3 betting with a small pocket pair in BB

Bryan CBryan C Red Chipper Posts: 7 ✭✭
Playing live $1/$2 game. I had pocket 6 in the big blind, and was thinking about 3 betting preflop, but wasn't sure that is the right line to take.

V1 = UTG+1 with about 125 BB. Hasn't played very many hands, and is still a bit of an unknown.
V2 = BTN with about 250 BB. LAG
Hero = SB with about 100 BB. Playing mostly TAG.

V1 opens UTG+1 to $15. Most opens at the table have been $10-$16. All action folds around to the BTN who calls. SB folds and its to hero who has pocket 6s. Does it ever make sense to put in a 3-bet here? I thought about making it $75 to attempt to isolate or just take the $30 in the pot. Is this over aggressive?

I don't think V2 has much he can call with, since he's playing most of his BTNs (and other hands) for calls. V1 could have AA or KK, but without that, I'm not sure he would call. Is that a good line to take?

Comments

• SneakySneaky Red Chipper Posts: 84 ✭✭
    I don't like playing small-medium pairs OOP in 3bet pot. What is the chance that the pot will go 3ways you think? If is pretty high- suited connector would be better candidate to 3bet IMO.
    If you go heads up vs UTG+1 -what is your plan going to the flop?
    You'll see overcards very often and hit a set 11% . I think you signing yourself for Double Barrel here post flop if you want to win this pot.
  • Fernando TFernando T Red Chipper Posts: 90 ✭✭
    By the flop your spr would be less than one, if you don’t get a set or steal the bets , would you shove or check x fold?
  • Yanming ZYanming Z Red Chipper Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't 3 bet as a bluff to a raise coming from UTG, especially when you don't have blockers to A or K, chances of the PFR folding is too low.
  • Danny MDanny M Red Chipper Posts: 353 ✭✭✭
    I think 3betting an unknown UTG +1 is a bit dicey. 3betting marginal hands from the blinds is most profitable against late position opens.
    Not so much UTG. What is the purpose of the 3bet for value, as a bluff, to thin the field? I dont think the LAG folds to 3b often enough and plus a LAG will not let you have a cheap showdown. At best you are flipping, and there will not be that many flops that you will like OOP. I would flat with the intention of continuing on certain board textures against 1 opponent.
  • Bryan CBryan C Red Chipper Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback.
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bryan C
    the thing is this:
    YOU make more money/profit when your OPPONENTS make more mistakes...

what does that mean?
    well, if your Vs are likely to fold to your 3-bet, then 3-betting with ant two is the right thing to do, (some players would prefer hands that have "blockers" like AX that blocks AA orKQ that blocks KK and QQ... but that'a another discussion)
    if your opponents arenot likely to fold to your 3-bet, then they''d be making a mistake if your hand (and range) dominates theirs.

here...66 doesn't really block anything... plus even if some player calls you with any two overcards (98, JT, K7, etc.) he's really not making a mistake because if you look at hot/cold equities, he's 50/50.

so for those two reasons and your terrible position... 66 isnt the most optimal hand to use as a 3-bet squeeze. you're probably not getting anyone to make a mistake, which in turn probably means that you are making a mistake,,, make sense?
  • eugeniusjreugeniusjr Red Chipper Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    I'd prefer Aces.
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eugeniusjr wrote: »
    I'd prefer Aces.

that's a good hand because it blocks AK, AQ and AJs!!!
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you take this deviation the primary reasons include the lack of stack depth and the lightness of the caller's open range (meaning IO go down later and FE goes up now). For instance, in tough games set mining is virtually useless but the utility of the three bet rises equivalently.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file