Sweeney: The Poker's 1% Video Series

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,070 -
    Yowza wrote: »
    Short answer - I need to drown my inner nit, especially pre.

=)
    I posted this in another topic, but I'm reposting it here as I think this is the official 1% page.
    I open UTG with 77+, suited Broadway, A2s-A5s, A9s, AQo, AKo, and KQo for 11% and 144 combos. The cutoff calls.
    Flop is 3c 5d Js leaving me with 135 combos. 70% of 135 is 94. With 1:2 ratio of value bets to bluffs I need 31 value bets to 63 bluffs.
    I choose AA, KK, QQ as shoe in value bets along with suited Broadway cards containing a Jack, giving me 33 value combos. For bluffs, I go with 77-TT, remaining suited Broadways, and suited Aces for 64 bluff combos. I keep JJ, AKo, AQo, and KQo in my checking range.
    Turn is 9C and brings up two questions. First, if the flop checks through, do I take 70% of my opening range to the turn or do I pretend I bet and use 70% of my betting range.
    Second, if I had bet the flop, this turn card leaves me 65 combos. 70% is 46 combos. At a 1:1 ratio, I need 23 value bets to 23 bluffs. But I have 36 shoe in value combos to start with. That is more than I needed for the flop bets.
    Am I doing something wrong?

Hey CD:

1. Assuming you are firing the flop properly, you will find it very difficult to find a good 70% of turn fires if the flop goes check-check. I mentioned this in the beginning of the series, but your "do NOT fire" bucket is usually comprised of many failed bluffs and as such you are not going to fire many of them on future streets. (short answer, if the flop goes check-check, you are not going to fire 70% of the time on the turn)
    2. How is the 9♣ on the turn dropping your combos from 94 (on the flop) down to 65? I think that is where you finding the issue (incorrect turn combo count)
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • AmarilloMarkAmarilloMark Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
    SplitSuit wrote: »
    2. How is the 9♣ on the turn dropping your combos from 94 (on the flop) down to 65? I think that is where you finding the issue (incorrect turn combo count)

Yeah, I obviously screwed that up. Sorry to take your time. Back to the spreadsheet.
  • keasbeykeasbey Red Chipper Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hello friends, i made a souped up version of the spread sheet free for people to use.

You can download it here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x67p5v9pyca0o0n/WIP5.xlsm?dl=0

Just FYI you will need microsoft excel, and you will need to enable content.

click the buttons in the card matrix to have the hand & combos pop up in the colored areas, then you have to ---- CUT AND PASTE---- to the flop continuance area. from there, copy and paste and just edit them individually.

Not everything is automated. for example you will need to edit the "need" boxes to show your continuance percentage. Default value are the ones discussed in the series. adjust higher or lower by multiplying by 0.5 for 50% or 0.8 for 80%. youll catch on.

Also it doesnt take into account blockers so you will have to input them yourself which is good practice anyway.

it saves you the tedious headache of inputting your opening range which i found to be the most annoying part.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,832 -
    There were some requests for us to put up all 11 videos in this series as a playlist for ease of watching.

TADA!

https://redchippoker.com/pro/playlists/the-one-percent/
    Moderation In Moderation
    edited August 2018
    Yeah, I obviously screwed that up. Sorry to take your time. Back to the spreadsheet.

No stress at all. Glad it was an easy fix =)
    keasbey wrote: »
    Hello friends, i made a souped up version of the spread sheet free for people to use.

Could you upload this to Google Drive and make the link public? I'd love to check it out, but as a rule I don't download links without a preview.
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    There were some requests for us to put up all 11 videos in this series as a playlist for ease of watching....

Fancy!
  • keasbeykeasbey Red Chipper Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    SplitSuit wrote: »
    keasbey wrote: »

Could you upload this to Google Drive and make the link public? I'd love to check it out, but as a rule I don't download links without a preview.

