Sweeney: The Poker's 1% Video Series

24

Comments

  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,032 -
    You are ebbing and flowing between tilt and very lucid thinking @Joseph F. Just zoom out a bit, see WHY having a back pocket strategy like The 1% is helpful, and use it as starting point when you don't have guiding information in real-time.

    And 100% agreed that mental game is tough to build and test - but your off-table mental is going to be a great litmus test...
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,032 -
    Oh, and a trick I've been sharing with people who are struggling with results-orientation is this:

    1. Get a cheap little spiral bound notebook
    2. On page 1, write down the results from your latest session
    3. Turn the page so you only see a blank page 2
    4. After your next session, write down your results on page 2
    5. Turn the page so you only see a blank page 3
    6. Rinse/repeat

    Do this until you feel confident enough to go back through the results and add them into your long term results sheet. This all ensures you keep tracking your results, but eliminates constantly seeing recent results after each session when you are likely the most prone to tilting.
  • Brad CBrad C Red Chipper Posts: 181 ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    @Joseph F Why would you make the assumption that people play 2nl to make money?

    I ask because even if you were profiting something logically absurd like 250bb/hour, you'd still only be making $5/hour, which is still 2-3x less than even just minimum wage in the majority of the US.

    I guess I've made the assumption that people play 2nl because they either simply enjoy clicking buttons (no judgement), want to get better at the game, or maybe are just extremely competitive and want a game to compete at, so when I read your post about wanting to ask people if they're here to make money, in all honesty, it was surprising to read.

    Curious minds inquire :)
  • KottonCandyKottonCandy Hudson Valley, NYRed Chipper Posts: 870 ✭✭✭
    Brad C wrote: »
    @Joseph F Why would you make the assumption that people play 2nl to make money?

    I ask because even if you were profiting something logically absurd like 250bb/hour, you'd still only be making $5/hour, which is still 2-3x less than even just minimum wage in the majority of the US.

    I guess I've made the assumption that people play 2nl because they either simply enjoy clicking buttons (no judgement), want to get better at the game, or maybe are just extremely competitive and want a game to compete at, so when I read your post about wanting to ask people if they're here to make money, in all honesty, it was surprising to read.

    Curious minds inquire :)

    This is a great point. I'm not playing 2NL anywhere but on one network. There, I'm sticking to BR rules, playing within 25 BI's (so not even strict rules), and trying to build the roll slowly. I guess that's the problem and why I have so much difficulty with 2NL over there: I'm simply trying to make money faster than the other guys at the table when I'm losing, starting my trees and pyramids out way too widely, and therefore constantly being outkicked or beat by one pair, etc. In some of my past posts you'll see a huge heater at the same games/stakes but between the bankroll being low on that site, it also being the toughest US facing site, and the games being so nitty, I'm just going to have to take a different approach there and also start 1 tabling 5NL.

    You're 100% correct, though. That's why I started out playing 5NL on Ignition last night, too. I know I can beat that game and it was difficult to work on certain aspects of my own game by having to wade through these absolute micro nits over @ 2NL on WPN. It's not that nitty all the time, mind you - but the games do become a little ridiculous sometimes. Reg hours, of course.
  • KottonCandyKottonCandy Hudson Valley, NYRed Chipper Posts: 870 ✭✭✭
    SplitSuit wrote: »
    You are ebbing and flowing between tilt and very lucid thinking @Joseph F. Just zoom out a bit, see WHY having a back pocket strategy like The 1% is helpful, and use it as starting point when you don't have guiding information in real-time.

    And 100% agreed that mental game is tough to build and test - but your off-table mental is going to be a great litmus test...

    Well, I picked up a few more things here that I just forgot about by falling into some bad habits again. **Slot machine poker**. Playing for stacks and not pots. Right there, it's a miracle I wasn't just pouring money away (I'm not...I'm holding even everywhere). So, I'm back to really focusing on position, reads, and the size of the pot...along with SPR. Naturally, some other things are starting to fall back into place around that.

