Sweeney: The Poker's 1% Video Series

tfaziotfazio Red Chipper Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
For all you non pro members. James has just finished a 10 part series on Ed Millers 1% that will be released over the next few months. Parts 1, 2, and 3 are available. I have seen all 10 parts as part of a mastermind that James ran and can say that it is great content and well worth the price of admission. It is great to see Ed's book getting this attention.

ADMIN EDIT: You can view the first video in the series here.
Tagged:

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,930 -
    Thanks for the kind words Tom!

Poker's 1% is an important text, so it was an honor to bring the book to life with this video series =)
    My new book lays out the playbook for AK. Grab your copy and start Optimizing Ace King!
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    @SplitSuit

At 15min 38sec in your third video, i think there is an error in the infographics. The second Pyramid should be named checking and not calling as we are branching our ranges into 2 categories a Betting one and a checking back one.
    Good eye @Adam Wheeler.

Yes, the branches are betting and checking-behind with plans to continue if facing a stab on the turn.
    My new book lays out the playbook for AK. Grab your copy and start Optimizing Ace King!
    SplitSuit wrote: »
    Good eye @Adam Wheeler.

Professional deformation i guess.
  • BadFrog1BadFrog1 Red Chipper Posts: 136 ✭✭
    Is this the same as the 1% course on splitsuit.com?
  • tfaziotfazio Red Chipper Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    Yes it is. It is available there in it's entire Ten parts.
  • Shaun AShaun A Red Chipper Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Interesting vids for sure. BRING ON PART 4!
    Shaun A wrote: »
    Interesting vids for sure. BRING ON PART 4!

It's coming in early Jan =)
    It's coming in early Jan =)

I know you probably don't care too much about about one random dude's opinion, but it feels a little disappointing that you're releasing the videos to PRO members so slowly while selling them for a bunch of money off-platform. It's making Red Chip feel more like a cutthroat business than a fun community.
    I can understand your position. That said, I didn't feel right dominating the PRO Membership with my series, just like no other coach's series gets to dominate the PRO schedule either.
    Fair enough, thanks for the response. I still love the content. :)
  • tfaziotfazio Red Chipper Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    At $199 the 10 part series is well worth the price of admission. I've seen the content and its a superb take on an excellent book.
  • Joseph FJoseph F Red Chipper Posts: 701 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Just renewed my Pro and luckily I'm behind on this series and have some catching up to do. Hopefully the rest of the series rolls out at a reasonable pace for subscribers. I think the $50/mo. pricetag here is just right. Fair for both sides. Please don't start getting into tiered memberships (you didn't go with these for a reason!) and individual package sales. You're on the right track and have been for a while. Don't veer.
    Joseph F wrote: »
    Just renewed my Pro and luckily I'm behind on this series and have some catching up to do. Hopefully the rest of the series rolls out at a reasonable pace for subscribers. I think the $50/mo. pricetag here is just right. Fair for both sides. Please don't start getting into tiered memberships (you didn't go with these for a reason!) and individual package sales. You're on the right track and have been for a while. Don't veer.

We actually are going to be adding a new tier in the upcoming months - but it's one that benefits everyone. More information to be released in Jan-Feb =)

We actually are going to be adding a new tier in the upcoming months - but it's one that benefits everyone. More information to be released in Jan-Feb =)

This sounds both ominous yet potentially fantastic. I'll definitely stay tuned.
    edited December 2017
    I have to be honest: A lot of this really does seem to be counterproductive. If he bets, I should continue ~70% of the time? What if I have air? Just do it anyway? I don't know about you guys but I definitely don't have any piece of the board at least 70% of the time. Why would I keep calling his bets if I don't have anything? Further, bet, bet, bet - guys are just sitting on sets and calling three streets either all in or shoving themselves.

I had to end my last session while trying to implement this. I was just simply never hitting the board and I tried to go back to pulling from this video and it was clear that it just wasn't working.

Games are ultra nitty online right now. Nobody continues without hitting the flop good and if that means there's no action at all and the table shuts down, then so be it. That's honestly what I'm seeing on every site in the micros right now. I mean, I'm still a novice and learning the game and I'm definitely not an authority on poker but ...this seems like a strategy that is easily exploitable - not one that easily exploits others.

If he bets I should continue 70% of the time? Still ...I just can't even believe the video says that. Repeatedly. Why? I don't have anything. Why am I calling his bets??

The thing that makes the cash games so difficult for me is the fact that there really is no rhyme or reason to what's going on. I just still don't see players playing with a strategy. Most of the table either calls a ton of hands but only pushes forward with the nuts, or plays hardly any hands but the nuts. Full time banks over 18 cent pots. I mean, long, drawn out hands over even just a few pennies on some sites.