Just sent it to you on discord, but here is the google drive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12Mxi8EYlT_3FISkP_J6x0w6tYJdusTQt/view?usp=sharing
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that continuation ranges should differ for many but for the purpose of the exercice they'll be just fine.

100BB Deep 6-Max
    Hero opens 3x from HJ only BTN Calls, HU going post-flop.
    Villain rarely 3B and when he do it is top left corner. IP he will flat some very strong holdings.

Here is Hero opening range (254 combos):
    ws5v9qdgn8f8.png

Here is BTN calling range(407 combos):
    d3xyo4j6wnbh.png

Flop is: :Qh:9d:2s

On this Flop Hero got 228 combos & Villain got 367.5 combos.

Hero Cbet 75% of Pot with: 3 of a Kind, Overpair & Top Pair.

This account for 60 combos:
    KK+, QcQs, QdQs, QdQc, 9h9s, 9c9s, 9c9h, 2c2h, 2d2h, 2d2c, AsQs, AcQc, AdQd, KsQs, KcQc, KdQd, QsTs+, QcTc+, QdTd+, AhQs, AcQs, AdQs, AdQc, AsQc, AsQd, AhQc, AhQd, AcQd, KhQs, KcQs, KdQs, KdQc, KsQc, KsQd, KhQc, KhQd, KcQd, QcJs, QcJh, QdJs, QdJh, QdJc, QsJh, QsJc, QsJd, QcJd
    75ztyjijcbo6.png

He will bluff and protect this range which account for 115 combos:
    JJ-TT, 8c8s, 8c8h, 7c7s, 7c7h, 6c6s, 6c6h, 5c5s, 5c5h, 4c4s, 4c4h, 3c3s, 3c3h, AKs, AsJs-As3s, AhJh-Ah2h, Ac9c, Ac2c, AdJd-AdTd, Ad8d-Ad2d, KJs-KTs, JTs, Ts9s, Th9h, Tc9c, 9s8s, 9h8h, 9c8c, 8s7s, 8h7h, 8d7d, 7s6s, 7h6h, 7d6d, 6s5s, 6h5h, 6d5d, AKo, AhJs, AhJc, AhJd, AhTs, AhTc, AhTd, KJo
    omd4fldz37ps.png

We are firing 77% of the flop Overall range at a 1:2 Ratio

Given our 75% PSB on Flop, the math says that Villain need to defend optimally 57%(Minimum Defense Frequency) which account for 210 combos of his 367.5 combos on flop.

Let's say he is competent and will call with very strong holdings some decent % of the time.

Here is his range which account for 210.25 combos
    KK+, JJ-TT, 88-33, QcQs, QdQs, QdQc, 9h9s, 9c9s, 9c9h, 2c2h, 2d2h, 2d2c, AKs, AsQs-As3s, AhJh-Ah2h, AcQc, Ac9c, AdQd-AdTd, Ad8d-Ad2d, Ks9s+, KhJh-Kh9h, KcQc, Kc9c, KdTd+, Qs9s+, Qc9c+, QdTd+, Js9s+, Jh9h+, Jc9c, JdTd, Ts8s+, Th8h+, Tc9c, Td8d, 9s7s+, 9h7h+, 9c7c+, 8s6s+, 8d6d+, 7s6s, 7d6d, 5s3s+, 5d3d+, 4s3s, 4h2h, 4d2d+, 3h2h, 3d2d, AKo, AhQs, AcQs, AdQs, AdQc, AsQc, AsQd, AhQc, AhQd, AcQd, Ah9s, Ac9s, Ac9h, Ad9s, Ad9h, Ad9c, As9h, As9c, Ah9c, KhQs, KcQs, KdQs, KdQc, KsQc, KsQd, KhQc, KhQd, KcQd, KhJs, KdJs, KdJh, KdJc, KsJh, KsJc, KsJd, KhJc, KhJd, KhTs, KdTs, KdTh, KdTc, KsTh, KsTc, KsTd, KhTc, KhTd, QcJs, QcJh, QdJs, QdJh, QdJc, QsJh, QsJc, QsJd, QcJd, QcTs, QcTh, QdTs, QdTh, QdTc, QsTh, QsTc, QsTd, QcTd, JhTs, JdTs, JdTh, JdTc, JsTh, JsTc, JsTd, JhTc, JhTd; Weights: AA:75%, KK:75%, QQ:75%, JJ:50%, 99:75%, 22:75%, AKs:25%, AQs:75%, KQs:75%, QJs:75%, QTs:75%, Q9s:75%, AKo:25%, AQo:75%, KQo:75%, QJo:75%, QTo:75%
    ua52b917ldir.png

