What's the best line here on the river?

Yanming ZYanming Z Red Chipper Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
1/2 game, $600 effective

V is OMC, has history with hero, both V and H knows that H is on the aggressive side, V can also be aggro but less so than the H.V doesn't like to play big pots with mediocre hands. A weakness of V is that he is not very position aware, have seen him open stuff like JTs from UTG before. $600 effective in this hand.

There was a straddle on the button, V opens UTG to $27, H calls in MP with :6s:6d , everybody else folds, heads up to the flop. Pot $60

Flop: :Js:5d:4c , V C bets 35, H calls pot: $130

Turn: :7c , V bets $60, H calls, pot: $250

River: :2h , V checks, H?

From the history between V and H, if H bets pot or over bets to like $300, V will almost 100% fold top pair and over pairs. A normal bet like 150-200 V probably could hero it with 1 pair hands. But from the line V took, H had a feeling that a pair of 66 might be good here.

What would you do here?

Comments

• RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 comments on the fly
    Yanming Z wrote: »
    V is OMC, has history with hero, both V and H knows that H is on the aggressive side, V can also be aggro but less so than the H.V doesn't like to play big pots with mediocre hands. A weakness of V is that he is not very position aware, have seen him open stuff like JTs from UTG before. $600 effective in this hand.

JTs is not bizarre a priori to open from UTG. Yes, it's strange if Villain is really an old man coffee (expecting to open 99+/AQ+ from UTG?), but otherwise I think it's pretty standard.

Seeing JTs UTG from Villain could not mean he is not position aware - I think it's a bit of an over-interpretation only based on this info. Maybe he is just looser than a "true" OMC? Or maybe you've other intel you didn't present here, like always donkbetting with TP ?
    There was a straddle on the button, V opens UTG to $27

I think even with a straddle, it's a rather large opening. Is it a standard opening size after a straddle?
    If it's bigger than usual, how does this impact his opening range?
    Flop: :Js:5d:4c , V C bets 35, H calls pot: $130

Turn: :7c , V bets $60, H calls, pot: $250

River: :2h , V checks, H?
    Villain c-bet AND turn c-bet. A lot of players will only flop c-bet and check turn with bluffs - here it could be AQ/AK or 99-TT. Do you think Villain could dub with these combos?
    Take in consideration your turn play when thinking about your answer to this question.
  • Yanming ZYanming Z Red Chipper Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    I claimed the V wasn’t position aware because we are both regulars and we played with each other a lot, I gave the JTs as an example maybe it was a bad one. I mentioned it because I wouldn’t be surprised if the V showed up with 56s here.

I was just wondering would it be best on the river to over bet bluff or check behind. Yes the V double barreled, but the turn bet was an under bet, it seemed like a blocker bet or setting his own price for a draw. Especially when he just checked the river after I just flated his underbet. The OMC aspect of the V was incapable of firing a big river bluff. So I felt it was close between checking and bluffing.
  • Raynard DRaynard D Red Chipper Posts: 7 ✭✭
    250 in the pot 475 effective behind!

Your hand more than likely is a bluffer catcher and beat. Most OMC I play with will bet bet and check/call most river even to big bets/bluffs by agro hero's/villains. While you will get anything that you bet to fold to a big bet...AJ+ will not fold to most bets. So you're risking $125 to $200 to ask the questions can I get you to fold better in a 1.2 game. Correct? 1/2 games are not overly populated with 3rd and 4th level thinkers.

You are bet by nearly everything he reps in his PF range that he would cbet and barrel with if he is aware he is doing that...and you are killed by just about anything he would check call the river with.

with all due respect 66 may have been overplayed in this situation

How about the fold option? How about checking behind and see if third pair somehow held up vs potentially dropping another 125 to 275 to get him off AJ plus.

Then again I am not there with your live read and if you have a reliable tell either he folds too much or he never cbets, barrells, checks and calls a big bet over a reliable sample size.

Good luck thanks for posting and reading my thoughts. hope to see the results and what line you took
  • Easy GEasy G Red Chipper Posts: 14 ✭✭
    honestly my first instinct is to check behind here with just a bluffcatcher. but if you really trust your read that he would fold "100% of top pairs and overpairs" to an overbet, then go for it! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file