1st hand posting - GLOBAL FR 10NL - trying to get more "sticky" but got lost

ted bted b Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited June 22 in Online Poker Hands
First time posting a hand, so please bear with me.

Global Poker FR 10NL
Early in session no real reads, but no one at the table so far looks as if they may be getting out of line.

Hero: UTG+1 (9.60) :Ac:Tc open 0.30
Villain: HJ (15.28) 3-bet to .78
Hero: call
Pot: 1.71

:8d:2c:Qs

Hero: (8.82) check
Villain: (14.50) .50
Hero: call
pot: 2.71

:8d:2c:Qs:3c

Hero: (8.32) check
Villian: (14) 1.35
Hero: calls (this where I got lost, even though it was a card I was looking for - learning that I need to be a bit more sticky in some spots, but didn't really have a plan here. Should I donk? Check raise? Pot odds weren't there for calling not sure I can get paid if the other club hits, but I couldn't fold and don't think I can make any bluffs that get him off any pairs)
Pot: 5.41

:8d:2c:Qs:3c:8H:

Hero(6.97) Check
Villain: (12.65) 2.50
Hero: slinks away with tail between legs.

Comments

• wescrowescro Red Chipper Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited June 22
    1. No need to apologize for your inexperience posting HHs. This one is smooth and well-posted.
    2. There were some things that I think you should re-evaluate even prior to your turn call, including both your calls Pre and on-the-flop. I think your call pre should have been either a fold, or a 4-bet (semi-bluff) with the intention of folding to a 5-bet. Mid/weak Aces don't play very well in a raised pot OOP and suited hands also don't realize their equity as well when we aren't the aggressor or IP. OTF I think you should have been a fold, as you don't really have any "clean" outs other than a flush/straight runner/runner.
    3. What do you mean by "getting sticky?" I know you probably mean floating more and not getting pushed out of pots. But you might need to think harder about picking better spots to execute this. In this hand, your "stickiness" doesn't make too much sense against V's range, as he has a ton of Qs, mid/large PPs, and even his bluffs are likely to be bigger Aces, meaning you're not even getting good enough odds to chase. Mid/weak Aces (even suited ones) aren't good spots to get sticky, as least not OOP against a player who 3-bet your EP raise.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭✭
    You don't need to be sticky if you're behind.

Esp. you should address your preflop play. If V has a "casual low stakes 3-bet range" or a 1.2%-3% 3bet range, your ATs plays pretty poorly. And even worst since Gero will be OOP.

Furthermore from UTG+1 (I assume full ring?), ATs is rather low in your distribution; so out of the hand you don't need to call with (because you won't defend your whole range), it's a hand to rather easily ditch.
    (Against such 3bet range, I'd strongly advise NOT to 4-bet for bluff. Reason is that V's 3bet range could be too strong and not having any / much of a gap between his 3bet range and his continuation range, making is a -EV bluff)

I could see Hero giving action ONLY if either V is super aggro or a maniac with a weak 3bet range (now ATs does well) or if you played deep aka 300bb or more (now you've ok odds to call.)
  • ted bted b Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
    wescro wrote: »
    1. No need to apologize for your inexperience posting HHs. This one is smooth and well-posted.
    2. There were some things that I think you should re-evaluate even prior to your turn call, including both your calls Pre and on-the-flop. I think your call pre should have been either a fold, or a 4-bet (semi-bluff) with the intention of folding to a 5-bet. Mid/weak Aces don't play very well in a raised pot OOP and suited hands also don't realize their equity as well when we aren't the aggressor or IP. OTF I think you should have been a fold, as you don't really have any "clean" outs other than a flush/straight runner/runner.
    3. What do you mean by "getting sticky?" I know you probably mean floating more and not getting pushed out of pots. But you might need to think harder about picking better spots to execute this. In this hand, your "stickiness" doesn't make too much sense against V's range, as he has a ton of Qs, mid/large PPs, and even his bluffs are likely to be bigger Aces, meaning you're not even getting good enough odds to chase. Mid/weak Aces (even suited ones) aren't good spots to get sticky, as least not OOP against a player who 3-bet your EP raise.

Thank you for your reply. I went into the game specifically looking to play nutted back door flush draws, and got a little over-excited when it came up. On the bright side, at least I recognized my mistake once I got there and didn't punt off a stupid bluff LOL!
  • ted bted b Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Red wrote: »
    You don't need to be sticky if you're behind.

Esp. you should address your preflop play. If V has a "casual low stakes 3-bet range" or a 1.2%-3% 3bet range, your ATs plays pretty poorly. And even worst since Gero will be OOP.

Furthermore from UTG+1 (I assume full ring?), ATs is rather low in your distribution; so out of the hand you don't need to call with (because you won't defend your whole range), it's a hand to rather easily ditch.
    (Against such 3bet range, I'd strongly advise NOT to 4-bet for bluff. Reason is that V's 3bet range could be too strong and not having any / much of a gap between his 3bet range and his continuation range, making is a -EV bluff)

I could see Hero giving action ONLY if either V is super aggro or a maniac with a weak 3bet range (now ATs does well) or if you played deep aka 300bb or more (now you've ok odds to call.)

Thank you for your reply Red! Like I mentioned to wescro, I came in looking for some specific scenarios, but this was a bad spot.

• RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23
    As played it's a losing spot. But doesn't mean you shouldn't study it.

Ask yourself (and reply here). If Villain 3bet with a tight range (QQ+,AKs):
    - what hands do you open pre?
    - what hands are you calling his 3bet with?
    - what hands do you give action (call or raise) with?

Now the same if Villain 3bets JJ+,AQs,AK,A4s-A5s?

Now the same if Villain 3bets 99+,AJ+,KQ,J9s,KJo,A2s-A5s?
  • ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 114 ✭✭
    edited June 23
    I think if one of your goals is to float more streets to see if you can increase or realize more equity take some time with flopzilla and look at your equity and what your opponents might be doing. This will help determine which boards and hands are good to float and which are not.

Personally I don't hate having A10s in your 3 bet defending range but this greatly depends on v. If you haven't seen them 3 bet I usually assign a tight range until I know more. If you do call, one club just isn't enough equity to continue against Vs range.

BTW, Donking or check raising become difficult in 3bet pots at 10nl. Most players keep going with their premium pp even when the board is bad. Your just not going to have enough fold equity for that to work usually. And this board is very good for v.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,654 -
    If you're regarding floating more as primarily a learning exercise, suggest you start in position.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file