On Turn board is : :Qh:9d:2s:7s

On this Turn Hero got 171 combos & Villain got 203.25 combos.

Hero Cbet 75% of Pot with: 3 of a Kind, Overpair & Top Pair.

This account for 61 combos:
    KK+, QcQs, QdQs, QdQc, 9h9s, 9c9s, 9c9h, 7c7h, 2c2h, 2d2h, 2d2c, AsQs, AcQc, AdQd, KsQs, KcQc, KdQd, QsTs+, QcTc+, QdTd+, AhQs, AcQs, AdQs, AdQc, AsQc, AsQd, AhQc, AhQd, AcQd, KhQs, KcQs, KdQs, KdQc, KsQc, KsQd, KhQc, KhQd, KcQd, QcJs, QcJh, QdJs, QdJh, QdJc, QsJh, QsJc, QsJd, QcJd
    zls5m5kccdes.png

He will bluff and protect this range which account for 64 combos:
    JcJh, JdJh, JdJc, TcTh, TdTh, TdTc, 8c8s, 8c8h, AKs, AsJs-AsTs, As8s, As6s-As3s, Ac9c, KJs-KTs, JTs, Ts9s, 9s8s, 8s7s, 8h7h, 8d7d, 7h6h, 6s5s, 6h5h, 6d5d, AKo, KJo
    xb0kooq6r6rg.png

We are firing 71% of the turn Overall range at a 1:1 Ratio

Let's say that on Turn Villain now raise all his value and strong holdings carried from flop and calls with some decent hands but not enough strong to raise.

Since we are firing 75% PSB ont Turn again, MDF is the same for Villain which is 57% and represent 116 combos of those 203.25.

His calling range is this which account for 62.5 combos:
    JJ-TT, 88, AsJs-AsTs, As8s-As3s, AhKh, Ah9h, Ah7h, AcKc, Ac9c, AdKd, Ad7d, Kh9h, Kc9c, QsTs+, QcTc+, QdTd+, Jh9h, Jc9c, Th9h, Tc9c, 9h8h, 9c8c, AsKh, AsKc, AsKd, Ah9s, Ac9s, Ac9h, Ad9s, Ad9h, Ad9c, As9h, As9c, Ah9c, QcJs, QcJh, QdJs, QdJh, QdJc, QsJh, QsJc, QsJd, QcJd, QcTs, QcTh, QdTs, QdTh, QdTc, QsTh, QsTc, QsTd, QcTd; Weights: JJ:50%, AKs:25%, QJs:75%, QTs:75%, AKo:25%, QJo:75%, QTo:75%
    vf22iowrz9f4.png

On River board is : :Qh:9d:2s:7s:3D:

On this River Hero got 125 combos & Villain got 62.50 combos.

