Etiquette Question

Skors3Skors3 Red Chipper Posts: 667 ✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in General Concepts
This event happened at a 1/2 table I played at earlier in the evening. I was wondering what others thought about it as it became a bit of a heated discussion at the table.

Player 1 :A? :T? Player 2 :A? :9?

Final board: :7? :8? :T? :A? :J? (no flushes possible)

Effective stacks were about $200 and they were all in on the turn. Both players had tabled their cards after the river. Player 1 states "2 pair" and the dealer looks at his hand and pushes up the :A? and :T? indicating the winning hand. Player 2 does not respond. Two players at the table, but not in the hand, both say something about there being straight. This all happened within a few seconds but it appeared that both Player 2 and the dealer missed the river straight.

Player 1 gets very angry. He starts pointing at the two players that spoke up saying they shouldn't be talking about the hand. They are not involved. He threatened to have them removed from the room if they do it again. Pointing fingers. etc.

Despite Player 1's poor reaction I wondered if he had a point about those not in the hand speaking up. Personally, I don't agree with him. I think the pot should be awarded to the winning hand even if both that player and the dealer miss it. But 2 others at the table agreed with Player 1. I think he was just mad because he lost the pot because a) he didn't see the straight himself or b) he did and thought he was going to be pushed the pot.
Tagged:

Comments

• chgosoxfanchgosoxfan Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Every card-room I've been at has a rule stating that "cards speak". As long as the cards are tabled, Player 2 should win the pot every time. A breach of etiquette would be if someone sweating player 2 mentioned a straight before the cards were tabled.
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,793 -
    Cards speak, but only from the felt. They were on the felt, it is everyone's option to speak up. It is a good Samaritan thing. You are under no obligation to correct the dealer but you are never wrong to once tabled.

Until the cards are tabled though, no one should say a word. A guy holds them out for all to see for sympathy in this same situation but does not table then everyone must remain silent. Once they are safely in the muck, feel free to tell him or not.

On a related note, you are under no obligation to correct the dealer. I have seen the dealer push half the pot to a guy that appeared to have a qualifying low (but did not). The High hand side of the pot had been a prick all night. I neglected to point this error out, and the High was oblivious.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You protect the game by helping the dealer in this situation.

Player one is an asshole.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Player 1 is wrong and doesn't understand either the rules or the spirit of the rules.

Having said that, I have seen a winning tabled hand that everyone else missed, but didn't say anything because the real winner was a douchebag angler and I didnt feel he deserved my help :)
  • JCWJCW Red Chipper Posts: 93 ✭✭
    A long time ago players were responsible for calling their own hands. I believe this was back in the Gardena days before there were dealers.

Things have changed since dealers are involved. It is everyone's obligation to make sure the game is error free.

There are still some people out there (normally older or from home games) that do not like/accept this "new" rule. But in modern poker cards speak.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file