JJ vs a tilted rec

Nathan SNathan S Red Chipper Posts: 255 ✭✭
1/2

This is my second hand, villain was caller both times. The first time I opened Q8s and flopped a FD and turned a pair of 8's and got him off the hand betting pot. He had me on aces for some reason, but basically this is just to illustrate that he may have had it out for me. He is a middle-aged white gentleman who seems to be in a bitter mood.

I am slightly fuzzy on absolute specifics but I believe he straddled and I opened JJ to 20 from EP against this player. I have 277 behind and he has maybe around 240.

He calls and we go two ways to the flop ($40) which is 989. I bet 25 and he re-raises to 75. He's only really representing a 9 here and honestly I figure he had it but I just can't be folding here all the time so I call.

The turn ($190) is probably one of the best cards I can ask for. It's a T bringing in another bdfd which doesn't really concern me because I pretty much have him on some obscure 9 combo. I check and he bets 125. I call.

I river a jack, and just jam the rest of my stack in and he calls it off, and then gets angry at my for calling his re-raise on the flop, etc. The gentleman next to him (who I was getting along with very well) later told me the story from his perspective finally mentioning that the gentleman had called my open with 92o. Interesting choice.

I feel like I should be folding the turn in general. Obviously a simple calculation (assuming he's holding a 9 for sure) says to fold, but considering this players absurdly wide range he could be doing this with A8, maybe K8, knowing that I'm probably not opening many 9's from EP (giving this guy a ton of credit obvs)

Thoughts on the spot?

Comments

• Nathan SNathan S Red Chipper Posts: 255 ✭✭
    edited January 9
    He raised the flop, not re**
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 888 ✭✭✭
    Nathan S wrote: »
    He calls and we go two ways to the flop ($40) which is 989. I bet 25 and he re-raises to 75. He's only really representing a 9 here and honestly I figure he had it but I just can't be folding here all the time so I call.
    If he is only representing a 9 - because he can't raise here with A8 or 67 or AXs (if 998 allows a FD) - then you have to fold!
    All the time. You've 2 outs, you're out of business.
    "You can't be folding here all the time" is a very wrong statement against a bad player.

Now Villain is tilted. It's hard for me/us to guess out of the blue how the tilt affects his play: does he overplay an underpair? overplay draws? want to push monster as much as possible to get his money back? You need to observe him to have an educated guess how he plays and how to manage him.

Finally, if you're against a good player who is balanced, I agree with you: you can't always fold. Now is JJ the best to keep in? If you've to fold some combos, then I'd rather fold JJ because it strongly blocks JT i.e. block one of the best semi-bluff.

• Zero CoolZero Cool Red Chipper Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    knowing that I'm probably not opening many 9's from EP (giving this guy a ton of credit obvs)

For this reason I would consider checking back this flop against better players as they can really put you in some difficult spots.
  • MidnightFoxMidnightFox Red Chipper Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    It’s stronger players that know how to fight back on boards like these. Even when tilted I wouldn’t try to get a recreational player to stack-off with me on this board. Would be better if it was a T99.
    Zero Cool wrote: »
    knowing that I'm probably not opening many 9's from EP (giving this guy a ton of credit obvs)

For this reason I would consider checking back this flop against better players as they can really put you in some difficult spots.
    Bet-call, bet-shove, and checkback are all good against good players.
    :Jd :Tc
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭✭
    I think im stacking off here as well without a read. Turn seems really strong, but given the player described and at 60bb effective i think hero should go with it. Multiway I am likely folding but not heads up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file