The Evolution of Poker

Robert MRobert M Red Chipper Posts: 22 ✭✭
As someone who is relatively new to studying poker, how much weight can I give to resources from a few years ago? In other words will a book or video that I find from a few years ago be obsolete by now and able to be easily exploited? I realize this is a very general question and answers may be very different within certain aspects of the game, but any advice on this is welcome! Thanks.

Comments

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good thinking never goes out of style. The more lost you are, the more recent the book you'll need as it will provide more for you and carry you. The better a thinker, it won't matter when it was published.

You're at Red Chip, get some Red Chip books, perhaps? These forums aren't on solar power.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Poker writing, like poker theory and strategy itself, has advanced. I find that many older books tend to be more ad hoc in nature, and you have to do a lot of reading between the lines and extrapolating from examples. Newer books have a tendency to lay out the fundamental concepts in a more coherent way. But certainly any poker theory that's well reviewed is useful regardless of age. Theory of Poker is 35 years old and still referenced.
  • MidnightFoxMidnightFox Red Chipper Posts: 321 ✭✭✭
    Get “The Course” by Ed Miller.
    :Jd:Tc
  • Brendan RBrendan R Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
    It really depends on the topic tbh. If it's a book on the basics like poker math it'll pretty much forever be relevant.

If it's a book on exploitative strategy tho, go with recent stuff. The exploits people were using years ago won't work today.

Also stay away from books written by the big time pros like Hellmuth, Negraneau et al. They are generally a waste of time

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file