2NL Hand Review: Pocket 9 threebet in position against 2 villains

Brad CBrad C Red Chipper Posts: 181 ✭✭
edited December 2017 in Online Poker Hands
Both villains in this spot are playing pretty wide:

UTG+1: VPIP: 43.24 / PFR: 25.00
CO VPIP: 31.17

I'm 3betting here for value given the fairly wide PFR of UTG+1 and CO. I also have position on both which is amazing. More concerned with UTG+1 range given stack size and im like 60/40 against that range and on the flop I'm like 70/30, so seems like a really good spot to 3bet and have similar equity to go to the river against CO range here.

Maybe my sizing was a little small? I popped 4x which is slightly more than I might typically do if I'm only facing one villain but given that I'm on the button, I might not get as much credit given that my range is a lot wider here, so I might have been able to get away with betting much larger. What do you all think?

Flop is good for me and I think his bet is like really odd given how small it is. Possibly he's just trying to see how I react to it? That sizing though makes me think he has overs or maybe a small PP. I don't think anything decent bets 20 into a $1.59 (is this a fair assumption at 2NL? I guess this bet was slightly confusing)

I re-raise 3x for value because on this board, I am still way ahead and also because I think I can fold-out overcards like AK/AQ/AJ etc. etc. but I think this sizing was really bad. I'm basically betting 1/3 pot, so if he has two overs maybe a more sticky player prob calls me here. What do you all think?

I guess I'm not sure what I'd do here if he jammed on me or even just 4bet for pot or something, which is part of the issue with my raise here.. I just don't know what I do when my opponent does anything other than call/fold

As played, he folded but curious to get thoughts on how I played the overall hand - I'll letcha know what CO had but in either event I felt like I was favored at this point.

Thoughts?

BB: $0.89
UTG: $2.00
UTG+1: $7.20
MP: $0.45
MP+1: $0.97
MP+2: $2.00
CO: $0.52
Hero (BTN): $3.23
SB: $1.33

SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has :9D: : :9H:
fold, UTG+1 raises to $0.10, fold, fold, fold, CO calls $0.10, Hero raises to $0.40, fold, fold, UTG+1 calls $0.30, CO raises to $0.52 and is all-in, Hero calls $0.12, UTG+1 calls $0.12

Flop : ($1.59, 3 players) :5D::3S::8H:
UTG+1 bets $0.20, Hero raises to $0.60, fold

Turn : ($1.99, 2 players) :TC:

River : ($1.99, 2 players) :AD:

Comments

• Brad CBrad C Red Chipper Posts: 181 ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Another thing I'm thinking is maybe I should just re-raise pot on the flop or even just jam.

I'm ahead here most the time, so it's all for value but the next consdieration is what sizing is best for folding out overcards and still getting value from hands I'm beating. Like are there any hands I'm beating here that a small bet sizing will keep in? What are the pros/cons of jamming vs. betting pot vs. betting something smaller like I did?

edited December 2017
    One thing I've interested in is what happens in this same situation when the flop comes with 1, 2 or 3 over cards to my pair of 9 and villain decides to shove

If a K-T drops on the flop (and the other are are under cards) then I think I'm still pretty okay, specifically on the flop but most run outs are going to be pretty bad for me.

Against what i'd consider a reasonable shoving range for Villain, I'm left with 34% equity on a flop with an overcard - that's leaving some room for him to semi bluff with some of his open ended straits and AK hands. I need like 2:1 to call this and I wouldn't have it, so if an overcard comes and villain shoves, I'm kinda just screwed

Am I doing that right?
    edited December 2017
    This also got me thinking about my 3x raise... again WAY TOO SMALL. Based on what I'm looking at, I would imagine a competent player could just call and rep any two overs on the turn or river and put a lot of pressure on me. Like if we take the flop as it was played but villain calls and then an overcard comes on the turn - let's say it's an ace... with any reasonable villain calling range on the flop, I'm destroyed against his range.

So maybe I just need to shove here on the flop to realize my equity because villain range will be so far ahead if any overs come.

Then again, he doesn't know what I have and given my action at the table thus far, I probably seem extremely tight - I'd been fairly nitty but really just card dead so maybe he doesn't think he can rep over cards as hard bc theoretically, my range is actually going to improve on overs more than his (if I didn't know what my two hole cards were)

Anyway, just seems like there's a ton that can be thought about for this type of situation I feel like there's a bunch that I'm probably missing and I'm kinda just word vomitting my thoughts now, so I'll just write some of this off line lol

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file