Exposed Card Affects A Pocket Pair

Pete GPete G Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
Happened to the player on my right. The dealer accidentally flipped a 7 to to the button. Naturally, he had to bury it. The pot was raised to $12, and the player folded saying "that kills my chances".
Could we still play the pair knowing the set odds have just dropped drastically, or was the fold the right move?

Comments

• ChipFluxChipFlux Red Chipper Posts: 38 ✭✭
    I pitch the 77 in that spot in a raised pot knowing I could already be behind, will hate a lot of flops, and know I am drawing to one set out. But I don’t talk about it, for both etiquette and revealing information about myself reasons.
  • SliverOverlordSliverOverlord Red Chipper Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    You can still set mine if the price is right, but since the chances of hitting got halved, then your potential implied odds should double. I’d say fold unless you have at least 1 big stack with 150+ bb and the audacity to rip it with top pair
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2
    It's not unlike any other situation. The odds have changed, but everything else remains the same. How much money in the pot and how much to call? How likely I get paid off and how much? Chance I can win at showdown unimproved? Chance I can win the pot if everyone folds?
  • Joseph FJoseph F Red Chipper Posts: 593 ✭✭
    Are players allowed to state what they folded during hands? They do it all the time online and it just seems totally inappropriate.
  • Danny MDanny M Red Chipper Posts: 160 ✭✭
    You would have to be getting sick sick odds. Like 19 to 1 to justify a call to setmine as 1 out on the flop is something like 6% unless you plan to turn your hand into a bluff and have a read your opponents fold way too often.
    Joseph F wrote: »
    Are players allowed to state what they folded during hands? They do it all the time online and it just seems totally inappropriate.

You need to report players to customer service. That is grounds from being banned.
    edited January 2
    Danny M wrote: »
    Joseph F wrote: »

You need to report players to customer service. That is grounds from being banned.

I guess a screenshot and email to customer support, followed by a phone call would suffice? If it happens again, perhaps I'll do that.

The anonymous tables on Ignition also attract a lot of collusion. There's regularly guys sitting next to each other and by the discussions they're having and the way they're playing, it's abundantly clear to me that they're working together. At a higher stakes game it would probably be obvious to the entire table.
    You would have to be getting sick sick odds. Like 18 to 1 to justify a call to setmine as 1 out on the flop is something like 6% down from 12ish or the usual 8 to 1 unless you plan to turn your hand into a bluff and have a read your opponents fold way too often.
    edited January 10
    In the end, I've never actually reported anyone for the behavior mentioned earlier in this thread. The guy's a total ATM @ 10NL and it would be the very definition of killing the Golden Goose if I was to report him. In truth, half the advice he tries to give people during hands just works out to my benefit. I've hit this guy for 125+ bb's twice with the wheel in just the last 48 hours. He'll fucking stack off with ANY flush draw.

edited January 10
    Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD & Database

NL Holdem $0.1(BB)
    Undefined ($6.27)
    UTG ($12.49)
    BB ($4)
    HERO ($11.81)
    SB ($10)
    BB ($20.36)

Dealt to Hero 4:diamond: A:diamond:

Undefined Folds, UTG Folds, HERO Raises To $0.35 (Rem. Stack: 11.46), SB Folds, BB Calls $0.25 (Rem. Stack: 20.01), BB Checks, BB Calls $0.25 (Rem. Stack: 3.65)

Flop ($1.10) 2:club: 5:spade: 3:spade:
    BB Checks, BB Bets $0.52 (Rem. Stack: 3.13), HERO Raises To $1.49 (Rem. Stack: 9.97), BB Calls $1.49 (Rem. Stack: 18.52), BB Folds

Turn ($4.60) 2:club: 5:spade: 3:spade: J:club:
    BB Checks, HERO Bets $9.97 (allin) (Rem. Stack: 0.00), BB Calls $9.97 (Rem. Stack: 8.55)

River ($24.54) 2:club: 5:spade: 3:spade: J:club: 5:heart:

BB shows 4:spade: 7:spade:

HERO wins $23.54

So, granted he was staring at the possibility of a straight flush on this one but he's stacked off with far less temptation. Still, he can't fold hands like this. Ever.
  • Ray KRay K Red Chipper Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Is this hand from the guy mentioned?
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Red Chipper Posts: 41 ✭✭
    You need to look at your outs left in these spots.
    You got 77 and a 7 is exposed. Now you have 1 out not 2.

11.8% / 2 = 5.8% = ~18:1 to break even = 20:1 to break even considering coolers. To make profit you need more.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file