Hero Cbet 75% of Pot with: 3 of a Kind, Overpaid and TP

This account for 61 combos:
    KK+, QcQs, QdQs, QdQc, 9h9s, 9c9s, 9c9h, 7c7h, 2c2h, 2d2h, 2d2c, AsQs, AcQc, AdQd, KsQs, KcQc, KdQd, QsTs+, QcTc+, QdTd+, AhQs, AcQs, AdQs, AdQc, AsQc, AsQd, AhQc, AhQd, AcQd, KhQs, KcQs, KdQs, KdQc, KsQc, KsQd, KhQc, KhQd, KcQd, QcJs, QcJh, QdJs, QdJh, QdJc, QsJh, QsJc, QsJd, QcJd
    5p3lps49y4w9.png

He is bluffing with those 27 combos with 0% equity (poled):
    KJs-KTs, JTs, 6s5s, 6h5h, 6d5d, KJo
    ldfed1b8bqn3.png

We are firing 70% of the River Overall range at a 2:1 Ratio

With our 75% PSB River MDF for Villain is 57% obviously and this would represent 36 combos for his overall River range.

So he would call with something like this which represent 46 combos:
    JJ-TT, Ah9h, Ac9c, Kh9h, Kc9c, QsTs+, QcTc+, QdTd+, Jh9h, Jc9c, Th9h, Tc9c, 9h8h, 9c8c, Ah9s, Ac9s, Ac9h, Ad9s, Ad9h, Ad9c, As9h, As9c, Ah9c, QcJs, QcJh, QdJs, QdJh, QdJc, QsJh, QsJc, QsJd, QcJd, QcTs, QcTh, QdTs, QdTh, QdTc, QsTh, QsTc, QsTd, QcTd; Weights: JJ:50%, QJs:75%, QTs:75%, QJo:75%, QTo:75%
    run0779h257t.png

Our betting range River vs. V calling range got 66.73% equity vs. his 33.27%

This was from an old thread but thought would bring some insight.

I haven't finished the series. Only watched episodes 1, 2, & 11.

Question: if villain continues 70%, shouldn't we use a 42% cbet size or smaller as an exploit? I feel the larger the cbet we just end up exploiting ourselves.
    persuadeo wrote: »
    I swear to God I am done defending Ed Miller when he is too much of a hairy-knuckled, fantasy league pisser to come in and discuss it himself or deign to respond to Colldav's original study thread.

You're NOT SUPPOSED TO JUST CONTINUE BLINDLY AGAINST BAD "EVENTS" WHICH IS THE SUBSTITUTE FOR HAND READING AND OPPONENT FREQUENCIES.

Just read more carefully, everyone, for the love of your bankroll, since you hate accuracy so much.

That's it, I'm done!

Hey, I feel 70% better!!!!!!!

Another post I felt needed bumped to this new thread.
    Let's get things straight once and for all with that 70% frequency.

It is based on a formula which is based on; each bet size on each streets of a specific line.

This formula is easily found on the net.

Now why the 70% frequency as a foundation.

Let's explore different bet size lines and see the ratio.

100BB Deep
    We are the PFR and we are IP in a 6.5BB HU pot on Flop.
    We got 236 combos on Flop and from that, 50 combos are value; Sets, T2P, Overpair, TP. If we include PP under Top Card we will get closer to 70% on flop betting frequency.
    Flop and Range doesn't matter.

Our betting line(%of Pot Size) is (Flop/Turn/River):

75%/75%/75%
    With this betting line, given we have 50 combos of value on each streets, we should have this ratio of value/bluff:

FLOP= 50/96 (almost 1:2) for a betting frequency of 62% of the original Flop range.
    TURN= 50/52 (almost 1:1) for a betting frequency of 70% of the original Turn range.
    RIVER= 50/21 (almost 2:1) for a betting frequency of 70% of the original River range.

NOW let's explore an other line.

60%/60%/100%
    With this betting line, given we have 50 combos of value on each streets, we should have this ratio of value/bluff:

FLOP= 50/92 (almost 1:2) for a betting frequency of 60% of the original Flop range.
    TURN= 50/53 (almost 1:1) for a betting frequency of 73% of the original Turn range.
    RIVER= 50/25 (Perfect 2:1) for a betting frequency of 73% of the original River range.

