Should I be folding the river ot betting the flop here?

hellosummer22hellosummer22 Red Chipper Posts: 71 ✭✭
Big 44$, 15ppl left. I have 14.5bb. I am using an alternative strategy opening here. Min-raising JJ+ and mixing those with some Ax suited and some suited gappers with a broadway sometime like Q9s. Pushing other stuff that needs to be pushed.
Here is the hand: https://www.boomplayer.com/32371002_E4030CAC7B

At this flop, I have a huge advantage over his range.
My thoughts on the spot were that I am not getting called by weaker hands and my hand does not need protection. Thus I check. But later I thought that maybe I should turn my queens into a bluff here. Bet the flop and shove the turn for example?

Also, should I fold the river? Do you think that at this stage, considering my stack size and my min-raise Villian will find a bluff with missed draws for example?

Furthermore, if he thinks I am folding JJ-KK here he has enough fold equity to bluff me off.

I think this is a call that many players make (me included) but should not. Especially at this stage. What do you think?

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,831 -
    Not keen on your opening range UTG at that depth, nor the min-raise.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • hellosummer22hellosummer22 Red Chipper Posts: 71 ✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    Not keen on your opening range UTG at that depth, nor the min-raise.
    I am using Nick Petrangelo's alternative (polar) strategy preflop ranges for 15bb. What do you mean at this depth? Is that depth of the tournament or stacks?
    What do you think about post-flop?
    Stacks. When you've got the entire table to get through and your stack makes it efficient for opponents to 3-bet-jam over you, I've never been convinced that the weak pole can be played profitably.

Postflop. This is sort of the riddle of the Sphinx, isn't it. I think checking back has merit, but then you have to call one bet. Not sure you need to call two. A small c-bet is rarely wrong, but I understand why you didn't. Good news is you nail V when you have AK I guess.
    Moderation In Moderation
    I guess what I'm getting at with the opening range is the following:

Why does Nick include the weak pole in this recommended range? Are the reasons for its presence applicable to the game/situation here?
    Moderation In Moderation
  • hellosummer22hellosummer22 Red Chipper Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited February 10
    If I make a ~1/3 c-bet on a similar flop with all of my range what do you think will be the most profitable line to continue with QQ-KK if I get called? What about other parts of my range which will be strong A or weaker A. Does the situation change so deep in the money? For example, I think fewer bluffs will be induced with check here than earlier stages and against weaker opponents.
  • Joe DoreJoe Dore Red Chipper Posts: 42 ✭✭
    I may be a fish when it comes to tournament play but what's wrong with taking down the blinds here? Is it really worth getting fancy w QQ UTG w 14.5bb?
    If I make a ~1/3 c-bet on a similar flop with all of my range what do you think will be the most profitable line to continue with QQ-KK if I get called? What about other parts of my range which will be strong A or weaker A. Does the situation change so deep in the money? For example, I think fewer bluffs will be induced with check here than earlier stages and against weaker opponents.

Given that V has you covered so that you are the victim of ICM pressure, you probably have to shut down on the turn with QQ-KK. In general I'd agree checking induces fewer bluffs when laddering, but as just noted V can exert massive pressure on you given relative stacks.
    Moderation In Moderation
    Joe Dore wrote: »
    I may be a fish when it comes to tournament play but what's wrong with taking down the blinds here? Is it really worth getting fancy w QQ UTG w 14.5bb?

It's a viable option to open-shove.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file