    I need to start going through the workbooks with flopzilla as I can clearly see how laying out hands street by street, and gradually trimming combos out the pyramid, is going to greatly expand my overall understanding of the game and really help out my winrate in the long run.
  • Brad CBrad C Red Chipper Posts: 181 ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Joseph F wrote: »
    Brad C wrote: »
    @Joseph F Why would you make the assumption that people play 2nl to make money?

    I ask because even if you were profiting something logically absurd like 250bb/hour, you'd still only be making $5/hour, which is still 2-3x less than even just minimum wage in the majority of the US.

    I guess I've made the assumption that people play 2nl because they either simply enjoy clicking buttons (no judgement), want to get better at the game, or maybe are just extremely competitive and want a game to compete at, so when I read your post about wanting to ask people if they're here to make money, in all honesty, it was surprising to read.

    Curious minds inquire :)

    This is a great point. I'm not playing 2NL anywhere but on one network. There, I'm sticking to BR rules, playing within 25 BI's (so not even strict rules), and trying to build the roll slowly. I guess that's the problem and why I have so much difficulty with 2NL over there: I'm simply trying to make money faster than the other guys at the table when I'm losing, starting my trees and pyramids out way too widely, and therefore constantly being outkicked or beat by one pair, etc. In some of my past posts you'll see a huge heater at the same games/stakes but between the bankroll being low on that site, it also being the toughest US facing site, and the games being so nitty, I'm just going to have to take a different approach there and also start 1 tabling 5NL.

    You're 100% correct, though. That's why I started out playing 5NL on Ignition last night, too. I know I can beat that game and it was difficult to work on certain aspects of my own game by having to wade through these absolute micro nits over @ 2NL on WPN. It's not that nitty all the time, mind you - but the games do become a little ridiculous sometimes. Reg hours, of course.

    Gotcha - so just some food for thought, which I found interesting. Doug Polk, who is the founder of "Upswing Poker" and, regardless of what you think of him personally or anythign like that, is by all means probably one of the top poker players in the world

    He had a challenge where he was looking to build a BR starting with, I believe $100 and looking to turn it into 10k. He failed at this and actually struggled for a bit. He did eventually get to around 200-400 before stopping (probably bc the amount of money he was losing spending his hours at these stakes was just mind boggingly high lol) but my point is that to build a BR starting at these stakes, online, seems tough - so def. stick with it but just maybe keep that in the back of your mind. Even one of the best poker players in the world wasn't just cake walking a bankroll through the micro streets lol
  • KottonCandyKottonCandy Hudson Valley, NYRed Chipper Posts: 870 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Brad C wrote: »
    Joseph F wrote: »
    Brad C wrote: »
    @Joseph F Why would you make the assumption that people play 2nl to make money?

    I ask because even if you were profiting something logically absurd like 250bb/hour, you'd still only be making $5/hour, which is still 2-3x less than even just minimum wage in the majority of the US.

    I guess I've made the assumption that people play 2nl because they either simply enjoy clicking buttons (no judgement), want to get better at the game, or maybe are just extremely competitive and want a game to compete at, so when I read your post about wanting to ask people if they're here to make money, in all honesty, it was surprising to read.

    Curious minds inquire :)

    This is a great point. I'm not playing 2NL anywhere but on one network. There, I'm sticking to BR rules, playing within 25 BI's (so not even strict rules), and trying to build the roll slowly. I guess that's the problem and why I have so much difficulty with 2NL over there: I'm simply trying to make money faster than the other guys at the table when I'm losing, starting my trees and pyramids out way too widely, and therefore constantly being outkicked or beat by one pair, etc. In some of my past posts you'll see a huge heater at the same games/stakes but between the bankroll being low on that site, it also being the toughest US facing site, and the games being so nitty, I'm just going to have to take a different approach there and also start 1 tabling 5NL.

    You're 100% correct, though. That's why I started out playing 5NL on Ignition last night, too. I know I can beat that game and it was difficult to work on certain aspects of my own game by having to wade through these absolute micro nits over @ 2NL on WPN. It's not that nitty all the time, mind you - but the games do become a little ridiculous sometimes. Reg hours, of course.