On WPN, there are tons of guys playing 12/9/6 who just sit there all day and night peddling the nuts. Tons. I've seen tables go on for 2+ hours with nobody making any money and the money just repeatedly exchanging hands between everyone. What is going on?

Again, it's part of what makes no sense to me about the cash game (still). What's the incentive for them to play hands? What if nobody really wants to take any risks? Just leave that game and find another? We don't exactly have a slew of sites to choose from.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joseph, information trickles down slowly... and weakly.

Right now many players are intent on conserving their equity and keeping ranges as wide as possible. They accomplish this by putting less money in the pot themselves, because of the nature of what a bet is. It should strike many of these players that they are making a fundamental macro strategy error, but we're not talking about the sharpest knives in the drawer here.

It is very hard to play poker well, and this is the a la mode adaptation. Monkey see, monkey do. It will pass as the valid counterstrategies already in effect elsewhere reach the depths. Personally, I would just feel sorry for someone trying to out nit a microstakes game - talk about a wasted life.

Meanwhile, attempting to preserve rational if overgeneralized portions of your range against these players may not be the best strategy... I don't want to speak too generally any more than I want to talk about TAG tables. I mean, the idea of preserving 70% of your static opening range across streets against a 12/9/6 on every board is obviously absurd and you can take a big breath and let that go - it's not even what Miller was saying.

Poker's 1% is about rational range construction and reasonable frequencies - if you take the 70% figure as dogma you have misread the book.
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭✭

If he bets I should continue 70% of the time? Still ...I just can't even believe the video says that. Repeatedly. Why? I don't have anything. Why am I calling his bets??

NO you don't have to defend at some pre-determined frequency.

Depends on range v range, bet size(pot odds), flop texture even from a GTO perspective. If we then add some exploits and reads things can change even more.
  • zampana1970zampana1970 Red Chipper Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    If you genuinely don't have anything then likely you're in the 30% (or so) of your range than you're going to fold. But if the flop is so bad that you have totally completely and utterly missed with your range, then isn't it also likely that V is in the same boat? Is it possible that A high might be the best hand?
    kenaces wrote: »

NO you don't have to defend at some pre-determined frequency.

You don't - but you have to defend something. Like @zampana1970 said, pure air is likely in that 30% range that you don't end up continuing with - that happens.

The issue is that people try to make their continuance based upon "do I have X hand strength" and when implementing that, end up folding away chunks of equity over their session.

And again, 70% inherently means some hands are being removed on each street (and like @persuadeo said, 70% is a placeholder %, not the end all/be all). Take the big picture, then use videos 4 and 5 to see how the composition fits in with the idea as a whole.
    The issue is that people try to make their continuance based upon "do I have X hand strength" and when implementing that, end up folding away chunks of equity over their session.

I agree with this.

I have seen too many guys waste a bunch of time trying to "solve for 70%". If you want to start teaching people MDF why not just cover that basis math so people can see that defense frequencies can change dramatically with bet size. This seems to me at least one step closer to where people need to get to. Then you can get into RvR on different boards, equity realization on later streets, player tendencies and exploits.......

I really don't mean to criticize you or your videos as I haven't even seem them. For all I know you are using the 70% as only an entry point to a discussion on the topic :)

@kenaces

The point here is that it doesn't matter if it's the 70% model or MDF.

It's beyond that. The basis is that everytime a bet is made, ranges should shrink on both side.

Obviously you don't need to defend always 70% of the time nor you need to respect perfectly MDF when you know your opponent is either way too wide or way too nitty.

The 70% model is a framework and honestly just work some bet sizing lines Flop/Turn/River and you'll see that you're never far from that 70% model when you use the math formula for optimal ratio.

This is most probably why Miller used it as his model.
    edited December 2017
    @Joseph F

What you need to do is know the folding frequencies from your villains and capitalize on that while your constructing your betting ranges properly along with proper sizings.

Focus on folding frequencies vs. Cbet Flop and Turn. Folding vs. Bet on Flop/Turn/River .Floating Flop and Turn from your villains. This should help you a lot in designing and constructing your continuation betting ranges.
    @kenaces
    The point here is that it doesn't matter if it's the 70% model or MDF.

I think we already had this debate

If the 70% or MDF model is used as a way to start a conversation or lesson - fine

BUT will you at least admit that both the 70% and naive MDF models are very often far from from a real GTO solution that they endeavor to teach?
    edited December 2017
    Very interesting discussion and I appreciate everyone's responses to my post. Of course, I was a little tilted when I wrote that but only a little. Not really due to losing money but just how difficult it is to make it. Extracting value from anything but the absolute worst of the worst is getting really, really hard. It really is as I said: Long, drawn out time banks on the flop, turn, and river. I mean, they're dissecting every penny put in the pot. Playing 2NL on WPN and 4NL on BOL, the games are really just disintegrating quite often. Nobody's putting much in, there's really no action, the blinds are working on people, and the table breaks up. I was tempted to ask them in the chatbox "uh - is anyone here to actually like play cards or make some money?" but I know better than to put a bullseye on myself like that in a game like that.

