Pocket 8s UTG

Donald DingwellDonald Dingwell Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
5th of 8 left on $11 3-Table SnG paying 5 I am UTG with 88 only 7.5BBs left. Table has been fairly passive and the other players stack sizes are:
1.5BB
3.5BB
3.5BB
3 players around 10BBs
28BBs

What's the correct play here?

Comments

• legitxerislegitxeris Red Chipper Posts: 2
    I came in 5th place in my last tournament of 20 players.
    I would bet 2x BB in a fairly passive environment.
  • OccamTheOtterOccamTheOtter Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Not a tourney player (dabbled with moderate success), but this seems like a pretty clear shove (feel free to correct).

Was this a turbo tournament?

If the blinds are going up soon, we probably will not see a better opportunity with 7.5BB. Open raising seems pretty terrible, because we are committing too much of our stack to see almost guaranteed overcards and little room to play postflop.

Plus, with us and everyone else on short stacks, we are still pretty far from the bubble. We have to expect to make a few shoves before we get to the money, and this seems like a good spot.

If this is on Stars with the ante in play, we are probably adding a lot %-wise to our stack if we shove and don't get called. If we shove and get called, well... that's tournament poker? :)
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 4,745 -
    5th of 8 left on $11 3-Table SnG paying 5 I am UTG with 88 only 7.5BBs left. Table has been fairly passive and the other players stack sizes are:
    1.5BB
    3.5BB
    3.5BB
    3 players around 10BBs
    28BBs

What's the correct play here?

It may matter which stacks are where relative to you and whether there are antes. My guess is it's an ICM fold. With those details and the pay-out structure you can check using the free version of HoldemResources Calculator.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • OccamTheOtterOccamTheOtter Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    It may matter which stacks are where relative to you and whether there are antes. My guess is it's an ICM fold...

I agree with TheGameKat that looking at ICM here is going to give the most fruitful answer.

• EatRunPokerEatRunPoker NY, NYRed Chipper Posts: 91 ✭✭
    What position is the 28bb stack in? How many bb does the bb have? Are there antes? It's almost always a shove regardless, but these are the factors to consider. The burden of defense lies heavier on the big blind, so if that is the player with 28bb you have to be a bit tighter on the bubble here. But I still think 88 is too strong and you're too shallow not to shove here. With no antes the chart says shove 44+ so obviously it's + chip ev, but with ICM you should be tighter.

In the end 88 needs to be shoved (albeit a bit marginal utg here) and hopefully you have other tourneys fired up, so that you don't "care too much" about this individual spot.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 4,745 -
    Oh it's def cEV to shove, but the flatter the pay-out structure is the tighter you need to get. I stuck it in HRC assuming the stacks were positioned on the table in the order given and guessed at the pay-out and got 99+ for no antes and 77+ with antes.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file