PRETTY CLOSE between the 2 lines right !?

NOW let's explore an other line.

75%/50%/100%

FLOP= 50/93 (almost 1:2) for a betting frequency of 61% of the original Flop range.
    TURN= 50/50 (Perfect 1:1) for a betting frequency of 70% of the original Turn range.
    RIVER= 50/25 (Perfect 2:1) for a betting frequency of 75% of the original River range.

As we can see, we are never far from that 70% frequency no matter the betting line. Of course when overbets are included, depending on the stack depth obviously, on some streets the frequency will deviate more, but overall the 70% frequency is a VERY GOOD starting ground when we want to start to explore BALANCE with our ranges into our strategy, mostly because of the standards bet sizings players use.

This one I think answers my question, but ill have to read it a few times over.
    persuadeo wrote: »
    You can't shape a strategy for all situations out of some arbitrary frequency. You and others really need to give this 70% thing a rest and actually read the book.

"I think this book will be widely misread, mostly by people who skim it once, never do the requisite study the book recommends, and interpret Ed as advocating maniacal play." - Nate Meyvis

This is the last one I took from the old thread. I thought these 3 quotes from @Adam Wheeler @persuadeo are really good for understanding and visualizing the 1% series.

Old thread from last year linked below. I think I quoted a lot of the imperative information though. Some good discussion between @kenaces as well. I think they almost continued in this thread... Battle of grind poker minds

https://forum.redchippoker.com/discussion/9783/question-about-70-rule-in-bb/p1
    kagey wrote: »
    from Janda's Applications of NLHE

ua3xl4rlf1cz.jpeg
    kenaces wrote: »
    kagey wrote: »
    from Janda's Applications of NLHE

ua3xl4rlf1cz.jpeg

It depends on flop texture, RvR, bet size, number of players, position, stack depth...

https://redchippoker.com/pro/playlists/constructing-ranges/

Just finished video #4. Split suit recommended this series as well for hand examples.

Not sure why under
    Pro
    - play list
    It doesn't show up unless you search it... Maybe an oversight of mine, but took me a min to find all 5 before finding the play list.
    @SplitSuit or whomever can answer.

For continuance and balancing your checking range so it's not "gutted" should we be listing some weak top pairs as part of our value range? Does not even have to be top pair, but maybe something you plan to check raise or check call with.

For simplicity we will use 100 combos
    On the flop
    46 bluff
    24 value
    Checking 30

If we have top pair or maybe a set for 10 of those combos in our checking range would we then just have 14 combos of value in our betting range? Same thing with bluffs. Maybe we have some gutters we plan to check raise with, would we then drop our bluff combos down?

In part 6 of the series I believe it was on the turn where James had 58 combos of value, 58 combos of bluffs, and rest were in his checking range. Of that checking range contained a lot of top pair and middle pair because he was polarizing the turn bet. In check calling half the turn check range, wouldn't that be continuing with 85%?
    Austin wrote: »

1. If you have that few combos on a street, maybe hold back one of your sets and bet the other two. This way you can still fire the flop often, you protect your checking range, and you don't remove too much nuttish power from your firing range overall.
    2. You do not add 70% firing + X% check/continue to get an overall continuance for that street. The fork changes once you check =)
  • PUPPYPUPPY Red Chipper Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Hello new to pro and reading 1% now. I’ve backtracked through some of the past posts. Is anyone working through this currently? Just thought I’d say hello here because it’s what I’m studying. Any thoughts going on or everyone already solve all the kinks? 🤔
    PUPPY wrote: »
    Hello new to pro and reading 1% now. I’ve backtracked through some of the past posts. Is anyone working through this currently? Just thought I’d say hello here because it’s what I’m studying. Any thoughts going on or everyone already solve all the kinks? 🤔

Welcome! People jump in and out at their own pace - and I suspect you'll do the same. When going through the course, I suggest that you jot questions down but avoid dumping them in the forum until you've finished the full thing. The questions you develop in the first few videos will likely be answered in due-time throughout the course =)

Enjoy it!
  • ericmwhiteericmwhite Red Chipper Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Hi everyone! I have a question about a the c-betting homework from this video series. When I run the numbers on the second example, I get different answers. The attachment shows the question an answer from James' answer key as well as my work in Flopzilla.

