Tournament hand Pocket 8's

BenLeewoodBenLeewood Red Chipper Posts: 285 ✭✭
edited March 2016 in Live Poker Hands
33 players left in a 90 person tournament. (Top 10 Places pay)

Blinds are 1,600-800 ante 100
Hero has 13000.

I just sat down to my new table. I've never played with anyone at the table so I have NO info on these guys. There's 2 monster stacks and some medium stacks. After 2 rotations, there was not one hand shown down. So not much info

My stack isn't terrible by any means. But it's time to find a hand and put the full stack to use so I can play these big boys at the table.

EP monster stack #1 limps for 1,600. He's been playing conservatively for the most part but has used his stack to bully a couple blinds occasionally.

MP the 2nd monster stack limps for 1,600. This player is more erratic and seems inexperienced/bad. I'm not sure how he amassed such a big stack. But I got the impression that he's just as surprised that he has "all these chips" then the rest of the table is.

Hero (13,000) Limps along holding :8s:8c

I know......some of you are screaming ..........Raise!!!!! Hear me out on this.

I'm fairly confident that the Button and SB will fold. They're super tight. BB has ~10,000 and looked really pained to put all that money out in the blind. He will check unless he wakes up with a hand. I'm fairly sure a limp will ensure seeing a flop. In my mind, this hand will be cheap flop with lots of promise. Plus it's an easy hand to get away from.

13,000 isn't a stack with much maneuverability. It's all in or limp in my mind. So I limp for 1,600 and put my speculative cap on.

Button Folds. SB completes. BB checks.

5 players to the flop. (8,800 in pot)
:3h:6c:7d

SB (13,000) leads out for 5,200. Everyone folds to hero.

Well.....that was fast!!!! Other then hitting a set, this is a great flop for me. Plus it hits his range too. I put him on a pair. He would haved checked 2 pair. I'm aware that he could have any 2 cards in the SB but I think I'm good here.

Hero ships 13,000

SB tanks. so now I'm begging for a call. He looks as if he's a dear in headlights. He must not have realized that his lead out bet meant this was "THE HAND" he was going with for his tournament life. And he looked sick about it. Perfect!!!

After much deliberation, he says he's "ready to go home and go to bed".

Then "Well.........this is the worst call in the world BUT.............I call".

He tables :Qs:3d vs my :8s:8c

:3h:6c:7d

The feedback I'm looking for from the forum is how we got to this point. I set the strategy up with my limp to spring a trap just like this. And it worked. My only other move was a 13,000 shove preflop which would have won me the 8,800 in most likelyhood. But now I'm looking at a monster pot and I'm crushing him.

I consciously took what some would call a weaker line....... In hopes of flopping a monster and stacking up. Now I'm a big favorite with a chance to win a tournament changing pot.

So the question is, did I misplay this hand?

Comments

• dirty moosedirty moose Red Chipper Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    Your stack actually has zero maneuverability. It should be ship or fold.

Taking down 8800 preflop, you would have added over 50% of your stack. At this point that's amazing for your tournament life. You're way off the money. You need to survive not try and trap.

I think you're being results oriented in this spot. You got pretty lucky not to see an over card. And what if you did see an overcard? Or a random 2 pair.

All that can be avoided by shipping pre and taking down an uncontested pot. Free money is good money.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without a doubt the scolding you will get has its reasons, and they are good ones. However, you took an odd, dangerous line in full knowledge and with your own reasons. I'm not going to argue much with a little creativity, Phil Hellmuth.

However, the big flaw in your logic is that you are not winning the monster pot you claim, even with your successful maneuver. You're not winning that much more than the shove would have netted you and you risked everything to do it.
  • BenLeewoodBenLeewood Red Chipper Posts: 285 ✭✭
    persuadeo wrote: »
    Without a doubt the scolding you will get has its reasons, and they are good ones. However, you took an odd, dangerous line in full knowledge and with your own reasons. I'm not going to argue much with a little creativity, Phil Hellmuth.

However, the big flaw in your logic is that you are not winning the monster pot you claim, even with your successful maneuver. You're not winning that much more than the shove would have netted you and you risked everything to do it.

I lean towards agreeing with you. If I didn't get unlucky, I would have had 30k+. Instead of 19,000. It would have been a good calculated risk to accumulate more chips. But variance showed up and I was a gone goose.

I still think the hand brings up an interesting talking point about a live hand. No?
  • bigpapsbigpaps Red Chipper Posts: 42
    U have a chance to increase your stack by 50pct here without seeing a flop and r sitting ok to more than double vs both limpers ranges here. The fact that u r so certain the blinds calling ranges r so narrow only increase the fact that u have to jam. U r also giving the blinds chances to catch up. What happens when the blind has 67 and the flop comes 2 67? U have to jam 100 pct of the time.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be interesting hand if you had something like 25k instead of 13k. You have like 8bb which is an autoship unless utg raises which would make it close.
  • philby20philby20 Red Chipper Posts: 189 ✭✭
    i would auto jam everyday off the week pre flop without a second thought and if everyone folds yippeee
  • BenLeewoodBenLeewood Red Chipper Posts: 285 ✭✭
    It would be a lot more interesting if I had more chips.

The discussion point I was seeking with this thread was more on the lines of "how badly was this hand played?"

The results of this hand are awful. But if I could play big pots, while way ahead, I'd do it every time. I played this hand incorrectly. But lucked into a great situation.

So should I be THAT upset with myself? I'm never going to make this mistake again. I should have shipped. Period.

I pride myself in "getting it in good" at the end of my tournaments. This was a unconventional way to play 8's but the play almost worked to get me full value and have a shot at the money. So should I feel SO bad about it?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file