Going from Online to Live difficulties

2»

Comments

• AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Octavian I wrote: »
    Austin wrote: »
    Wiki_Leaks wrote: »
    I remember when i bought TOP. In great anticipation i walked up to the register at barnes and noble and put the book on the counter. The lady at the counter picked up the book, shook her head, and said “you know this stuff is bs right? This cant help you win.” If only she knew how damn smart that statement really was.

I would donate my copy to goodwill but i dont want some poor, naieve sap reading it. Oh well, im going camping soon and ill need some firewood.

Well, in that case use all your books for firewood and learn from YouTube or Google .

If everything else is trash, why are you on this site? Were all losers right? You should quit the site and go read your book again. You are obviously the best player here with a 20bb+ win rate per hour. Come back and visit us after a year and maybe we will be on your level.

Well, actually I'm at 29bb/hour for this year. Live NL mostly in Vegas and some at the Commerce for almost 2000 hours. And, as a note: I'm not here to learn anything new but to see how other people think and approach the game. To be honest, I can see here some good and strong players. Not strong enough but never the less, strong and aggressive. Still, most people can't find the place where money are hidden in this game and be able to go in there and take it. What I can see very clearly, most people don't know what to do over and over again, the same actions, to grind money into their stacks.

Proof it! I didn't know they offered play money at the commerce. Which games do you play there? Im just fasinated about your ability to constantly lie to yourself. Your not actually fooling anyone here. Please stop trolling this wonderful site and go back to playing on pokerstars play money tables and trolling 2+2 with the others. Your ruining a great site with your non-sense.
  • Dean MDean M Red Chipper Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Steve W wrote: »
    2. I am not the most extroverted person in the world. I definately not a chatty person at the table. I am not a sports nut as TV's are on throughout a poker table and chattieness seems to be around sports and sport betting and the like. I do pick up on the action that people are giving each other at the table etc but it's not what I enjoy.

Don't be afraid of poking a little fun at yourself... I've been into fast cars & motorcycles since the earliest I can remember and never much of a 'stick & ball' sports fan.

Several years ago when I started playing live enough that people knew my name, a dealer turned to me and said "Dean, what's your pick to win the stanley cup playoffs?" Of course, I had no idea who was in the playoffs so I just tried to think of something absurd enough to be funny and said "I don't think the Steelers can win it this year"

The table laughed and it became a recurring joke - thus, everyone in the room knows not to ask me sports questions...
    Well, actually I'm at 29bb/hour for this year. Live NL mostly in Vegas and some at the Commerce for almost 2000 hours. And, as a note: I'm not here to learn anything new but to see how other people think and approach the game. To be honest, I can see here some good and strong players.

We're very close the same skill level - I'm at 28bb/hr. Of course, I don't document any losing sessions greater than 1 buy-in as I consider them an aberration

• ChipXtractorChipXtractor Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I have begun to no longer log my losing sessions as well. Of all the things I have done to work on my game this single decision has had the greatest impact on my win rate. It also has done wonders for my mental game. Highly recommended.
    Twitter = @ChipXtractor
    I only log in my losing sessions as +EV decisions, haven't lost in 3 years. I'm about 20bb\100 below my expected all in line.
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭✭
    Here are the things I want to ask the community for tips and tricks of the live setting.

1. I am not good at reading stacked chips. I know this will come with experience. I do know that it's best to stack chips 20 high and so your 1-20 5-100 and 25-500 so that is in there. So i am alright in the 1-2 games but struggle in tournament live play as of course more chips at play.
    2. I am not the most extroverted person in the world. I definately not a chatty person at the table. I am not a sports nut as TV's are on throughout a poker table and chattieness seems to be around sports and sport betting and the like. I do pick up on the action that people are giving each other at the table etc but it's not what I enjoy.
    3. I have a hard time with taking notes at the table. I usually have so much information blown at me that I simply don't remember one hand to the next. I am going to try different apps on my pone and seem to be doing ok with the Analytics 4 which does well for me but in discussion of live hands, I simply am all messed up by the time the hand is done and really remembering the aciton throughout the hand that I am actually involved with.

Thanks in advance for anyone to help me with your tips and tricks at the table. The goal for me in 2018 is to play more live and tick number one on the list is get comfortable with my style of play. Not be results oriented, make every decision with the best I can give to the poker at the time and really take the time off the table to really work on the game.

Just playing a bunch live should help with everything you mention.

You can always ask how much someone is playing. You can talk as little or as much as you want on the felt - it takes all types. I like using evernote app on phone to take the occasional note.

