MSPT $1100 Day 1

MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 139 ✭✭
I miss played this hand and I'm looking for a better line even if it is folding pre.
200-400-400, Pre it folds to me in the high jack and I (55K) have A7 off and raise to 1600. I raise larger because the button likes to call lite and is fairly aggressive so I went larger hoping to fold him out. Button (50K) calls, Blinds fold. Flop comes AKJ Rainbow. I check because the flop hits a lot of two pairs and he could have a better A, He checks back. Turn is offsuite Q (so there are 4 suits on the board). I put out 5K figuring that he would have bet the flop if he hit it, he raised to 16K. At this point I figure for two pairs as he is the type to trap instead of raising if he has the staight. I figure I have 4 outs to a chop and that most of what would give me two pairs would fill him so I fold. He says I knew you didn't have it, I said nice two pairs he said wrong but his eyes and body said right. I am not happy at all with how I played the hand. Input? Thanks in advance

Comments

  • WassenaarWassenaar Red Chipper Posts: 48 ✭✭
    I agree with your aftermath about this hand. I Think you could have taken a variety of lines which would provide better results.

    First and foremost I would suggest the choice you suggested yourself of just folding. Given an somewhat LAG description for the BTN I believe absolute position and getting raised out of the hand both would be somewhat frequent issues.

    Although - imo - at least with fairly tight blinds I would sure to take this spot some of the time myself, so lets proceed from there. Personally I would have a very standard sizing preflop here for two main reasons - 1. I don't want to give any unnecessary information (In tournaments I normally stick to a 2BB open, being pretty confident postflop and risking minimum amount of chips when stabbing often). 2. If I deviate from my standard sizing with an aggro player behind, more often then not I believe I could be giving them reasons they otherwise wouldn't have to try to play back at me.

    On the flop I do not agree with your range analysis... With a quick look at it on flopzilla, my assumption of a LAG on the BTN would look quite different. Given his cold call PF I would assign a ~18% range (3bet range of 77+, AQ+, KQ / AJ being pretty borderline).
    With my range assumption two pairs are not much of a concern. I don't mind the check though. It's looks nice for pot control AND it can absolutely make your fairly aggressive opponent fire out a bullet with what he would fold to a c-bet. A C-bet doesn't seem like a bad alternative either, but it bloats the pot out of position and can surely make further streets difficult (as would have been the result on a scary turn like the queen).

    Now when the turn comes a queen, and you decide to bet I'm asking questions. First because of the sizing (pot should be 4200 at this point). Your bet is for over pot and would definitely make the few second best hands he could have at this point simply get out of your way. This bet makes it way too easy for your opponent to play perfectly. When he comes over the top, board is scary - I would fold here as well thinking I'm beat. I won't give his actual holding too much thought, as I'm not going to get to know his actual holding here anyway. If there were a showdown anyhow (or you have seen this player in similar spots) - I would've labeled opponent more of a aggro fish than a LAG if he ends up showing down two pairs here. Board is not scary, it's terrifying giving the action and your turn pot bet. My assumption is - this 3-bet on the turn is most likely always a made straight (and yes I believe he will have a lot of Tens in his range coming in to the turn).

    In short: Probably a better fold preflop... Throw in the occasional steal. Either c-bet or induce bluffs on the flop (not really sure myself, but I lean towards induce). As played check/fold turn.

    Hope this comes in helpful! My first hand-review as a new member of the Red Chip community :)
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,655 -
    Your rationale for the upsizing pre has some merit if you have direct evidence that V's flatting range is dependent on opening size. In my experience, when the stacks are the this deep a lot of tournament players regard a raise as a raise. With a LAG on your immediate left, I'd much prefer tightening up your opening range than increasing the sizing.

    Even with a neutral button, A7o is a pretty loose open, so that attentive opponent's will notice your opening frequency is pretty high here. I realize some people advocate playing like that, but I've personally got a lot of mileage by creating a tight perceived range which I then open up as stack depth decreases.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 139 ✭✭
    edited February 26
    It was actually a pretty loose open for me. Do you think a flat would have been better or just a fold pre? In the Hijack with an unsuited Ace I am usually looking for a 10 or better to open but will open my range if I feel that I am being viewed as tight, and that was the case here. Maybe level 4 was too soon to try to take advantage of a tight image
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,655 -
    Mnpoker wrote: »
    It was actually a pretty loose open for me. Do you think a flat would have been better or just a fold pre? In the Hijack with an unsuited Ace I am usually looking for a 10 or better to open but will open my range if I feel that I am being viewed as tight, and that was the case here. Maybe level 4 was too soon to try to take advantage of a tight image

    Ick, no, don't flat. With the right table image it's likely the case this is an open sometimes, but be aware that, from general principles, the larger your raise the narrower your range should be.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 139 ✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    Mnpoker wrote: »
    It was actually a pretty loose open for me. Do you think a flat would have been better or just a fold pre? In the Hijack with an unsuited Ace I am usually looking for a 10 or better to open but will open my range if I feel that I am being viewed as tight, and that was the case here. Maybe level 4 was too soon to try to take advantage of a tight image

    Ick, no, don't flat. With the right table image it's likely the case this is an open sometimes, but be aware that, from general principles, the larger your raise the narrower your range should be.

    Glad to hear you say that as I almost never limp from HJ, it is 90% raise or fold. Limp range on the 10% is wide so that it does not give away info
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,655 -
    Mnpoker wrote: »
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    Mnpoker wrote: »
    It was actually a pretty loose open for me. Do you think a flat would have been better or just a fold pre? In the Hijack with an unsuited Ace I am usually looking for a 10 or better to open but will open my range if I feel that I am being viewed as tight, and that was the case here. Maybe level 4 was too soon to try to take advantage of a tight image

    Ick, no, don't flat. With the right table image it's likely the case this is an open sometimes, but be aware that, from general principles, the larger your raise the narrower your range should be.

    Glad to hear you say that as I almost never limp from HJ, it is 90% raise or fold. Limp range on the 10% is wide so that it does not give away info

    Curious what that range is and why you have one at all.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 139 ✭✭
    I try to avoid having a range on the flat that is different from my regular range as not to tip off hand strength
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,655 -
    Mnpoker wrote: »
    I try to avoid having a range on the flat that is different from my regular range as not to tip off hand strength

    So some small fraction of the time you limp? Intrigued as to why.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file