Aces, the easiest hardest hand to play!

wittmaanwittmaan Red Chipper Posts: 7 ✭✭

Hi, im Camila, I am Brazilian (im trying to speak my best English) and I would like to share one of my hands, looking for some advices.

So, Im not sure how to post a hand, but let s try it!

I played this hand at 2NL. I know its difficult to make a read on those limits because players tend to be a little bit crazy, but...ok...

Pacific Poker - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: 100 BB
MP: 75.5 BB
Hero (CO): 486 BB
BTN: 144 BB
SB: 100 BB
BB: 40 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A:heart: A:club:

fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.5 BB, BTN calls 2.5 BB, fold, BB calls 1.5 BB

Flop: (8 BB, 3 players) 5:diamond: Q:club: 6:club:
BB checks, Hero bets 8 BB, BTN calls 8 BB, fold

Turn: (24 BB, 2 players) T:heart:
Hero bets 16.5 BB, BTN calls 16.5 BB

River: (57 BB, 2 players) J:heart:
Hero bets 28.5 BB, BTN raises to 117 BB and is all-in, fold

BTN wins 107 BB

The problem I had with this hand is,

On the flop and on the turn I was extracting value from some draws that villain could have. But on the river I didn't know anymore what to do.
I thought "Should I keep betting?", "Why am I gonna bet? For value? Im not so sure anymore. To bluff my aces? I don't think so." "should I check?"

I choose to bet half pot, for impulse just before the time is over.
Villain shoves and I decided to fold, because I felt I had no more strategy on this hand, and I thought would be better to let it go.

What would you do? Why?

Thanks!

Comments

• PapaGiorgioPapaGiorgio Red Chipper Posts: 91 ✭✭
    On river, if you check and villian bets pot, what will you do? If you will fold, then what are you hoping to accomplish with a bet?

I would have check-folded. I don't think 2NL players bluff enough on river, and I think most of the player pool will only bet two pair or better. I do think most players check behind with AQ/KQ, so this opinion guides my check-fold.
  • ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 114 ✭✭
    One of the challenges of AA and similar hands is that players forget to look at the board. You bet pot on the flop. This shows a lot of strength. When button calls they most likely have a strong hand or a very strong draw. Sets are also a possibility but they make up a smaller part of v's range. You also have the Ac which blocks some of the flush draws.

I think a smaller bet on the flop is better say 2/3 pot. This keeps hands your beating still in the hand. Any draw plus Qx will most likely call. On the turn no draws complete but Q10 did just improve but that's just one combo so shouldn't be a major concern. Your bet sizing on the turn is good. Some draws will still call and Qx. When v calls they have something they really like. On the river the J is a bad card for you. It completes a draw and some 2 pair combos. At this point a check call seems to me the best option based on v action. If v bets pot or shoves that's a tough call but generally a fold at 2nl. Any bet below that is a crying call. You're most likely beat but you still have enough equity to call.

Your small bet on the river is not bad. You did the right thing in folding. Because v would have to be bluffing a good amount to make that call and 2nl players don't.

• wittmaanwittmaan Red Chipper Posts: 7 ✭✭
    On river, if you check and villian bets pot, what will you do? If you will fold, then what are you hoping to accomplish with a bet?

I would have check-folded. I don't think 2NL players bluff enough on river, and I think most of the player pool will only bet two pair or better. I do think most players check behind with AQ/KQ, so this opinion guides my check-fold.

"If you will fold, then what are you hoping to accomplish with a bet?"

I will keep in mind! Thanks!

• wittmaanwittmaan Red Chipper Posts: 7 ✭✭
    ulysses27 wrote: »
    One of the challenges of AA and similar hands is that players forget to look at the board. You bet pot on the flop. This shows a lot of strength. When button calls they most likely have a strong hand or a very strong draw. Sets are also a possibility but they make up a smaller part of v's range. You also have the Ac which blocks some of the flush draws.

I think a smaller bet on the flop is better say 2/3 pot. This keeps hands your beating still in the hand. Any draw plus Qx will most likely call. On the turn no draws complete but Q10 did just improve but that's just one combo so shouldn't be a major concern. Your bet sizing on the turn is good. Some draws will still call and Qx. When v calls they have something they really like. On the river the J is a bad card for you. It completes a draw and some 2 pair combos. At this point a check call seems to me the best option based on v action. If v bets pot or shoves that's a tough call but generally a fold at 2nl. Any bet below that is a crying call. You're most likely beat but you still have enough equity to call.

Your small bet on the river is not bad. You did the right thing in folding. Because v would have to be bluffing a good amount to make that call and 2nl players don't.

You're right, bet POT on the flop was too much. But I was interested in put money in the pot, and I knew if villain had Qx or a draw he would pay POT for it, his stats was something about VP30/PFR14, he was trying to hit something.

Thank you, you have helped to make it more clear for me!

• JoeOffsuitJoeOffsuit Red Chipper Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
    Against an unknown player, usually an SPR of 4 (on the flop) is the difference between when and when not we are willing to get it all-in with an overpair. Between you and BTN, your effective SPR on the flop is close to 18. This means when planning how to play this hand, you probably wan't to avoid trying to get it in. This is another good reason to consider betting smaller on the flop here.

The turn puts a 2nd broadway on the board which makes for a good reason to bet. But holding the nut flush blocker means we can also check/call here, with plans to check/jam the river if the 3rd club does hit (which will put a LOT of pressure on any other flush) or check/call again on the river with aces as a bluff-catcher if the flush doesn't hit.

Then with the river putting a 3rd broadway on the board, Aces is now only a bluff catcher, but much too strong to bet with, as there are very few weaker hands that can call here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file