    Gotcha - so just some food for thought, which I found interesting. Doug Polk, who is the founder of "Upswing Poker" and, regardless of what you think of him personally or anythign like that, is by all means probably one of the top poker players in the world

    He had a challenge where he was looking to build a BR starting with, I believe $100 and looking to turn it into 10k. He failed at this and actually struggled for a bit. He did eventually get to around 200-400 before stopping (probably bc the amount of money he was losing spending his hours at these stakes was just mind boggingly high lol) but my point is that to build a BR starting at these stakes, online, seems tough - so def. stick with it but just maybe keep that in the back of your mind. Even one of the best poker players in the world wasn't just cake walking a bankroll through the micro streets lol

    Thank you for this. It helps my mentality tremendously. Part of the problem when I first started was playing in the micros like this and also having 2p2 be my first experience in poker discussion. Of course, everyone was laughing at anyone who couldn't beat the micros. Later on I realized this was part of the game people play with other's mentality.

    As you pointed out - If we really look at a 4 or 5bb/100 winrate, you can't expect to build the roll quickly here. It's very easy to get blinded by the light when you see a few aggro's stack people and it seems like the money's just pouring in for everyone but you. I'm learning and getting tempered. Slowly but surely.

    As for me giving up or anything: Don't listen to my rants when I'm on tilt. I've already resigned to the fact that I'm not giving the game up at this point. I just want to start putting some money together and I realize that the only way to do that is to keep studying and playing, learning and improving. I have to do everything I can do in my power and have a little faith alongside of it.
  • Brad CBrad C Red Chipper Posts: 181 ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Yeah, if you're taking in like 5bb/100 (which from my understanding would be really really fucking good over a massive sample size) at 2NL. My basis for saying this is that SplitSuit's win rates which he posted on his website for 16 tabling 2NL are 1.86BB/100 - that's a whole $0.0372 per 100 and most likely you aren't doing the god-form 16 table approach (LOL I just re-read his website and @SplitSuit might kill me for what I just said - I think that w/r is actually for 200 NL)

    Regardless, another thing to consider - do you have a day job? If so, you can easily save enough money to put aside for a bankroll, so if your skills are good enough you can just enter at higher stakes much quicker than trying to make that same money through online micro stakes.

    Anyway, I don't know mucha bout your situation but those were some thoughts that came to mind.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,032 -
    Brad C wrote: »
    Yeah, if you're taking in like 5bb/100 (which from my understanding would be really really fucking good over a massive sample size) at 2NL. My basis for saying this is that SplitSuit's win rates which he posted on his website for 16 tabling 2NL are 1.86BB/100 - that's a whole $0.0372 per 100 and most likely you aren't doing the god-form 16 table approach (LOL I just re-read his website and @SplitSuit might kill me for what I just said - I think that w/r is actually for 200 NL).

    Yes, for 200NL. And that was in PTBB/100 (so double it for today's standards since no one uses PTBB/100 any more lol).
  • zampana1970zampana1970 Red Chipper Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    Back to OP, wanted to chime in a little on the 70% number. As far as I understand we are continuing in some way with 70% of our range on the previous street. Every decision point we will eliminate 30% of our range. I would think that would include V c/r points on the same street, etc. I also would think the percentage we continue with should be dictated by the odds we're getting. We will continue with more than 70% if we have to call a 8:1 bet, and we would continue with less if we are facing an overbet, no?
  • KottonCandyKottonCandy Hudson Valley, NYRed Chipper Posts: 870 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    As said, when it comes, it comes in chunks. Thanks for all of the help over the last 12+ hours, guys.

    bg8jo4lksciv.png

  • KottonCandyKottonCandy Hudson Valley, NYRed Chipper Posts: 870 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Brad C wrote: »
    Yeah, if you're taking in like 5bb/100 (which from my understanding would be really really fucking good over a massive sample size) at 2NL. My basis for saying this is that SplitSuit's win rates which he posted on his website for 16 tabling 2NL are 1.86BB/100 - that's a whole $0.0372 per 100 and most likely you aren't doing the god-form 16 table approach (LOL I just re-read his website and @SplitSuit might kill me for what I just said - I think that w/r is actually for 200 NL)

    Regardless, another thing to consider - do you have a day job? If so, you can easily save enough money to put aside for a bankroll, so if your skills are good enough you can just enter at higher stakes much quicker than trying to make that same money through online micro stakes.

