bet or C/C.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file