The last hour of a session...I don't play my best

MatthewMatthew Red Chipper Posts: 26 ✭✭
I play on somewhat of a schedule, so I normally have a pre determined end time for my sessions. If the game is great, I'll play past my end time, otherwise I'm out after 7 or 8 hours.

I've noticed that during my last hour I tend to loose my aggressiveness. This is particularly true the closer I get toward my last hand. If I'm sitting on an above average win, I'm even worse. I try and avoid playing big pots and have caught myself doing some pretty weak things. I'm way too experienced to be feeling/playing this way. I'm not thinking about results for 7 hours and am locked in on executing my strategy, so it's pretty disappointing to realize that I'm playing shitty for some portion of that last hour. My final orbit last night was actually pretty embarrassing. I failed to 3bet twice in automatic spots and also check called down with a monster draw against a weak player. Yuck.

Has anyone overcome this type of problem in their career? Any tips?

Comments

• Skors3Skors3 Red Chipper Posts: 664 ✭✭✭
    Simply, change your schedule. Get out after 6-7 hours instead of 7-8.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think most people have this problem when booking a monetary win. Do you know your hourly? Lets say your up $400 for the session after 8 hours, but your hourly is $20. Your actually up only $160. Even if you lose your stack on the last orbit think of it as booking a $160 win. Easier said then done, but hopefully this helps.
  • Cereal KillerCereal Killer Red Chipper Posts: 76 ✭✭
    I don't play on a schedule and have picked up and left after 1.5 hours if the game sucks, I'm tired, have a stomach ache, or whatever else. But only when I'm ahead. If I'm stuck, I'm way more likely to sit in a crappy game trying to grind my way back instead of cutting my losses and waiting for a better game. If I'm not playing my A game, can I win with B or C? Maybe, but I'm going to have to overcome the mistakes that I make when I'm playing sub-optimally. Run bad-play bad scenarios can take a long time to recover from and those situations are more likely to happen with B and C. Rejecting our emotional decisions in favor of rational ones is the obvious answer, but we need to be honest with ourselves too. If your brain says raise and your hand tosses in a call, maybe it's time to leave.
  • ChipFluxChipFlux Red Chipper Posts: 75 ✭✭
    You have a version of tilt, which is not uncommon to many poker players. Recommend you read or re-read Tommy Angelo's Elements of Poker. Element number 5 directly addresses your situation. Basically, you should continually monitor your mental state while playing. Once you notice that you are concerned with booking a win, or more correctly not giving any back, just get up and quit. As you get used to self monitoring your state, you can try to have your rational mind try to overcome your emotional mind by deciding to make the correct play vice choosing a lesser play to "preserve your stack or win".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file