    Anyway, I don't know mucha bout your situation but those were some thoughts that came to mind.

    Would have responded to this last night but I was so tired I could barely manage eating something and making it to bed lol. I don't have a full time day job but I do have a part time job as a ghost writer and I have a severance package from my former employer, as they relocated across the country and I just couldn't go with them. Didn't want to, either. So, yeah ...I'm by no means swimming in money but I do have enough coming in outside of poker to take a shot at higher stakes with a few hundred dollars. The thing is that I know I'm not on that level yet. On the level to have a nice run at like 25NL? Absolutely. On the level to handle the first bad run and beats? No. Not at those stack sizes. The highest I've ever played is 10NL but I'm moving back up there this weekend for a bit again.

    I need to continue to put in heavy volume, study like crazy, and work on my mental game. On and off the tables, as James points out. This I've all been doing. I have a huge tendency to rush things and become impatient so although I'm putting in the work, I'm also not putting a strict timeline on myself for how things develop. That's going to force me to move up before I'm ready and potentially ruin my mental game. Baby steps in that department.

  • SwarleySwarley Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Is the spreadsheet used in this video available anywhere or should i just make my own?
  • SwarleySwarley Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Also, there is one thing i have never understood when doing combo analysis. In this video for example, we ruled out some hands because we say that we will 3bet them such as AA, KK, and hands like A5-A2s. But i don't think we should be 3betting these hands 100% of the time, especially hands like A2s. So why when were looking at our flop continuance range should we not include A2, maybe 3bet 50% of the time and call 50% of the time PF leaving 2 combos of A2. If anyone can briefly clarify this that would be awesome, thank you!
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,032 -
    Swarley wrote: »
    Is the spreadsheet used in this video available anywhere or should i just make my own?

    Alright, so here's what I did.

    I created a blank one that can get you started. The link is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TeLpJmX4MztyZ_L_oQvE4-zNytjSAxWJxWacH6NSZ9c/edit?usp=sharing

    I suggest you either a.) go to File > Download As and save it to your computer or b.) right click the sheet down below and copy it into your own Drive

    I also made this showing which things are manual. Because so much of this is manual, please note that the chances of misinterpreting the data are higher - so please double check everything!

    qi6udg0chbbs.png

    You need to set the denominator with the number of combos that to the flop in cell S17. And the others near there (S21, S23, S24) are also manual and based upon how many exactly combos you choose.

    I hope this isn't more confusing than sending you nothing, lol. But with a little practice and comparing it to the video I think you'll get the hang of it!
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,032 -
    Swarley wrote: »
    Also, there is one thing i have never understood when doing combo analysis. In this video for example, we ruled out some hands because we say that we will 3bet them such as AA, KK, and hands like A5-A2s. But i don't think we should be 3betting these hands 100% of the time, especially hands like A2s. So why when were looking at our flop continuance range should we not include A2, maybe 3bet 50% of the time and call 50% of the time PF leaving 2 combos of A2. If anyone can briefly clarify this that would be awesome, thank you!

    This video, and others like it throughout the series, show the process. If you make different assumptions, and thus use different ranges to respond to those assumptions, you are more than welcome to modify accordingly.

    That said, say you decide to 3bet AA 80% and flat 20%. That's only 1.2 combos being added to the flatting range. Will all of those partial combos change a ton postflop?
  • SwarleySwarley Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Thanks for the rundown on the spreadsheet, it definitely helps. Also thanks for clearing that up for me, appreciate it.
  • eselspieleselspiel Red Chipper Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Here's a time saving tip with regards to the latest vid on bluffing and V-betting frequencies, CREV is a nice tool to use to construct ranges.

