how do i calculate whether I should call or Fold in this situation

Cal JCal J Red Chipper Posts: 5 ✭✭
Hope I am doing this correct. My goal is to better understand a thought process in certain situations that dictates the best move to make. Here are the details

Playing PokerStars NL Turbo 6 players max.
Blinds are 25/50 with 4 players left
Villian: 1110 stack
Hero: 1575 stack

No preflop raise.
Hero is under the gun and just calls. Button folds and SB and BB check

Hero: Ah 3H

Flop
4H Qs Ac

SB checks, BB bets 50 hero calls, SB then folds

Turn
Qc

Villian checks, hero bets 150, Villian Calls

River...
8h

Villian Checks, Hero bets 400 and Villian all in for 860

Pot is now 1810. I need to call 460.

I did have the feeling he had a Q. But whether he did or did not have the queen should I call since I am getting close to 4:1 on my money? Am in on the right path of thinking?
My Question is Do I call the river bet but more importantly how do i calculate whether I should call or Fold in this situation.

Ed

Best Answer

Answers

• Zero CoolZero Cool Red Chipper Posts: 272 ✭✭✭
    Equilab. Plug in your hand and the hands you think villain would play this way with and compare your equity to the pot odds.

A better question you should be asking is when you bet this river what worse hands are you hoping to get called by?
  • Cal JCal J Red Chipper Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Thanks I did put that in Equilab. Villain end up having QTo. I put him on either A7-A2 and Q9-Q2. Putting that in EQ lab put hero at 22% before the river. 25% on the river.

I do believe the right move on the river was to check instead of betting. When you say worse hands that would call. I do hear that from my poker peers but I am not sure I fully understand. But with this hand I think it paints a better picture. Please let me know if this is what you mean or if i am totally off.

If I am going to make this bet, what worse hands would call? Since I am not beating any hands at this point I can only beat a bluff. Ax would be a chop. A9+ he wins and any Q he wins, I disregard the full houses since I didnt think he had a set. With that being said, checking would be the best move.

Worse hands that would call would be A8-A2 and that would be for a chop.
    Wow thanks Zero for the insight. That helped greatly.

Worse hands... that much more clearer now, tku for that.

Will look at Equilab again. I put him on that range based on his playing style. He played a good amount of hands so those hands like QT or A9 or better I felt he would have raised from the BB. Still working on my hand range skills. The way you broke it down gives me a better understanding of what I should be looking for. This part of my game is what I am gearing towards in getting better so again tku for the insight, that helped alot.
  • ChipFluxChipFlux Red Chipper Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Why are we flatting A3s UTG (which is actually the CO 4 handed) 22 BB effective deep? What are our reads or thought process for limping this hand?
    thanks Chip and Oct. I agree and should not have flatted. I did not put villian on a Queen but a weak ace since he checked the turn. This hand played out should have been a check on the river as well since I knew at that point i was probably beat.
  • Danny MDanny M Red Chipper Posts: 353 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I think what you should have been considering in addition to what your opponent has is what you have and the relative spr you are creating by barreling the turn. You have a single pair and are chopping with almost every A that would not raise PF ott. Once you check the turn you can bet the river when checked to and maybe get calls from an 8 or 9 and fold to a raise. As played sometimes you just have to fold on the river when you know you're beat. Why burn money cuz pot odds? I think pot odds in crappy spots are more important for example preflop where you get into a pf betting war and it's 400 more to win 2600 and you have T7s with 5 cards to go. Not on the river where you're burning money.
  • star681star681 Red Chipper Posts: 399 ✭✭
    there is a a saying 'if u play 2p aggressivly and get raised u should mostly fold. it also applies to one pair.
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭✭
    star681 wrote: »
    there is a a saying 'if u play 2p aggressivly and get raised u should mostly fold. it also applies to one pair.

This is bad advice.
    i dont think they catch on at those stakes
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't read the OP, but i think those kind of saying are just letting you put your brain into a bocal and click buttons.
    ..and 80% of the time , whats wrong with that? getting bluffed a few times and coming out ahead in the long. btw what is "bocal"? ur typing like me now

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file