Is this playing like a nit?

John ValentineJohn Valentine Red Chipper Posts: 92 ✭✭
While playing on Pokerstars last night, I was following the stratergy of only raising, not limping, whenever I entered a hand. 77+,A9s+,Broadway suited. I found myself playing for a half hour and more with no hand that allowed me to raise preflop. Wasn't I perceived as playing like a nit. What is the difference, if you play a limited range, and only raise when you do play. You will naturally play few hands, while waiting for something in your range to show.

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,627 -
    Could anyone at the table have reasonably concluded you were a nit rather than a TAG?
    Moderation In Moderation
  • John ValentineJohn Valentine Red Chipper Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Not sure. But I've always wondered how playing this style of poker forced you to play much like a nit, as you waited for your range of hands to show.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,627 -
    edited May 14
    Not sure. But I've always wondered how playing this style of poker forced you to play much like a nit, as you waited for your range of hands to show.

Couple of points. What you're doing is playing a tight opening range. Many nits also follow a tight opening range, but at least according to Miller's definition they also do a lot of preflop limping. See his discussion in "How To Read Hands..." if you have that text.

So again, with this definition, if you never limp and just open raise tight, you're technically "looking" more like a TAG than a nit to the half a person at the table who is paying attention.

Where's the problem?
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file