Pair plus flush draw

jegingrichjegingrich Red Chipper Posts: 14 ✭✭
You are playing in a live $1/2 game and raise to $10 in the hijack with JT of hearts playing 100BB deep. A lag raises to $20 from the Big Blind and you call. The flop is AJ3 with two hearts giving you a pair plus flush draw. The BB leads for $17. Given that you are in position, do you just call and see a turn or do you like to raise? Does the fact the BB re-raised you affect your decision (i.e., he is more likely to have a set of Aces or Jacks?) If the roles were reversed (i.e., out of position) and you were in the Bid Blind and called a raise, are you more likely to raise a CBet or just call with your pair plus flush draw?

Thanks
Jim

Comments

• Leath WLeath W Red Chipper Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    i would call the flop because villain has range advantage and thus i'd play less aggressively overall. plus we don't really need the fold equity that a raise would provide us with due to great implied odds (since you asked, i'm expecting to get paid more if he indeed has AA, JJ or AJ). if villain checks the turn i'd bet myself and check back the river with SDV if i miss my draw.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    First of all, V is a LAG. So stop seeing monster under the bed, he is way way wider, and I'd not be surprised to see him following this line with A2o, Kh8h or J9s.

Now a LAG has a ton of bad hands, draws and bluff. You don't want him to fold his weak hands by raising, you want him firing with it. So it's only a call for me. You don't want to help him playing perfectly. (Also if you make only worst hands fold, it's not the best thing in the world)

Also note that BB 3bets you to only 10$ more. This is a ridiculous small amount, especially for a LAG. Either he is a LAG and he has a super duper hand and want to build the pot or his has a weak hand a try a cheap blufff. Or he is no LAG but just an aggro fish.
    There is a difference between a LAG and an aggro fish: one will throw chips in your face until you fold, the other knows how and when to put pressure and uses a wide and strong aggression to his advantage.
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 429 ✭✭✭
    Piggybacking off Red, the min 3-bet was a huge signal to me too. No reason to raise here; his range is super wide being a LAG and in the BB, so you may very well already be ahead and are in a situation where he could fire the turn after you make flush. No reason to let him off the hook here. I'd rather him have a chance to bet turn with my made flush and then its potentially off to the races.

If you don't improve and he fires the turn, only then would I consider a raise. You have SDV with your pair and still 18% to make the flush on river. Without knowing this exact V, I find a ton of people are overfolding at lower limits, making this, in my mind, a better place to apply pressure than on the flop.

It obviously depends what the turn is but raising the flop only allows him to fold out his hands you've already beaten or continue with hands that beat yours.
  • GGECKOGGECKO Washington, D.C.Red Chipper Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

If you don't improve and he fires the turn, only then would I consider a raise. You have SDV with your pair and still 18% to make the flush on river. Without knowing this exact V, I find a ton of people are overfolding at lower limits, making this, in my mind, a better place to apply pressure than on the flop.
    '

I agree with @Jordan Power here. If he is as laggy as you describe, I am probably calling down any of my holdings with significant equity. If you happen to catch the FD, then let him fire into you again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file