Desperate for as much poker information as I possibly can!

Lennon GLennon G Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
Hey guys, I’m a new forum member. My name’s Lennon and I’m from Nottingham in the UK. Anyway, I’m a poker dealer and I have been for a few months now. Prior to this, I only knew the hands, but since I’ve started dealing, I know pretty much everything there is to know terminology and rule-wise (as you would expect an individual in my position to).

Recently, the extent of strategy has really interested me and I just want to learn more and more about poker and start playing myself. I understand a lot of concepts, like open-ranges, call-ranges etcetcetc, but since I’ve never played myself, I can’t actually apply anything I know, because I don’t *know* anything other than the definitions of concepts, if that makes sense.

I’ve started reading around, watching splitsuit’s videos, and everything he says and everything I read makes perfect sense to me, but since I haven’t played before, I lack the basic foundation which I suppose a lot of people on here would take for granted!

Basically, I want to know where you’d start if you were in my shoes. I have as much time as I could want and I have nothing but passion and determination to learn as much as I can.

Thank you in advance, and if you have any questions about me that would be of any help then feel free to ask!

Comments

• tfaziotfazio Red Chipper Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps try the crash course offered here. A selection of videos tailored to get you up and running. Try to keep it simple and not ingest too much. Welcome and good luck.
  • Lennon GLennon G Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
    At the moment, my bankroll can't support paid-poker training, although that option would definitely be something I look at in more detail soon! I'm wondering if there are any strategy points that I can read over - I know that blackjack is an awful, awful comparison to poker, but I'm wondering if there's any sort of concrete, basic-strategy-esque hand range-type things I could be looking at to give me a foundation, and then I can look at my bet sizing, my handreading skills and all the other things I'll need to get me to be a better poker player.
  • MidnightFoxMidnightFox Red Chipper Posts: 321 ✭✭✭
    Get The Course, the book, by Ed Miller. And when you can, watch the accompanying video series.
    Then read Poker’s 1% by Ed Miller, then Small Stakes No Limit by the Miller/Mehta/Flynn, then Sweeney’s workbook on live play.

Get the mobile app, TakeEv, and when you can get Flopzilla for computer, and sometime later you can get Flop Falcon.

Once Ed’s website www.notedpokerauthority.com is back up you should read the PDF, “Stages of a TAG”.

Don’t play or study blackjack.
    :Jd:TC:
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds to me like you need to play a little bit. If you can play on line...play some micro stakes games. Get a little experience from that side of the table...then a lot of the material you have already seen will begin to fall into place.

Read hands on the forum, use them like a test, how would you have played and why, that type of thing. You don't have to post your answers, but you have to think them out. See if you get it right compared to what others have said, (they might not be right but at least it will get you seeing things you may have missed.)

And if you start playing live, it will be tempting to over tip the dealers being one (they all do when they play)....it hard enough to beat the rake and reasonable tips....don't tip away all your profits (unless of course they return it when they play at your tables).
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Lennon G wrote: »
    but since I’ve never played myself, I can’t actually apply anything I know, because I don’t *know* anything other than the definitions of concepts, if that makes sense.
    You really gotta start playing !
    Poker is like music. You can learn solfège, but if you never practice, as good as you can understand the theory you still won't be a musician. :)

Note: If you have a 0£ budget, I'd advise you the youtube channel ThePokerBank (https://www.youtube.com/user/thepokerbank/playlists). Splitsuit is its manager, and the playlist "2014 Poker Videos" is a very good start.
    More about that, go for all info from this podcast: https://redchippoker.com/learn-poker-free-budget-podcast/
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just read every thread you can on this site. Tons of info and more up to date than almost any book.

For me personally i watch latb and read as much as possible on here. Post hands i have questions about or even hands i don't have questions about but i think would help the community here.
  • MidnightFoxMidnightFox Red Chipper Posts: 321 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Austin wrote: »
    Just read every thread you can on this site. Tons of info and more up to date than almost any book.

For me personally i watch latb and read as much as possible on here. Post hands i have questions about or even hands i don't have questions about but i think would help the community here.
    Wish I could watch LAtB with sound but without the commentary.
  • Brad CBrad C Red Chipper Posts: 181 ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    One thing I'm doing is playing online (I'm starting at 2NL) - it's helpful because I deposited $100 and now have a bankroll of 50 BI. So, for the price of one buy-in live at 1-2, I have 100 BI and am essentially good forever.

Cheapest way to learn and you can get perfectly accurate hand histories as well as very accurate analytics about your play. That's the appeal for me because my goal is to get good at the game of poker, I don't really care about the money... I'm just competitive as fuck so i want to learn to win.

I don't know if this is the "right" way to do it but I'm basically trying to use my first 10-15k hands without adjusting my play too much - I want to get a baseline for what my play is like right now, as is, so I can figure out where to start.

Anyway, I'm basically covered with poker for at least the next year and it cost me a grand total of ~200 dollars. I can become better at the game than I ever would live, play more hands than I ever would live and have a more accurate understanding of specifically where I'm making mistakes than I ever would live... and it is costing me the price of a single buy-in

Anyway, just something to consider if your real goal is just to learn and get better. This approach is def. the most economical of any approach I've seen and although i'm new to this, it also seems the most effective for getting good due to the sheer # of hands you're able to play
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Austin wrote: »

Wish I could watch LAtB with sound but without the commentary.

Check out some of the recent training videos they produce at the 5\5 level. Latb is meant to be entertainment and educational, entertainment being the first word. However, still a lot of knowledge being dropped. I know my winrate has improved quite a bit from watching mostly their high stake games and seeing the ranges the pros are using. Some of the low stakes are whatever videos but still some knowledge to be learned.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file