KQo in EP: Open or Fold

Nathan SNathan S Red Chipper Posts: 273 ✭✭
edited January 16 in General Concepts
Noticed that KQo is a fold in a lot of range charts. I've always felt that this fold may be a bit nitty as we're behind AQ and AK but ahead of so many common K and Q combos. What do you do when dealt this hand in early position?

KQo in EP: Open or Fold

This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Open
    It actually depends on the table. If table is loose passive i would open. If table is aggro and 3 bets a lot i would fold.

Same can be said for A10 and AJ as well and other broadways.

AQ+ KQs+ 77+ would be a tight opening range from EP. As the positions get closer to the button you can start to add 1 hand in the lower ranking.

Utg AQ+ KQs+ 77+
    Utg1 AJs+ KQs+ 66+
    Utg2 A10s+ AJo+ KJs+ 55+

So on and so forth. Just a guideline you will find in a lot of charts. If your at a table where flop comes K96 and they are risking 25bb-50bb with KT or drawing with J10 why not get value from KQ?

In general 2\5 and below is passive enough where AJ and KQ can be profitable. Its not a sin to fold it though.
  • Danny MDanny M Red Chipper Posts: 353 ✭✭✭
    Open
    It's up to how confident you are with your post flop abilities and the table/game structure I.e. are there antes involved. Do you have the discipline to lay down top pair when behind and can you win pots often enough OOP when you don't hit a pair or better 65% of the time?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file