bottom two on flop facing jam

cxy123cxy123 Red Chipper Posts: 48 ✭✭
Sorry - no hud played on Nitrogen. I play sometimes when bored at work (no d/l reqd), I'm not otherwise a huge online player. Here are some quick notes on each player.

HJ/ Preflop raiser - Wide, definitely opens a lot of hands.
BB - Definitely but will 3b preflop with big hands.

PREFLOP (stack) Action Bet

UTG (2.00) Fold
HJ (3.58) Raise 0.06
HERO (3.16) :Jh :9s Call 0.06
BTN (4.9) Fold
SB (2.00) Fold
BB (2.00) Call 0.06

Btn was playing someone tight and I was expecting I would have position on V with Btn folding a lot. And being 150+ blinds deep with V I was ok taking a flop in position with probably one of the weakest hands I would call with. I really didnt think about 3b pre.

FLOP :Ac :Js :9c Pot: 0.19

BB Check
HJ Bet 0.12
HERO Raise 0.50
BB All-In 1.94
HJ Fold
CO / HERO Calls 1.44.

1.44 to win 4.20 so ~35% equity needed.

My initial thought is I can only be behind A9 here. BB never has AA or JJ. And I block 99 to 1 combo.

Running this range - basically 99, 2p, and reasonable club draws - in equilab
99,AJs,A9s,J9s,KcJc,QcJc,QcTc,JcTc,Jc8c,Tc8c,8c7c,AJo,A9o
I have 24% equity. This surprised me. So now is V ever going with KcJx or QxJc or 1p+ backdoor clubs?

Same range adding in JT with one club I am up to 32% equity.

Also I am not sure V has AJ here a lot. I think that falls into 3b pre. This V, BB, did 4b bet me light when I squeezed out of the BB in a prior session. In that case, he opened, btn called, I 3b with a kind of big size out of the BB and he shoved. Btn and I folded and he showed AT iirc - something like that which I didnt expect. I don't know if he does that on the flop or a connected flop like this. But I do expect AJ gets 3b here a fair amount but maybe not always but that would bump my equity a few points if I remove even 1/2 the combos.

In game I thought I would be behind a fair amount but there was enough flush draws. But looking at it now, with Ac on the flop am I ever any good calling here?

Also any comments on pre-flop, or flop raise are welcome.

Comments

• TheGrindersCookbookTheGrindersCookbook Merrimack, NHRed Chipper Posts: 65 ✭✭
    I think my biggest problem with this whole hand is that you open J9o in middle position. That seems way too wide for this spot. Kind of think that everything after is irrelevant.

Also I dont think AJ is a 3-betting hand.. maybe im too tight, but I don't think I am ever 3-betting AJ. All callers have you crushed.
  • cxy123cxy123 Red Chipper Posts: 48 ✭✭
    small correction to your post is that I called 3bb and didn't open.

but i hear you it was light preflop call and i deserve that comment.
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd generally fold this hand pre but I don't mind 3-betting it from time to time if you recognize that HJ is opening wide. That being said, this hand plays terrible as a call and I'd rule that out as an option preflop. As played, I'm fine with raising and calling it off on this board. HJ will have you crushed sometimes but you're pretty high up in your range and this board is wet enough to have HJ 3-bet you with single pair Ax hands and some draws.
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    JSnow wrote: »
    I think my biggest problem with this whole hand is that you open J9o in middle position. That seems way too wide for this spot. Kind of think that everything after is irrelevant.

Also I dont think AJ is a 3-betting hand.. maybe im too tight, but I don't think I am ever 3-betting AJ. All callers have you crushed.

You're too tight if you are never going to consider 3 betting AJ... If you only 3 bet QQ+ and AQ+, you're very easy to play against.

He also did not open it. He flatted. I would probably fold it too pre flop but its not like its off the reservation. I think 3 betting is a better plan rather than just calling.
  • H4ppyH4ppy Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Excuse the question but don't you need around 25% equity to break even?
    It is Risk/(risk+reward) ins't it? so 1.44 / (1.44+4.2) = 0.255
    Or am I getting something wrong?
  • AHallai_3AHallai_3 Sault Ste Marie, MIRed Chipper Posts: 18 ✭✭
    H4ppy wrote: »
    Excuse the question but don't you need around 25% equity to break even?
    It is Risk/(risk+reward) ins't it? so 1.44 / (1.44+4.2) = 0.255
    Or am I getting something wrong?

Yes your math is wrong here. Common mistake but you added the risk already to the reward portion of the equation. It should be 1.44 / (1.44 + 2.75)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file