$.05 NLHE 6 Max/ Facing huge over bet while holding top set

DinnertimeDinnertime Red Chipper Posts: 33 ✭✭
edited May 5 in Online Poker Hands
Hero (UTG) ($7.81): :AD::AH: Raises to $.20
Folds around
Nitty Villain (Button) ($14.69): Calls

Pot ~ $.47
Flop: :JC::QH::AC:

Hero (UTG): I thought about leading out here but faced this player multiple times in the session where they just folded most of my c-bets so I checked looking to check raise.

Villain: Makes a very uncharacteristic overbet of $1.59

Hero: I first believed this to either be :KC::TC: or a complete airball bluff. I was really confused and shocked at this move and just called seeing how deep stacked we were.

Pot ~ $3.65
Turn: :JC::QH::AC::JD:

Hero: After seeing this card I knew I was going to take this one down almost everytime and checked hoping villain made another big bet.

Villain checks.

Pot ~ $3.65
River: :JC::QH::AC::JD::AS:

Hero: Bets $3.15

Villain Folds.

Would you have played this hand any different? After this hand I believe villain had nothing here.

Comments

• EurocratEurocrat Red Chipper Posts: 72 ✭✭
    What I'm curious about is your player assessment, because your label as nitty doesn't seem to match his line postflop. How do you come to the assessment that he is nitty? Is it based on PFR or VPIP?

On the flop you have a clear bet, and honestly "he folded the last couple of times" is a poor reason not to bet. You have good but vulnerable equity, and a lot of cards will kill your action. If he is indeed nitty, you can expect him to have a couple of AQ, AJ, QJ, KQ, maybe QQ, JJ, maybe QT, JT, some FD combos like Tc9c, 9c8c - all hands that will call you and that make a rather big part of his range if indeed he is tight. You will certainly fold out some of the pocket pairs but given these combos the possibility to bluff doesn't balance out the negative aspects of checking.

• BFSkinnerBFSkinner Red Chipper Posts: 86 ✭✭
    Are you consistently in the habit of checking back the second nuts when there are 10000000000 combos that will pay you off?
  • DinnertimeDinnertime Red Chipper Posts: 33 ✭✭
    BFSkinner wrote: »
    Are you consistently in the habit of checking back the second nuts when there are 10000000000 combos that will pay you off?

I guess in the moment I didn't want to lose him when every hand he would fold to a c-bet and wasn't thinking too logically.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file