How does Flopzilla calculate Equity?

1AMPOKER_1AMPOKER_ Las VegasRed Chipper Posts: 26 ✭✭
I am taking SplitSuit's advice and am watching Poker Sessions on YouTube and trying to calculate EV. One part of that is figuring out the Equity in the EV equation. So, I have to have correct equities to plug into the formula. The hand in question is AK vs QQ. Because I know the specific hands, I use the rule of 4/2 (which may not apply here since there is no flop yet) and I get 6 outs (for AK) x4 which comes out to 24%. Flopzilla has the equity at 43.24%. This is all before the flop.
So, I know that I am wrong here. How do I get to 43% or is this one of those things where I have to keep working with Flopzilla every day and just try my best to memorize the equity of certain hands vs. hands/ranges? And if so, are there any shortcuts anyone can share to make this second-nature?

Best Answers

• NinjahNinjah Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    4/2 rule is a quick estimate for post flop equity only. Preflop equity would take into consideration the possible ways a hand can win counting all 5 cards post flop.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,489 -
    Accepted Answer
    1AMPOKER_ wrote: »
    I am taking SplitSuit's advice and am watching Poker Sessions on YouTube and trying to calculate EV. One part of that is figuring out the Equity in the EV equation. So, I have to have correct equities to plug into the formula. The hand in question is AK vs QQ. Because I know the specific hands, I use the rule of 4/2 (which may not apply here since there is no flop yet) and I get 6 outs (for AK) x4 which comes out to 24%. Flopzilla has the equity at 43.24%. This is all before the flop.
    So, I know that I am wrong here. How do I get to 43% or is this one of those things where I have to keep working with Flopzilla every day and just try my best to memorize the equity of certain hands vs. hands/ranges? And if so, are there any shortcuts anyone can share to make this second-nature?

There are a bunch of preflop hand vs hand equities you'll either learn through repetition or from using a resource like Doug's "Math Geeks" book.
    Moderation In Moderation

Answers

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file