Board Coverage

GTOLife2020GTOLife2020 Hudson Valley, NYRed Chipper Posts: 875 ✭✭✭
edited September 2017 in Online Poker Hands
I asked about this over on RIO but nobody seems to want to talk to me there since I said that RCP was a better deal now that RIO raised the price of the essential. No love lost.

Can someone expand upon this concept or direct me toward some material that addresses board coverage when constructing ranges? It's a topic that I heard about a couple of months ago, know what it is, but want to learn more about it so I can best incorporate it into my strategy and ranges.

Comments

• NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Having a range that can contain the nuts on any flop would be considered board coverage. On the other hand, if you think the smallest pocket pair that a nit would open is 88, then you know that he can't have the nuts on a 642r board.
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭✭
    The Nuts would be 35 on this board ;)
  • bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it can boil down to having a range wide enough to be able to represent something on any board type. It may not need to be the absolute nuts, such as holding 53 on a 642 board, but hopefully you're wide enough to not be capped at a one-pair holding.
  • moldyfishmoldyfish Red Chipper Posts: 99 ✭✭
    A good exercise could be to just take a deck of cards and put out a bunch of flops. On each one ask yourself, what hands do I want to have here? What hands will I most often have here? What do I get to do with these hands now that I have them? You have to mostly be talking about constructing preflop ranges, right? A lot of the preflop ranges people on here discuss usually are made with board coverage in mind.
  • MonadMonad Red Chipper Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    moldyfish wrote: »
    A good exercise could be to just take a deck of cards and put out a bunch of flops. On each one ask yourself, what hands do I want to have here? What hands will I most often have here? What do I get to do with these hands now that I have them? You have to mostly be talking about constructing preflop ranges, right? A lot of the preflop ranges people on here discuss usually are made with board coverage in mind.

Is your avatar pooping, or just crying/sulking nude?

Also, this is good advice.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monad wrote: »

I think it's a button beast in the SB.

It's just Kirby but with a butt.
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭✭

It's just Kirby but with a butt.

I was never big on the Kirby series but I've never seen this side of him before. Literally.
  • GTOLife2020GTOLife2020 Hudson Valley, NYRed Chipper Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

I see. And yes, this is about constructing preflop ranges. As said, I had heard someone bring it up in a Pokerstrategy video a couple of months ago but the narrator didn't want to go down that road as he said it was too advanced for the current video. For whatever reason, it stuck in my mind as something interesting and important.
    Right, if you are just getting into preflop ranges you are best off learning simply what they are meant to do and how they work. Your preflop ranges should reflect your plan postflop. This means thinking about in what ways you will be winning more than your fair share from the table and what hands and frequencies help you accomplish that. Board coverage can be a component in this but for some strategies, consider the Upswing ranges, it is not so much.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file