Am I a NIT?

kytmagickytmagic Red Chipper Posts: 184 ✭✭
edited December 2015 in General Concepts
I know Soto is going to say so. He already has on Twitter.

I've been playing live 1/2 poker using an opening range close to the one Ed Miller recommends in The Course, but frequently, when I finally raise, people will openly comment about me rarely raising. However, people will often still call.

For example, one of my hands from my last seesion, I have AJo in the cutoff. 2 limpers. I make it 15, one of them sticks around. Qxx board. He checks, I c-bet. I take it down.

Comments

• Christian SotoChristian Soto RCP Coach Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭
    If they are openly saying you are a nitty - then you are nitty.
    Doesn't mean you have to change your nitty ways if it's working for you in those games.
  • Riverboat BillRiverboat Bill Red Chipper Posts: 454 ✭✭
    NITs win money. TAGs win money. LAGs win money.

Talking to myself. I think it's what style feels comfortable for me. I get called a NIT. I bet crap and take down pots. I think I can win more if I play a looser style, but it takes practice. I am taking down a lot of pots betting or raising, mostly. I am 3 betting with hands and air. Then I am running into some reraises or calls. I am trying to learn how to handle these situations. I triple barreled a player and he called the river. Pot size bet each street and his pair of sevens took down the pot. That eats up a lot of little pots and gets into my stack.

I start with certain hands, say Sklansky 1-5. 1,2 in early position all the way to 5 from the CO. Instead of just flatting, I have started raising which I would late anyway. I am now 3 betting hands I used to flat. If I don't want to raise, I just let the hand go more often. I'm playing the same hands, but now I am trying to be more aggressive. These are also hands that I am used to playing. Again, my problem is when people play back. Players will tighten up and I have to watch out better. Don't pay off.
  • eevee23eevee23 Red Chipper Posts: 42 ✭✭
    If they are openly saying you are a nitty - then you are nitty.
    Doesn't mean you have to change your nitty ways if it's working for you in those games.

Would you describe nitty as a relative term?

The Course recommends about 33% of hands from the button, 22% from the cutoff, and 14% from elsewhere. This doesn't seem nitty to me, although I can certainly remember some tables where anything below 50% VPIP would get funny looks.
  • dirty moosedirty moose Red Chipper Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    Don't get caught up in generic terms or stereo types.
    kytmagic wrote:

For example, one of my hands from my last seesion, I have AJo in the cutoff. 2 limpers. I make it 15, one of them sticks around. Qxx board. He checks, I c-bet. I take it down.

If you did this and took it down once ever dealer swing or even once every hour, that would add up quickly! At that rate you can call me a nit,nat,lag or a douche bag! lol. That's like stealing money right there.

What I mean is if you're a "nit" and it work for you, then keep calm and nit on!

Moose
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,270 -
    kytmagic wrote:

I've been playing live 1/2 poker using an opening range close to the one Ed Miller recommends in The Course, but frequently, when I finally raise, people will openly comment about me rarely raising. However, people will often still call.

It must be a wonderful game.

Ed's opening range at 100BB 1/2 is anything but nitty.

More to the point, if people view your open-raise % as nitty it implies they are playing way too loose. In such games, nits/TAGS do very well.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • JCWJCW Red Chipper Posts: 93 ✭✭
    When I first heard the term Nit it was to mean scared money. People that are afraid to play big pots without the nuts. People that make silly laydowns because of the size of a bet.

Now people use Nit to just mean tight.
  • DeadEdDeadEd Red Chipper Posts: 5
    Take a note on those who openly comment on you being nitty. Add in one extra raise here and there on them; either on their blinds or 3betting them if they act before you followed by c-bet. They have openly declared that you are not messing around so perfect targets on whom to mixed things up and get a touch more aggressive on, dontcha think?
  • Ranceg29Ranceg29 Red Chipper Posts: 145 ✭✭
    They are calling you a nit because you're not limping 75-85% of hands like they are. I fall into the same category. Im raising probably a wider range than anyone would raise preflop at the table (1-2 games mostly) but since im not throwing in $2 from ep with A8o and 96s every other hand I have a NIT image. Use it to your advantage ;)
  • kytmagickytmagic Red Chipper Posts: 184 ✭✭
    Thanks for the discussion guys. At the end of the day, I don't think it matters as long as people are not adjusting. If they call me a nit, but still call me with a weak preflop range, then there's nothing I really need to do.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play at one little honey hole (not Holdem) where I started playing tight. Then I started playing a little looser. But I finally realized they were always going to call me, no matter what. So I got real tight, to the point where the table literally made air raid noises when I opened a pot. Seriously. But as they all laughed and made siren noises, they also called. They just keep calling me. They seem to think it's worth their money to see if they can outdraw me. One pro in the game said "they shouldn't give you as much action as they do, but they do." A few months later, he also started tightening up his game.

When I first started playing Holdem, I played really tight. I thought I'd be playing my cards face up. But again, they called. There was a raise and I reraised. One player actually said "I know you have aces, but I wanna bust you." That was after putting in 20% of his stack with 64s, or whatever. Fine by me.

But there are other games where I take that image among the players who are common, and bluff in ridiculously profitable ways. Or get ridiculous check-downs from monster hands.

Moral of story: adapt to the game, don't worry about adapting your label.
  • Steve007Steve007 Red Chipper Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    kytmagic wrote:

You don't tell us enough about the way you play. Maybe other parts of your game are more nitty, or maybe not. For example, how do you play in late position after other players have limped in? What about postflop play in other spots? I think even a good LAG player will occasionally look nitty a lot of 1-2 NL players.

When people say I'm nitty, it tends to be in situations when I've been card dead for maybe an hour. But if I'm getting involved in hands then I'm making a lot of big raises and following with aggression postflop, and that does tend to get a lot of attention, make it look like I'm being annoying and looks like I'm pushing people around (things that nits don't do), and as a result I think it makes me look a lot less nitty.
    Even in forums with people discussing hands you'll see newer posters post hands like "Villain raises and I know he is really strong but I can call because if I hit my speculative hand I can bust him because he can't get off of AA. He won't know where I'm at and I'm awesome at poker so I will outplay villain after the flop. By outplay villain after the flop I mean that I hope I'll make a big hand, then I'll hope to get paid off. That probably means I'll slowplay until the turn or river and hope you put the money in. Oh yeah, and I have implied odds even though I have no clue what my chances are of hitting two pair or better and I have no clue what the implied odds are."

And these are people who bother posting on forums. Think of all the people who don't and it's easy to realize that of course many of those players will make the same mistake.
  • ArtArtBobartArtArtBobart Red Chipper Posts: 356 ✭✭
    Hopefully you aren't limping at all. If you limp a lot, your raises might be seen as nitty.
    If people commenting about you being nitty bothers you, then I'm sure you are too nitty.

If raising feels uncomfortable to you because you're so used to folding and limping, then I'm sure you are too nitty. In other words if you rarely raise, and then feel uncomfortable when you raise because you only raise with monsters, you're definitely nitty.

If raising feels uncomfortable for you because you feel like people are going to be shocked when you raise (because you're folding so often and maybe also because you're quiet and fit the image of a nit), then you're nitty.

I know what's it's like to be a nit because I have experience being a nit. In fact I still have some nitty tendencies today.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file