AK OOP against fish

Skors3Skors3 Red Chipper Posts: 669 ✭✭✭
edited December 2014 in Live Poker Hands
Villain was very loose. He raised pre flop 5-6 times per orbit to either $5 or $7 unless it was raised before him. I also saw him bet and then call a raise on both the turn and river with :K? :8? on a :K? :Q? :3? :6? :2? board. He would also frequently bet if others didn't post flop. Despite the :K? :8? hand, he did slow down post flop if others showed interest.

1/2 game; about 2 hours into the session

(I don't recall suits but they weren't a factor at any point.)

Villain CO $400 stack
Hero SB $550 stack

PRE-FLOP:

MP limp/fold
CO Villain raise $7/Call
SB Hero $25 :A? :K?

FLOP: :A? :T? :3? pot $54

Hero check/call
Villian $25

TURN: :A? :T? :3? :6? pot $104

Hero check/call
Villian $50

RIVER: :A? :T? :3? :6? :J? pot $204

Hero check/call
Villian $75

I know :A? :K? is way ahead of his range. But he showed more aggression than usual by betting 3 straight streets. This shrinks his range but I still thought :A? :K? was too strong to fold.

Thoughts on my line.

Comments

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Against these uncertain bet sizings, it's at least a call, and never a fold versus this player. For me, I would have been watching what his bet sizing was when he did get deep post flop; that's just as valuable as noting his willingness to bet three streets; you have to coordinate this information to get a really precise read. I want, in general, to consider a raise/fold here for thin value against his very likely holding of AQ on the river, as it is combinatorically the most likely hand played this way, with his blocking/value bet sizing and I consider this a value-own line we've taken, and getting in that last bet is very sweet. If he got lucky on you with AJ/10, etc, just be glad he doesn't bet size very well, as there is no way you can fold to this player as described. Nice hand, I think you played it very well against someone who likes to bet and probably doesn't really know where he is at much.
  • Christian SotoChristian Soto RCP Coach Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭
    Why did you check Flop?
  • Skors3Skors3 Red Chipper Posts: 669 ✭✭✭
    I checked the flop because he's betting if I check. That's how he was playing. If I bet out, he's folding unless he has a hand. I guess I was trying to implement the 'hiding information from a LAG' strategy.
  • Christian SotoChristian Soto RCP Coach Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭
    I mean, you 3bet preflop assuming the opponent will continue with worse often.
    Now you hit and your hand is of value but you choose to turn it into a bluff catcher.
    Your opponent bets three streets and you're questioning the line.

Just saying. :-)
  • goodtimesgoodtimes Red Chipper Posts: 61
    Im curious why villain is labeled a fish? Description to me seems like a decent aggressive strategy at a 1/2 table that isnt too stationy
  • Ed MillerEd Miller RCP Coach Posts: 330
    AK is too strong to fold against this player type given these bet sizes.

I'm going to be 3-betting this guy from the blinds with a WIDE range, so AK is going to be too good for me to go check-call with. I would bet the flop, even against this player type. If he wants to try to fold a weaker ace against me, he's going to be folding to a lot of barrels too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file