Hand Range

JackofClubsJackofClubs Red Chipper Posts: 52
edited November 2014 in Live Poker Hands
I am trying to improve my hand reading skill - fairly weak right now.
Colorado $ 2-5 $100 spread. Normal buy-in is between $ 300 and $ 500.
Seat 9 $ 700+, Seat 10 $ 900+. I have watched the game for 3 orbits before my seat opened (seat 8). Seat 9 had raised 3 times in the 3 orbits and seat 10 had raised 4 times and both had limped in late position a couple of times but neither had called a raise.
My first hand is AK spades (1 early pos limper) and I raise to $ 20. Both seat 9 and 10 called.
With this limited information, what hand range would you put each of the callers on?

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,975 -
    had you seen them 3bet at all yet? and fish behind them?
  • Ed MillerEd Miller RCP Coach Posts: 330
    Wide and wide. Offsuit stuff down to like JTo. Any pair. A bunch of suited hands. This is based mostly on my a priori assumption that $2-$5 players play way too many hands preflop. The info you provided about their play does little to convince me that they play otherwise.
  • JackofClubsJackofClubs Red Chipper Posts: 52
    Thank you for your response.
    I did not see a 3 bet.
    For the future in these situations I will start with a range of 22+, A2s+, KTs+, 76s+, ATo+, JTo+
  • Ed MillerEd Miller RCP Coach Posts: 330
    Honestly I think it's wider than that on the suited cards, but that's a decent first approximation.
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 941 ✭✭✭✭
    It amazes me how players don't apply the simplest math when thinking about ranges of your opponents...

if raises of X amount in you game get 3 to 4 callers on average...and you playing 10 handed, that means out of 9 players 3.5 call....thats 38% ranges..

If raise of x amount get 2 to 3...that 2.5/9 * 100 or 27% range...

Well a 27% range is something like all broadway (except kto and QTo) any 2 suited above 9, all suited connectors all suited 1 gap t9o and k6s+

Sure the games often go with the first caller being a bit tighter and others being looser because its going multi way...but its a good starting point...

How many players call x size raise in your game...and do the simple math for a starting point...
  • JackofClubsJackofClubs Red Chipper Posts: 52
    Thanks to Ed and Eazzy for your responses. Eazzy, your formula is new to me and I appreciate your sharing to provide me with a starting point.
    I would have thought 27% would have been too wide to call a raise but after Ed's response and watching Live at the Bike for the first time and getting to see the hole cards of players in a $ 2-5 game 27 % is way too low. Limping and calling a raise was almost any two cards. Getting to see hole cards of players is an eye opener.
    I now will read and study the posts on this site and think about the play in my live game in a whole new light.
    Thanks.
  • Big OwlBig Owl Red Chipper Posts: 170
    Eazzy wrote:
    It amazes me how players don't apply the simplest math when thinking about ranges of your opponents...

if raises of X amount in you game get 3 to 4 callers on average...and you playing 10 handed, that means out of 9 players 3.5 call....thats 38% ranges..

If raise of x amount get 2 to 3...that 2.5/9 * 100 or 27% range...

Well a 27% range is something like all broadway (except kto and QTo) any 2 suited above 9, all suited connectors all suited 1 gap t9o and k6s+

Sure the games often go with the first caller being a bit tighter and others being looser because its going multi way...but its a good starting point...

How many players call x size raise in your game...and do the simple math for a starting point...

What in the world is this?
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • EricEric Red Chipper Posts: 46 ✭✭
    To the range that you listed, I personally add in all suited connectors, all one gapers and all two gapers (especially to the second caller). It might be even wider... If I put you on a premium hand, I may call with any two suited cards for a low percentage of the effective stack, if I was on the button (or cutoff when the button doesn't frequently defend or I see him folding) and I thought I could stack you. As played, I would not call 4% to win 100BB. Just to give you an idea of how some players play and think.

Eric

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file