    By using the special % equity section in the post flop condition menu, one can quickly construct how to divide up the betting and checking hands by equity and still ensure to hit the 70%/30%. & 50%/50%, etc.

    One can construct, polarized, non-polarized or many other distributions.

    The nice thing is the file can be saved, so one can go through many flops quickly - spending time looking at the actually ranges rather than cut and pasting in Excel.

    Of course the SW is much more powerful than just this.

    hope this helps.

    ES
  • jegingrichjegingrich Red Chipper Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I was hoping to use your spreadsheet instead of starting from scratch. Can you explain how to "insert screenshot (flopzilla) of your range into the spreadsheet. Also, what does CREV refer to .... thx JG
  • jegingrichjegingrich Red Chipper Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Maybe it will be in another video, but can you discuss what adjustments you would make when you get two callers or three or more callers. For example, when there are two callers you would instead of CBetting 70% of the time you would adjust it down to 50% and the percentage of value versus bluffs would be 50/50 instead of 70/30 when heads up, etc.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,032 -
    jegingrich wrote: »
    I was hoping to use your spreadsheet instead of starting from scratch. Can you explain how to "insert screenshot (flopzilla) of your range into the spreadsheet. Also, what does CREV refer to .... thx JG

    1. Take a screenshot of the PF range you are using for this hand (video for how to do that)
    2. If you are using Google Sheets, just go Insert > Image and choose the image you got from step 1.

    CREV = CardRunners EV =)
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,032 -
    jegingrich wrote: »
    Maybe it will be in another video, but can you discuss what adjustments you would make when you get two callers or three or more callers. For example, when there are two callers you would instead of CBetting 70% of the time you would adjust it down to 50% and the percentage of value versus bluffs would be 50/50 instead of 70/30 when heads up, etc.

    I discuss that later in the series - but in short, MW is a bad event and bad events lead to lower firing frequencies.
  • Chin TangChin Tang Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I just literally bought the 1% [pure and upfront full value] and I am loving it and my eyes are wide open and I can already see that if what you say (joseph) is true, then you adjust from the 70%. but I will say with confidence (because I believe in Janda and James' math) that YOU should be able to exploit the crap out of the frequency imbalance. In fact it should be relatively easy for you to just rape these nits. So, that is that.

    Now on to my question: Now, as much as I am saying that I intuitively just believe in the math . . . I do just have this one question: I think James should have been a little bit more explicit about the POT bet. I believe (if I am taking the course correctly, the 70% is based on a pot size bet) The pot sized bet makes the math easy: 2 bluffs (wide) at flop; 1 value to 1 bluff on the turn; and 2 value and one bluff at the river. When the pot bet is implemented correctly with the 70% guideline, it will be like turning GOD mode in raping everyone! [to Jame's credit he did use the one pot example, but I just need a little bit more: i needed to hear him say: Go forth and now make the pot bet your standard size. As a new learner, I needed to hear that directly. I am inferring it, but explicit would have been helpful. That is the reason I am here asking this question.]



    I can foresee that It should be GOD mode in these two ways:
    1. no one is used to facing this type of bet size when standard is 1/2 to 3/4 pot.
    2. POT bet makes the math easy to get the 2:1 , 1:1 and 1:2 ratio


    I also find ancillary supporting evidence that the above is correct: Doug Polk has said: the larger your bluff bet size, the more you get to bluff. This checks out with the James course. This checks out.

    Now to the guys who understand this stuff better than I do: QUESTION: do I have that right? we are to just start using one bet size right? A balanced range based on 1 pot bet shoudl be easier to calculate, right? ! that is Brilliant!!!! [doug polk likes simple strats and simple strats that are done well. I believe this is simple and it can be done well and that is what i endeavor to do!



