What is the best way to play this hand? Set vs straight

caroriquelmecaroriquelme Red Chipper Posts: 7 ✭✭
Hi everyone! This is the first hand that I post here.
I hope you can understand, because english is not my first language.
I will be very thankful if you tell me if something is wrong or I need to change it.
Maybe some ranges, or bad calculations. I would love if you tell me.

PokerStars - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB (SB): 123 BB
BB (BB): 142.5 BB
UTG (UTG): 100 BB
CO (CO): 61.5 BB
Hero (BTN): 107 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Dealt to Hero: :6c:6h

UTG raises to 3 BB, CO calls 3 BB, Hero calls 3 BB, fold, fold

Flop (10.5 BB, 3 players): :4s:7s:5h

UTG bets 3 BB, fold, Hero calls 3 BB

Turn (16.5 BB, 2 players): :6s

UTG checks, Hero bets 10.5 BB, UTG calls 10.5 BB

River (37.5 BB, 2 players): :Qc

UTG checks, Hero bets 18 BB, UTG calls 18 BB

Hero shows: :6h:6c

(Three of a Kind, Sixes)
(Pre 19%, Flop 23%, Turn 23%)

UTG shows: :8s:8c

(Straight, Eight High)
(Pre 81%, Flop 77%, Turn 77%)

UTG wins 71 BB

Preflop

Villain is in UTG, I just have 17 hands of him. Stats 25/19. Is was the first time he open raises in that position. I gave him this range preflop:

8w82haur4p8h.png

I gave him about 11% of open raise range, and I have 42% equity versus this range.
Hi Open raises to 3BB, CO calls and I decided to call. I think is a good hand to call preflop against this position as a default. If I don’t hit my hand OTF, I would fold facing agression.
Pot odds: 0.21: 0.06 -> 3.5:1
Equity: 0.06/(0.21+0.06) = 22% and I have 42%
So, I called

On the flop

Villain range with his bet:

1yn5up3wa4ea.png

Villain cbet 18% of the pot
Pot odds: 0.29:0.06 -> 4.8:1
Equity: 0.06/(0.29+0.06) = 17% and I have 37%, so I called.
I thinks villain will cbet here with Set (55,77), over pair (AA-22), FD, GSTD (88)
I have OESD + 2nd pair.

Expected Value:
Villain will fold 55% of the times
EV: 0.55 (0.21) + 0.45(0.37 * 0.27) – 0.45(0.63*0.06) = 0.115 + 0.044 – 0.017 = + 0.142 EV

What would happend if I raise here?
Raise size of 0.18, I change this range a little, thinking in what hands will call facing my raise, and I found that just a few hands are out, some overpairs that doesn’t connect with this board.
So, I gave him 39% of continuation range, and 61% fold. My equity is 37%.
EV: 0.61(0.27) + 0.39(0.37*0.63) – 0.39(0.63*0.18) = 0.164 + 0.091 – 0.044 = + 0.211
So, it seems like a raise would be the better action here.

On the Turn

The 6s came and the board now is 4-straight + FD, and I hit a set. He checks and I bet, he calls.
This is the range I gave him:

nvnton5kk9gu.png

I don’t think this is a value bet, will he really call my raise by worse?
He has a 54.5% of folding, so:
BE%: 0.21/(0.21+0.33) = 39% Fold equity, so in this case, this bet is good as a bluff ??

On the River

The Qc came and changes nothing. I don’t think some Qx wil be this far.
Hi checked, and I bet. I really think this is a bad bet, because if he calls me OTT, is more likely that his hand is better than mine

6iv9ubsyfnp2.png

Pot odds: 1.11:0.36 = 3.1:1
Equity: 0.36/(1.11+0.36) = 24% equity and I have 18%, so it is a bad bet.

So, in this hand i would change some things:
OTF I would raise facing his small cbet
OTT I would play the same (but maybe I wouldn’t be here if I raise OTF)
OTR I wouldn’t bet OTR, I just check.

Comments

• JoeOffsuitJoeOffsuit Red Chipper Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
    Being on the button, I would be more likely to just flat the bet on the flop, but raising as a semi-bluff is not a bad play either.

I am not sure I like the turn card.
    Sure we make a set with it, BUT it puts BOTH an "open ended" 4-straight on the board, AND puts a 3-flush on the board!
    If we bet and get raised here, I think we would be hoping and praying to make a boat on the river.
    I think you could also consider checking back the turn, with intent of bluff catching on the river if you don't make a boat, but willing to make him pay if you do, as there would be a lot of weaker hands he would call you with if you did boat up.

