Deep stack Lag vs shallow stack lag

kmuffman kkmuffman k Red Chipper Posts: 30 ✭✭
How do you guys adjust against a deep stack Lag (200+bb) vs a shallow stack Lag (75 bb below)? Or do we even need to make much adjustment? Lately, im having alot of trouble playing against these deep stack Lag. Either end up calling with 2nd best or they just flop good or run out on river, and I end up paying them off because of their image. I feel like a real fish when playing these guys. Sighh

Answers

• jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    A shallow stack LAG isn't much of a LAG, they are just generally just spewey or gambly. A good LAG needs deep stacks in order to effectively play his wide array a hands effectively.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vs shallow stack lag just make a pair and hang on

Vs deep stack lag you want to try and take initiative with your medium hands. Maybe raise your flush draws and check back turns or check raise vs a high cbet%. All depends on how laggy he is. Someone that opens a lot of pots preflop is not really a lag. They just like building pots and hoping to hit bingo.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Short stacks LAGs are easy. Just get high cards or big pairs and isolate him, put the money in preflop or on the flop if you make a pair. Deep stack LAGs are more difficult and are more or less the subject of entire books and forums on poker.
  • DoubleBarrelDoubleBarrel Hudson Valley, NYRed Chipper Posts: 870 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Austin wrote: »
    Vs shallow stack lag just make a pair and hang on

Vs deep stack lag you want to try and take initiative with your medium hands. Maybe raise your flush draws and check back turns or check raise vs a high cbet%. All depends on how laggy he is. Someone that opens a lot of pots preflop is not really a lag. They just like building pots and hoping to hit bingo.

You know...there were times in the past where I'd go nuts complaining that players were just playing bingo. Even that the game is just bingo. Lately I've begun to realize that it most certainly is if you let it be but this is a losing approach to the game and one that will take you absolutely nowhere.

These guys were absolutely killing me from the blinds and I'm beginning to flip the script on them a bit. They're clearly one of the worst player types once you identify them and this is why a lot of them prefer anonymous, micro stakes tables. It's basically the most profitable way for them to hit bingo and get paid. When it's non-anonymous and the blinds are bigger, they just get eaten by the sharks, obviously.

Still, they're going to hit their monster hand every now and then and the only question is will you be the guy who pays them off or not.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file