    Anyone please chime in. I intuitively believe I have this right. I hop I am right. : ) [I think I am, but it is so new a concept that I have to ask for some reassurance before I just run with potting as my only single size : ) ]

    thx in advance.
    cheers.
  • Chin TangChin Tang Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Just to clarify my TLDR post above: My question: WE should be using only Pot bets right? And just try to balance the ranges and frequencies on the Pot bet, right?

    thx.
  • Chin TangChin Tang Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
    I did my very rough understanding of the 1% on a twitch live stream skipping to 3 minutes to start the stream. I am implementing the pot sized bet and:

    2bluffs to 1 value flop
    1bluff to 1 value turn
    1bluff to 2 value river.

    If you want to check it out and tell me I am completely off my rockers, please feel free.

    cheers.


  • David RudderDavid Rudder Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Very interesting discussion. I have just a few thoughts I would like to share. I read the book a year or two ago, and think it is great, very insightful. One thing that stuck in my mind in Ed's book, if the opponent deviates from the rules first, then you can deviate to implement an exploit. Of course, game selection does come to mind also. However, obviously, in the US for online, the overall selection is limited. A few months back, I did some analysis of how range vs. ranges hits various flop types, using lots of data points (e.g. tight vs. tight, tight vs. loose, loose vs. loose, ranges between those, with a hit for each range being top pair or better). I used Doug Hull's Flop Falcon to do this. From those results, it is easy to visualize and see where and why, in general, the magic number is 70%.
  • YowzaYowza Red Chipper Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Working through video 5 on the bluffing/betting frequencies: Splitsuit states that with enough money behind to play all future streets, keep your raising range preflop 2bluff:1value. Sounds reasonable. Yet, Miller in his book 'the course' suggests a preflop 3 bet range of AA, KK, A5s. (vs a strong, EP open). This is the opposite kind of ratio, that holds 1bluff:3value Which is it folks?

    I play 300 BB deep 2/5 live, at 10 handed Casino tables. Trying to develop a base line range for 5 positions (Early, Middle, CO, Btn, Blinds). For each of these 'positions' , I would like to develop opening, calling behind, and 3B ranges. Which ratio should I use, assuming there are 300bb effective stacks in play? I lean towards Splitsuit's interpretation of Miller's book, but then am faced with exact opposite advice from Miller himself... AA, KK and A5s seem like a more appropriate 4B or 5B range...
  • YowzaYowza Red Chipper Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Thanks for responding Prodigy. It is the composition of those 3b hands that interests me. So if I want to open wide, do I pack it with 2 'bluff' hands (although, the distinction between what is a 'bluff' and what is pure value is very fuzzy before the flop comes) for every solid 'value' hand, or do I repop with only value.

    Actually, playing around with flopzilla, it is clear that once past the 3% mark, the speculative 'bluff' hands are cooked in. So, yeah a 10% 3b range is indeed 2:1 from the flop forward.

    Short answer - I need to drown my inner nit, especially pre.
  • AmarilloMarkAmarilloMark Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I posted this in another topic, but I'm reposting it here as I think this is the official 1% page.
    I open UTG with 77+, suited Broadway, A2s-A5s, A9s, AQo, AKo, and KQo for 11% and 144 combos. The cutoff calls.
    Flop is 3c 5d Js leaving me with 135 combos. 70% of 135 is 94. With 1:2 ratio of value bets to bluffs I need 31 value bets to 63 bluffs.
    I choose AA, KK, QQ as shoe in value bets along with suited Broadway cards containing a Jack, giving me 33 value combos. For bluffs, I go with 77-TT, remaining suited Broadways, and suited Aces for 64 bluff combos. I keep JJ, AKo, AQo, and KQo in my checking range.
    Turn is 9C and brings up two questions. First, if the flop checks through, do I take 70% of my opening range to the turn or do I pretend I bet and use 70% of my betting range.
    Second, if I had bet the flop, this turn card leaves me 65 combos. 70% is 46 combos. At a 1:1 ratio, I need 23 value bets to 23 bluffs. But I have 36 shoe in value combos to start with. That is more than I needed for the flop bets.
    Am I doing something wrong?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file