$1/$3 Live: Check-Raise AQ on Q96?

SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,082 -
Hey y'all,

Been awhile since I've done this kind of post. But I'm going to post the raw HH from a hand I recently reviewed on YouTube, and leave this thread open for discussion. The video where I actually review the hand will be post #2 in case you wanted to jump right into it =)

$1/$3 Live

HERO $400 is in EP3 with

:Ah:Qc

EP3 ($120) limps
HERO isolates to $10
BUT (Aggro Fish-$338) calls $10
BB (Passive Fish-$460) calls $7
EP3 folds

Flop ($34 - 3 players): :Qh:9c:6d

BB checks
HERO checks
BUT bets $17
BB calls $17
HERO check-raises to $75
BUT calls
BB calls

Turn ($259 - 3 players): :2c

BB checks
HERO bets $100
BUT calls
BB calls

River ($559 - 3 players): :8s

BB checks
HERO bets $100
BUT jams for $153 total
BB folds
HERO calls

1. Do you like the XR on the flop?
2. Do you like HERO's sizing throughout the hand?
3. Would you ever check the river instead?
📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,082 -
    Here are my thoughts on the hand:

• dnoyeBdnoyeB DetroitRed Chipper Posts: 284 ✭✭
    The "isolation" raise is small for $1$2 let alone $1$3. Where I play this would end up a family pot...

Check raising the flop with TP is ballsy. Still waiting on mine to grow. When I check here after a preflop raise the button always takes a big shot. At least 3/4 pot. So I'm conditioned to bet because otherwise I'll have to defend the Q with my whole stack. So I'll typically bet out 1/2 pot. But maybe I should just have a bigger stack.

$100 on the turn is undersized. It all feels like hero intends to get it all in from the moment hero hit TPTK. $100 is begging for a call. I don't have an issue wanting a call but make it a tough choice at least. Make them burn some brain cells.

$100 duplicate river bet is saying I missed but I'm trying to act like I didn't. BUT shoves trying to fold hero for $50 more!? BUT seemed to have the idea of pushing Hero out of the pot with a big river bet but failed to notice how the previous check raise took the wind out of those sails.
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I haven't had the time to reflect deeply on this hand or watch the video but two things stick out to me (preflop and turn). If we have a passive player in the blinds and another player who will give us a lot of action on the button, I'd be raising a lot more preflop as they are continuing often without regard to sizing.

X/r isn't bad on the flop when there are straight draws out there and not a lot of two pair combos and we expect button to bet a huge chunk of the time when checked to. It allows us to build a pot with the best hand and to set up a turn shove on favorable cards.

I really don't like the turn as played. We priced Villain in on his draws and put ourselves into a position on the river where we can't fold. When the turn brings a flush draw and is a safe card, I like following our x/r with a jam. At least one of these two players will likely come along drawing pretty thin.
  • TravisTravis Red Chipper Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    C/r fine and I do that at times against lags. But sizing on every street way too small. The check raise should be to end the hand or charge draws a massive amount. With the remains stacks since you are never folding on the river jam turn
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Yes
    2. No
    3. With the existing turn sizing, yes.
  • Christian SotoChristian Soto RCP Coach Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭
    I actually don't love this CR, and I'm usually all for this type of line.

Only BU is left to act, which is significantly different than if we were EP and OOP versus 3 opponents.

Secondly, we don't represent many natural bluffs here, which is important when we are check raising a more merged range like this. If this board was Q96hh then yes I like this CR more because we can represent many more natural bluffs.

One more thing is that given we don't represent many natural bluffs here, I think unblocking the Queen would be nice. So obv AA/KK would be a better choice to CR in my opinion.

The sizings as played are poor, but I think everyone agrees with that.

The river discussion should be a non factor because the Turn should be allin.
    As played, I think we are just allin on river. We put ourselves in a reverse implied odds situation with the Turn sizing, and now have to lay in the bed we made. We can't C/F so might as well go for it, and get value from hands that are checking back (KQ/QJ/A9).
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was ambivalent on the x/r, as a bet is natural into one opponent and possible for two, until I saw the video, where we are indeed reminded that the button is aggro (meaning the opportunity to respond will increase) and that the the blind is passive (meaning an efficient bet will rarely get raised and thus loses some of its value- but that a merged x/r will get called).

That said, hero never gets to call anyone a fish again after betting 40% pot on turn and then betting caller's range card on river.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,082 -
    Secondly, we don't represent many natural bluffs here, which is important when we are check raising a more merged range like this. If this board was Q96hh then yes I like this CR more because we can represent many more natural bluffs.

One more thing is that given we don't represent many natural bluffs here, I think unblocking the Queen would be nice. So obv AA/KK would be a better choice to CR in my opinion.

Agreed generally, but given the player types I'm not really concerned with my perceived bluffing range. And 100% agree that we should prefer to unblock the Q...
  • eugeniusjreugeniusjr Red Chipper Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    What was the reason to bet 100, or anything less than all in, on the turn?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file