Does anyone notice a flaw in what I've done? Or this is a mistake in the answer key?

7zyd9vkdjj3e.png
  • RussRuss Red Chipper Posts: 142 ✭✭
    @ericmwhite
    It's your overcard filter. Even though it's turned off, it's allowing KJs, KJo, QJs, and QJo through. I don't know if this is a Flopzilla bug or what, but I always clear the manually set filters when I run a new hand, otherwise they stick and mess with the results. If I've changed a bunch of the filters, a lot of times I just restart Flopzilla to clear it all out and get a clean set of filters.
    dfoxm21v4pqk.png
    good eye, that man
    Moderation In Moderation
    Ahh yes, that’s it. Thanks @Russ I!
    Nice eye @Russ I =)

@ericmwhite: It's super easy to get turned around in Flopzilla, especially when doing advanced filtering within a specific category. When in doubt, I find it helps to switch over to combo mode (TAB key) and eyeball things.
    Another question, this time from the book. I’m curious what point Ed is trying to make.

See the attached snippet. Is the reason for the higher fold frequency due to the fact that we started with a huge range as the BB? Or does he consider the pot sized bet some sort of a “bad event” that justifies lower continuance?

What if the cutoff had made the bet preflop and we called from the button. Would he suggest we stlll continue at a lower frequency due to a pot sized bet?

y0r4sqids4yx.jpeg
    👋 hey Eric good questions!
    I imagine that from the cutoff we have looked ahead and made adjustments to the players left to act and so our range would not realistically ever be so bloated with junk hands. If there was a game where we found a situation that allowed us to call profitably with range as wide as the B.B. than we would have adjust our continuance frequency more than 70% so the good situation has changed into a bad one for our range? We get to call more in their BB because the reduced price and we end the action so we adjust accordingly. Just my thoughts though
    You know this spot also mirrors the situation where you open and your hand falls into a category that doesn’t c bet. If the opponent then bets after you check you are not expecting to defend tour checking range 70% you have seeded (maybe) some hands that can continue and the others are the crap that didn’t make it and the middle.
    I think part of it is the large c-bet is a bad event, but from what I recall it goes a bit deeper than that. As indicated in the text, part of it is simply that the preflop pot odds compel the BB to inflate the base of their pyramid. Thus unlike other positions, or in the situation where we were the opener, we're in a rare spot where it's simply not possible to maintain a smooth edge from the preflop base to the second layer on the flop. Another way of looking at it is that the preflop raiser has sort of had to pay a premium to come into the pot in the first place (in that the BB has this discount). Your broader range in the BB means you'll continue below the canonical 70% value, but the fact you'll sometimes defend by 3-betting preflop prevents this from being an auto-exploit situation for the original raiser.
    Moderation In Moderation
    That makes sense thx
  • driller1driller1 Red Chipper Posts: 27 ✭✭
    If you are a natural tag, would a good first approximation of this strategy be:

1. Continue to play tight pre-flop. Add some 3 bets.
    2. Instead of folding or check folding when you mostly whiff the flop, continue with holdings like middle pair, gutshots, back door fd, etc. These are hands a standard tag might fold and not folding them will get you closer to 70%. Try to maintain the proper bluff/value bet ratios.
    3. Continue to work away from the table and as Ed and James point out, your "intuition" will improve over time.
    4. ??
  • driller1driller1 Red Chipper Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Another question for James. Do the principles of this book now govern your play? Another way of saying, which is more important, hand reading or frequency or ??
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file