I will suggest 2 other areas to consider working on when transitioning to live play
    - work on playing multiway pot as they are the norm in live poker
    - find ways to learn patience/discipline in the context of a live poker game it can be very different from playing online
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    SplitSuit wrote: »
    And, as a note: I'm not here to learn anything new but to see how other people think and approach the game. To be honest, I can see here some good and strong players. Not strong enough but never the less, strong and aggressive. Still, most people can't find the place where money are hidden in this game and be able to go in there and take it. What I can see very clearly, most people don't know what to do over and over again, the same actions, to grind money into their stacks.

If that's truly what you are here for, you are totally welcome to be an observer. But you are clearly becoming a distraction and offering very little to the conversation.

If you just want to agitate people, go elsewhere.

Bang bang.
    And, as a note: I'm not here to learn anything new but to see how other people think and approach the game. To be honest, I can see here some good and strong players. Not strong enough but never the less, strong and aggressive. Still, most people can't find the place where money are hidden in this game and be able to go in there and take it. What I can see very clearly, most people don't know what to do over and over again, the same actions, to grind money into their stacks.

If that's truly what you are here for, you are totally welcome to be an observer. But you are clearly becoming a distraction and offering very little to the conversation.

If you just want to agitate people, go elsewhere.

I will say Josepsh F had a similar issue but admitted he had some what of meltdown and turned his game around after taking a break and coming back with an open mind. Octavian however, has been trolling for weeks. I think he is so deep i to his own lie he can't get out of it and in his mind his lie has become his own truth.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,950 -

Thank you sir. This is on my radar now
    My new book lays out the playbook for AK. Grab your copy and start Optimizing Ace King!
  • NYCRyNYCRy Red Chipper Posts: 324 ✭✭✭
    Octavian however, has been trolling for weeks. I think he is so deep i to his own lie he can't get out of it and in his mind his lie has become his own truth.

Agreed. I skip every one of his posts and its getting harder and harder to get through threads and gain clarity from them
  • stranstran Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
    ....., from online- ignition and have reached my goal of 150k of hands strickly in 10nl and I turned a profit from it. 3.25bb/100 hands.

Sorry to say but 3.25bb/100 is not enough to beat any game. However, even with a perfect play in the hardest and toughest games, a result of 3.25/100 is insignificant. I would say that to beat the live games for some money worth the effort and work involved would be on average 20bb/100. If you can't do that, the standard deviation/variance will knock your bankroll down at some point and be out of business. [/quo
  • KemahPhilKemahPhil Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭

Here are the things I want to ask the community for tips and tricks of the live setting.

3. I have a hard time with taking notes at the table. I usually have so much information blown at me that I simply don't remember one hand to the next. I am going to try different apps on my pone and seem to be doing ok with the Analytics 4 which does well for me but in discussion of live hands, I simply am all messed up by the time the hand is done and really remembering the aciton throughout the hand that I am actually involved with.

Thanks in advance for anyone to help me with your tips and tricks at the table. The goal for me in 2018 is to play more live and tick number one on the list is get comfortable with my style of play. Not be results oriented, make every decision with the best I can give to the poker at the time and really take the time off the table to really work on the game.

My suggestion is that you don't take notes until you have been playing for a while (if at all). The most important thing in live poker that is not a factor in online poker is watching how the other players act and being able to derive information from their actions. You can't do that if you are trying to take notes on your phone.

My note taking in online poker (don't actually play anymore) mostly involved trying to take notes about what a player did in a particular situation. This information was immediately available to me online but it is not going to be easily available to you during a live game.

• FuzzypupFuzzypup Red Chipper Posts: 52 ✭✭
    Stacks - set yours up for sizes that are in whole numbers you can read. Now you can eyeball their heights with your opponent's.

Social - if you don't want to talk just be polite. But you need to learn to read people's behaviors. Some good books out there on it. Important to be self aware of your own actions. People are human and we generally react the same way to the same things. So if you observe it in yourself you can see it in others. These books give you a good start: Mike Caro's book of tells, Elwood Reading Poker Tells, Psychology of Poker, Mental Game of Poker, Read em and Reap. People poo poo some of these books but the problem is they aren't connecting the dots for an overall picture of human behavior.

Notes - come up with shorthand. Realize that players have both pre and post flop aggression styles, patterns to their play, CB too much or fold too much. Realize what street they give up. Take notes on people who are specific and regular. Don't bother with the typical fish because they play very similar.
  • Steve WSteve W Red Chipper Posts: 43 ✭✭
    I had a relatively good session for my first live grind of the year at Jacks Cincy. I felt composed and astute. I know I have some leaks in my game but they are noticeable to me. It’s over folding my biggest and my double barrel frequencies were off. I can’t wait when some of what I call basics that my mind is currently using can start going into my unconscious competence so it will free up to more advance concepts that I already am online.

I don’t think it will take too long. I had a good long session on Saturday and my focus for the entire session is viewing irregular tendencies on the table. It was then clear where their ranges were throughout my hands that I finally knew what their ranges were which is where I like to be. I will send some hands in to the forum for line checks and some interesting spots.
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file