And yes, definitely check back the river here. Your hand is very medium strength now!
  • caroriquelmecaroriquelme Red Chipper Posts: 7 ✭✭
    JoeOffsuit wrote: »
    Being on the button, I would be more likely to just flat the bet on the flop, but raising as a semi-bluff is not a bad play either.

I am not sure I like the turn card.
    Sure we make a set with it, BUT it puts BOTH an "open ended" 4-straight on the board, AND puts a 3-flush on the board!
    If we bet and get raised here, I think we would be hoping and praying to make a boat on the river.
    I think you could also consider checking back the turn, with intent of bluff catching on the river if you don't make a boat, but willing to make him pay if you do, as there would be a lot of weaker hands he would call you with if you did boat up.

And yes, definitely check back the river here. Your hand is very medium strength now!

Thanks! I get your point.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭✭
    Villain is in UTG, I just have 17 hands of him. Stats 25/19. Is was the first time he open raises in that position. I gave him this range preflop:
    I gave him about 11% of open raise range, and I have 42% equity versus this range.
    I think it's a too narrow of a range. Sure you may think he is on the tight side, yet only have 17 hands. He played UTG 3 or 4 times only. You can't really get much info of any stats at this point.

Furthermore - and it's the biggest issue here: he is NOT UTG. Sure, he is the first to act, but it's a 6-max game. This means that UTG is effectively MP.
    Giving him a tight "normal" UTG range (aka for a full ring aka 9-player game) will make you putting him on a much narrower range as he is actually opening (and MP range.

Hence 11% is IMHO way too tight, and I'd go for 15 to 20% open range.

Also note that knowing your raw equity preflop doesn't give much information as the hand won't be check through after that. Also you can over or under realize your equity depending on different factors. The only moment where preflop raw equity is important is in all-in situation.
    On the flop

Villain doesn't c-bet 18% of the pot... Pot is 10.5 BB, Villain c-bet 3BB, so the c-bet is 3bb/10.5bb or 28.6% PSB.

18% are your pot odds, which you calculated right (but named it wrongly "equity")
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭✭
    A few quick thoughts

66 can be folded preflop in a high rake environment and vs 3x open

I know your sample size is small but 25/19 is looking reggy in which case you should be thinking his UTG open range is ~17% of hands which should really increase his flush combos

I also think your assumptions about UTGs betting range is way off.

If you own flopzilla I think you can DL the newer/better flopzilla pro. Then you can put both players ranges in at the same time and have a look at all kinds of stuff
    Red wrote: »
    I think it's a too narrow of a range. Sure you may think he is on the tight side, yet only have 17 hands. He played UTG 3 or 4 times only. You can't really get much info of any stats at this point.

Furthermore - and it's the biggest issue here: he is NOT UTG. Sure, he is the first to act, but it's a 6-max game. This means that UTG is effectively MP.
    Giving him a tight "normal" UTG range (aka for a full ring aka 9-player game) will make you putting him on a much narrower range as he is actually opening (and MP range.

Hence 11% is IMHO way too tight, and I'd go for 15 to 20% open range.

Also note that knowing your raw equity preflop doesn't give much information as the hand won't be check through after that. Also you can over or under realize your equity depending on different factors. The only moment where preflop raw equity is important is in all-in situation.
    On the flop

Villain doesn't c-bet 18% of the pot... Pot is 10.5 BB, Villain c-bet 3BB, so the c-bet is 3bb/10.5bb or 28.6% PSB.

18% are your pot odds, which you calculated right (but named it wrongly "equity")

Thanks!
    I did miss calculate the pot percentage. And the Equity in the end, I just convert the ratio to percentage (just to get used to it).
    I understand what you said. Thank you!
    kenaces wrote: »
    A few quick thoughts

66 can be folded preflop in a high rake environment and vs 3x open

I know your sample size is small but 25/19 is looking reggy in which case you should be thinking his UTG open range is ~17% of hands which should really increase his flush combos

I also think your assumptions about UTGs betting range is way off.

If you own flopzilla I think you can DL the newer/better flopzilla pro. Then you can put both players ranges in at the same time and have a look at all kinds of stuff

I did not know about this version, I will download it. Thank you!
    And thanks for the comment!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file