Now, moving up to 10NL and beyond, there is a bit less of this because the blinds are putting more pressure on people but ...then you're talking about a table full of 67/7/5's who play 7/10 hands preflop and only continue if they absolutely smash the flop. That's what Ignition 10NL is like. The swings are immense, and it's very, very easy to begin getting monsters under the bed syndrome.

The way you advocate playing and the aggression you teach on this site are NO QUESTION the ways to win at poker. We also have to learn to adjust and adapt to OUR games (which you stress heavily here) and modern theoretically winning methods just don't seem to apply in a lot of these games due to the extremely unorthodox and nitty style of play by villains.

I think the key here is just being overly patient but as persuadeo wrote: That's a total waste of life. I'm not sitting on there for 12+ hours a day to win 1 BI here and there but that's what a lot of these guys are doing. You can see that they're building a roll, calculating every decision to the tenth degree, and very rarely putting more than 40% of their stack into a pot without the nuts. They just don't continue past the flop unless they're golden. Of course, a lot of the time this allows us to profit off of simply bet/fold but when you get into the games where there's 3 and 4 chain calls every hand and every hand is 3 or 4 way...who knows what to do anymore? The opponents certainly aren't considering my range there and I have no idea how to put them on a range there.

Of course, all of my experience thus far is online but I already know enough to know there's no way it's easier to win $200 from someone than $5. These table dynamics I'm describing must come up at live games, too. What do you do? Just find another game to start going to? Adapt to the game at hand? I want to be able to adapt to any game (one day, at one point) and learn how to beat it. I'm stubborn and when something gets virtually impossible, I'll spend more time on that than the ten things in front of me that are cake. Where I'm at now, and really being fully invested in the game, I want to figure these situations out. I hate that feeling of being lost on the turn and facing some monstrous check raise.
    edited December 2017
    Ninjah wrote: »
    We can sit and debate defending with 40, 50, 60, or 70% of your range on a given board and day long but to me there is one major takeaway from that book and that is people fold too easily. The book gives you examples of how to construct your range in a manner that gives you more opportunities to defend by floating with hands that have backdoor equity and other hands that can improve (or hands to barrel when you are the aggressor). People don't barrel enough or defend enough and the stickier you become, the more difficult you will be to play against.

Against softer opponents I've already won just a ton of pots on the turn and river by implementing things from the series and simply betting a good 65%+ pot where I would have just check/folded in the past. The problems that I'm discussing are when we're talking about a table where villain's pyramid starts extremely narrow and trickles down from there. So narrow that unless we remove tons of our range from continuance, we're almost always behind if money's going into the pot. So, the solution is to attack the dead money and attack the blinds but as, once again, persuedeo points out - villains counter to this is keeping the pot as absolutely small as possible before he sees the flop. This way, if we do take it down, it's virtually meaningless. If we're past the flop with this type of villain and we're not holding a very strong hand, we're almost always beat. There's very little left in his remaining pyramid to bluff. So, in the end, where do we get our value from? Where is it? And if we can't find it, has villain found a way to theoretically beat us?
    edited December 2017
    ...So I go over to Ignition because it's clearly softer there. Things start out with me folding (as I should have) several hands that just runner runnered or rivered gold for me. I mean just miracle cards I would have caught if I was still in the hand, and guys giving tons of action on the hands. Ok...I don't tilt, but I certainly notice it happening 3 or 4 times.

Then this:

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD & Database

NL Holdem $0.05(BB)
    CO ($4.84)
    BTN ($4.38)
    SB ($4.65)
    HERO ($5)
    UTG ($5.4)
    HJ ($5.51)

Dealt to Hero 7:diamond: K:diamond:

UTG Raises To $0.15 (Rem. Stack: 5.25), HJ Folds, CO Folds, BTN Calls $0.15 (Rem. Stack: 4.23), SB Calls $0.13 (Rem. Stack: 4.50), HERO Calls $0.1 (Rem. Stack: 4.85)

Flop ($0.60) A:diamond: K:spade: 7:club:
    SB Checks, HERO Bets $0.25 (Rem. Stack: 4.60), UTG Folds, BTN Calls $0.25 (Rem. Stack: 3.98), SB Calls $0.25 (Rem. Stack: 4.25)

Turn ($1.35) A:diamond: K:spade: 7:club: 9:club:
    SB Checks, HERO Bets $1.12 (Rem. Stack: 3.48), BTN Calls $1.12 (Rem. Stack: 2.86), SB Calls $1.12 (Rem. Stack: 3.13)

River ($4.71) A:diamond: K:spade: 7:club: 9:club: 5:heart:
    SB Checks, HERO Bets $3.48 (allin) (Rem. Stack: 0.00), BTN Calls $2.86 (allin) (Rem. Stack: 0.00), SB Folds

BTN shows 9:spade: 9:diamond:

BTN wins $9.91
    HERO wins $0.62

And this:

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD & Database

NL Holdem $0.05(BB)
    CO ($5.36)
    BTN ($4.95)
    SB ($2.6)
    HERO ($6.71)
    HJ ($4.42)

Dealt to Hero 7:diamond: 5:diamond:

HJ Folds, CO Raises To $0.15 (Rem. Stack: 5.21), BTN Calls $0.15 (Rem. Stack: 4.80), SB Calls $0.13 (Rem. Stack: 2.45), HERO Calls $0.1 (Rem. Stack: 6.56)

Flop ($0.60) 8:diamond: 6:heart: 4:heart:
    SB Checks, HERO Checks, CO Checks, BTN Bets $0.35 (Rem. Stack: 4.45), SB Calls $0.35 (Rem. Stack: 2.10), HERO Raises To $1.3 (Rem. Stack: 5.26), CO Folds, BTN Folds, SB Calls $0.95 (Rem. Stack: 1.15)

Turn ($3.55) 8:diamond: 6:heart: 4:heart: 7:heart:
    SB Checks, HERO Bets $5.26 (allin) (Rem. Stack: 0.00), SB Calls $1.15 (allin) (Rem. Stack: 0.00)

River ($9.96) 8:diamond: 6:heart: 4:heart: 7:heart: 3:heart:

SB shows 2:heart: Q:heart:

SB wins $5.56
    HERO wins $4.11

I really don't know how to contend with this. I run into sets just absolutely constantly like this. Constantly. Any other time I get the money in great on the flop, they just call guys. As you see - it doesn't matter what they have a lot of the time. I have hands I won huge where guys were just x/r ,calling, shoving with air. No rhyme or reason.

During this session, I also watched guys stacking off with air, top pair mid kicker, two pair. I really don't see how anyone can keep their mental game together with sessions like that, all while studying concepts like this and trying to implement them. You try not to be results oriented but this is going on for years with me. Here I still am, trying with everything I have but thus far...I still don't see how you can beat these games long term.

In the last month I still have a small sample size but it's getting difficult to repeatedly justify going out and pouring money away like this rather than just withdrawing the money I have on the sites (almost $900 collectively) and moving on. I'm right back to not being able to make any money, at any stake/game. I've said this on here before and it's dead truth: I have never spent even 1/10th the time and effort on anything else and continued to get results this horrible. Not one other thing I've ever tried in my life. That's a total fact.
    /rant off. At least you see the thoughts and feelings of someone in my shoes on "paper". In the past I would have just gone to bed now but I simply put on a couple of HUSNG's to cool off and keep myself in the game. Really, really frustrating to be in these cash games sometimes, though. I know you guys preach that there's less volatility and variance in cash but unless I sit on the nuts, I'm not noticing that at all. Maybe cash is more profitable, but the swings are pretty crazy sometimes, especially when you implement more aggression and a LAG style. This is discussed in the 1% series.
    edited December 2017
    Just had a couple of good sessions. I had a beautiful triple barrel bluff I pulled off against a guy who's pyramid was almost in reverse and folded a lot on 1/2+ pot sized turn and river bets. During these past two sessions, I began to understand the concepts we're talking about here more and better identifying where my misunderstandings were.

I also identified some terrible leaks:

1) Raising preflop with hands that need to simply be removed from that part of the pyramid. It's too wide and it's just draining bb's from my winrate.

2) As a result, as James points out in the series, I couldn't right the ship post flop and once again, then wound up exhibiting aggression in the wrong places...and in doing so spewing 2 BI's in the hands I posted. Maybe they're not pure spew but I certainly learned from them.

3) I simply need to pay attention to who's doing what from where more. The on table focus needs to improve. I have my HUDs set up nicely and I need to use them as much as possible in bigger situations. I have a tendency to make haste in bigger pots and this is obviously also a horrendous leak.

4) I've quickly become results oriented again and am paying attention to my bankroll during sessions. I need to cut this out immediately and keep it out this time.

Again, whereas I previously would have put this down for the night hours ago to avoid further tilt, I settled down, put things in proper perspective, and made some progress. Obviously going to keep digging at this 100% because as much as I gripe about the cash game when I'm losing...there's nothing like it when you're winning. Since I've been studying here, when the money comes in it comes in chunks. So, when I'm running well and playing my best, this is definitely where the best money comes from. It's just really hard and tests your mental game to the core.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file